uni grades...how do you improve 'em? (1 Viewer)

misericordia

Confused Member
HSC
Uni Grad
i'm an esl student studying hardcore englishy subjects (esp. law, psych & arts)....i only got 84 for std english last year which doesn't help at all.
for the first assignment (sem 1, 1st yr, essay) i got a big fat P. it was for arts and i heard that it's supposed to be an easy subject, so i feel like a complete failure.
are there any way that i can improve my essay writing skill quickly? any recommendation? and are there any tutor for law? i feel like dying.

aileenli

HSC
Wow, welcome to Macq Law :)

I suggest you do a LOT of English revision before the big Law114 essay because they're MASSIVELY picky about grammar. My tutor said that I had phrasing problems, and I had a band 6 for Ext Eng I.

Suggestions for good essay writing is to form a template before you start the essay. For e.g., intro, argument, conclusion. And don't forget to link all your arguments back to the question. Also, try to use legal jargon because it shows off legal knowledge (that being said, don't over-do it either otherwise it will reek of wanker-ness).

Other general tips would be to do a lot of reading to understand how to phrase your sentences in a sophisticated manner.

Hope it helps :D

misericordia

Confused Member
HSC
Uni Grad
thanks aileenli...gah i must start looking for a tutor.
btw are there any esl people studying law? i feel like i'm the only one :(

ichiraku

HSC
I don't know about Club Macq, but over at UNSW we have a Learning Centre where you can go to have help with general writing techniques, critical writing, discussion and speaking skills, etc. Check around your campus, I'm sure there hsould be something similar at Macq

misericordia

Confused Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks ichiraku! (note to self: find help asap...walk around uni...lol)
Sigh... By the end of this year (if my grades are still suffering), I'm going to have to quit law :'(.

aileenli

HSC
They have a 2cp English subject that teaches you essay writing skills etc. I forgot what its called, but I'm sure the student info building would know - lincoln building near e7b.

aileenli

HSC
Also, I'm sure there are a lot of students out there who study law that dont speak English as a first language. I guess as long as you're working hard at it you should be fine...

deadbeat

HSC
misericordia said:
i'm an esl student studying hardcore englishy subjects (esp. law, psych & arts)....i only got 84 for std english last year which doesn't help at all.
for the first assignment (sem 1, 1st yr, essay) i got a big fat P. it was for arts and i heard that it's supposed to be an easy subject, so i feel like a complete failure.
are there any way that i can improve my essay writing skill quickly? any recommendation? and are there any tutor for law? i feel like dying.
84 is std english is pretty good. if speaking english is a problem then maybe law isnt for you considering the profession, you need perfect english to work in it, especially for the bigger firms

misericordia

Confused Member
HSC
Uni Grad
aileenli, thank you so much for providing me the info. i have to check it out!
deadbeat, me speak engrish goot. :p apparently my ideas are ok-ish but the way i write the essay is crappy...i answer the question but i don't stick with the SEED format...gah. but thanks.
and yeah. i'm not trying to become a lawyer. i want to become a forensic psychologist :)
i guess that i shouldn't let that big fat P get to myself...and i should take it as an opportunity to improve myself (although i feel like getting whipped right now.

....any tutors for jurispridence? anyone?

aileenli

HSC
Jurisprudence is a unit where you basically have to understand the theories yourself and bear in mind that there aren't any fixed ideas at all. (As you go further in the course, you'll realise that everything can be interpreted in a different way)

dion7789

Dodgy Pen Dealer
HSC
misericordia said:
i guess that i shouldn't let that big fat P get to myself...and i should take it as an opportunity to improve myself (although i feel like getting whipped right now.
Dont let a P get to you. It is better than a F...and it is assumed that arts is 'easy' to do well in, but a lot of work is still needed to do well in it. Its just assumed its easy because there are minimal contact hours, but the content is still hard if u dont know it. which you generally dont or you wouldnt really be learning....

X

xeuyrawp

To be honest, it's only going to get harder.

Get some major ESL tutoring and quick smart.

Evilo

HSC
go to the acaedemic skillls and learning centre (or your uni equivelent)

misericordia

Confused Member
HSC
Uni Grad
thanks guys, i've finally managed to find a tutor! yayness....i feel like crap, but at least i'm getting help...
edit: i really do feel like crap. my confidence level is seriously suffering and i feel like i'm the stupidest person doing this course. i can't stop thinking about law even when i'm eating, going to the toilet, etc. recently i saw a dream of me getting F for law. .. . ..sigh. *end rant*

Last edited:

aileenli

HSC
Oh dear - that sounds so unhealthy. An F isn't the end of the world you know, unless you have a perfect 4.0 like Pwar.

If its making you unhappy then I suggest you re-consider your motives for doing law.

Good luck :)

miss-smexy

HSC
Hi! I'm doing LAW114 too... and the assignment sucks... but anyway, even though you understand concepts etc. you also need good grammar and expression - especially if Meyerson marks your essay because her writing is fantastic with regard to this - so I reckon she'll be sure to pick up on errors.

I haven't started on my assignment yet lol =(

misericordia

Confused Member
HSC
Uni Grad
aha yeah. i got a tutor so hopefully that will fix things up... and no meyerson wouldnt be marking it, i think the italian guy is. i'm nearly done with q1 but i'm getting quite sick of everything, tbh...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)