Uni life...help! (1 Viewer)

lexonfire

HSC
hey everyone i was hoping some uni students could give me a little heads up on a pretty simple question. first off i'm doing a bachelor of arts (first year) and so i imagine i'll probably have days off and a not-quite-so-busy schedule in comparison to other degrees, buuuut i haven't got my timetable yet.

a lot of full-time uni students must earn some money on the side and so i was wondering how many hours should i allow myself to work, considering the hours i'd get with a BA? ..now the problem with trying to figure out a suitable timetable is that i'm thinking of doing two jobs, because one of them isnt as regular as i'd like it to be but it pays nicely so i don't want to quit. also, hopefully, i'll be spending 3 of my weeknights doing dance classes. so thats already pretty hectic in itself and i'm imagining its probably a liiiiittle too ambitious, yes?

so i suppose my general question is, how much time on the side will i need for actual uni study, whilst still allowing time for earning money and dance?

thanks for any input

Skater_bum

HSC
20hr study alone is the requirment a week, so not much alone time ..unless you have days off

chucknthem

chuck norris
HSC
1 hour per contact hour is the recommended amount, but most people I know don't even do that unless it's before exams. You have a lot of flexibility in your arts degree, so it's hard to say how much time you'll be studying. If you just pick arts subjects from say social science, then you'll have about 12 hours a week, but if you choose to pick science or language classes then you can have more than 20 contact hours...

kretzy

HSC
I think you'll be fine with it. I was doing arts/commerce the last two years, never had more than 12 hours a week (if I chose to go to lectures), worked 18-24 hours and still managed to get pretty decent marks (which I'm sure could've been improved if I didn't waste the majority of my free time not studying).

decypher

HSC
In reality nobody studies unless there is a test coming up.

Evilo

HSC
ANU suggests 8 hours of work a week. I've seen people do more pretty easily. Do what you feel comfortable with. Unless desperate for cash, i wouldn't work more than 2 shifts a week. If you're really strapped for cash, become a sex worker.

lexonfire

HSC
thanks everyone for ur responses, theyve been helpful!!

and lol at sex worker. that has got to be the ultimate default suggestion coming from a guy hah.

lexonfire

HSC
do you think i'll be having days off with the subjects i've chosen?

someone above said i'd need more than 20 hrs if i'm studying a language, which i will be doing. that's also with 2 other social science subjects and english. i'm hoping i get a day off frankly!

Evilo

HSC
with arts you'll get quite a few days off, but you'll be expected to do alot of reading/researching. From memory my friends who did arts only had 6-8hrs lecture time. Jeeze, with 3 nights of dance you're going to have a busy life. Oh well good luck :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)