• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Unis turn away from single entry mark (1 Viewer)

Should there only be one way of determining entrance?

• Yes, one entry mark only

Votes: 16 21.9%
  • No, a variety of methods should be used.

Votes: 57 78.1%

• Total voters

Anonymou5

HSC
N/A
Everyone? Scan through my posts and I'm sure that you'll find that I have not even referred to most of the people who are advocating a different view to mine, let alone call them an idiot. You're almost as bad as that fuck stick who can't seem to stop twisting my words so as to make it seem that I said something which I didn't.

BTW don't resort to the sad tactic of overglorifying things which everyone knows are totally independent of the ability to perform a job. No one cares if a doctor can kick pig skin in between two wooden posts if he or she is so incompetent that they need to refer to MIMs(sp?) everytime a patient queries them about some ailment they are suffering from. Extracurriculars are only good if the individual is very capabale at what is relevant to their job to begin with. Anyway, I don't want to continue arguing with you or mr.moron anymore, I have no interest in conversing with individuals who look for the easy way out to hide their inadequacies rather than putting in the hard work to get what they want.

Last edited:

liverpool3k

Banned
HSC
Season said:
"kicking a pig skin in between two wodden sticks" indicates that you consider doing things outside of school worthwhile. Its a sign that you can be passionate and care about something else apart from your own needs. Someone who gets involved in co-curriculars can stand up and get involved in something outside of their own little world. How about debating? How about the science Olympiads? How about the UNYC conference? Public speaking? representing your state in sport? Duke of Ed? Music?

Wow... I was never rude to you and for your information I got a predicted UAI of 98.5... additionally I have a host of co-curriculars, and due to personal circumstances I am eligible for EAS which will pretty much guarantee me entry into almost any course I want.

I understand you disagreeing with me, but why is everyone who has a different point of view from you an idiot? I'd like to see your reasoning on that one.

So, doing things outside study means you: a) consider them worthwhile, b) you care about something other than your own needs, c) can recognise opportunity and seize it.
How does this relate to the countless hours I wasted watching the world cup last year?

You don't make a lot of sense Season. Earlier on you said something along the lines of "getting over 99 doesn't = top uni marks". I imagine there is a fairly strong correlation. Congrats on your guaranteed entry to whatever course you wish regardless :santa:

Season

HSC
liverpool3k said:
So, doing things outside study means you: a) consider them worthwhile, b) you care about something other than your own needs, c) can recognise opportunity and seize it.
How does this relate to the countless hours I wasted watching the world cup last year?

You don't make a lot of sense Season. Earlier on you said something along the lines of "getting over 99 doesn't = top uni marks". I imagine there is a fairly strong correlation. Congrats on your guaranteed entry to whatever course you wish regardless :santa:
I'd like to think there is a difference between co-curriculars like debating and music and plain ole watching tv for hours on end :p

Here's a study on it... its pretty lengthy but this is the gist of it

It is clear from these studies that the HSC is a more accurate predictor of university performance in science,
engineering and medicine than it is for arts, humanities and law.http://www.aare.edu.au/96pap/vialw96221.txt

liverpool3k

Banned
HSC
Dunno. I did some essay writing competitions/problem solving comps/interschool music/sport stuff, and I don't think they really align with what you said either. They are a good thing but shouldn't have much weight placed on them...

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Anonymou5 said:
z0mg my parents didn't give me the genes to become a multimillion dollar athelete. I have zee passion, its just that I don't have the body of an athelete. So bring on those endorsements kthx bye.
Seriously they musn't teach you comprehension in medicine. As I mentioned previously, this is not a case of "interview or bust" but rather another factor to consider. The fact that someone else may have missed out by 2-3 UAI points out of a law/med/psych degree and can demonstrate that they have a much better grasp of understanding and passion for the course than someone who didn't get into medicine but has now picked a BALLB because they dont want to 'waste' their UAI is the point I'm trying to make.

My comment about med students was in reference to your comment about how you can supposedly obtain HDs without attending classes or studying. The point was that while being a slack cunt suffices for your course (Bachelor of wasting taxpayers' money), you can't apply your situation to others (such as a med course) as a means of justifying your fallacious claim that face to face teaching is 'out dated' so that it's unfair to assess uni applicants on their UAI. So again, learn to read and interpret moron.
Your whole argument is "oh yours doesn't count because it goes against the things I see in my degree". Thats exactly what I've been trying to point out. Your degree, where you may have to slave over, isn't exactly applicable to something with a more value-skills based objective/outcome. You cannot apply 'equations' or 'essays' to what is inherently a design course, or one which relies on industry experience more than the theoretical background of a student/graduate. Our courses are no less 'wasteful' than yours, but apparently you have a problem that not everyone is paying out of their asses and slaving away at readings 24/7.

Oh and here's a tip. Proper or even decent arguments are based on substance. Verbose circular ramblings which don't strike at the heart of the issue, such as what you've produced repeatedly, don't cut it. Perhaps you missed out on that knowledge because you, being the evidently lazy stupid person that you are, didn't bother turning up to classes. Actually, that does explain a lot. You (self admittedly) don't even turn up to classes and yet you make the ludicrous claim that face to face teaching is 'outdated'? I mean it's like, how would you even know? You're stupid.
Stop pulling this verbose argument out, if you can't understand the words I'm using then say so. We can sit here all day saying shit about substance, but you as well as I have no statistics to back up the majority of our claims. There hasn't been an extensive research done in this field in Australia yet. And if you want qualifications, I've worked on the frontlines with first years, year 12s and other parties (parents, etc) as an official representative of the Macquarie University, and the questions that have arisen are of 'wasting uai' what courses 'entail' and their 'difficulty'. Place upon that what you want, most likely you'll dismiss it as something from 'an inferior' source, but I have dealt with a decent sample size of students to have confidence in my views and claims.

And no, the transmission model has nothing to do with face-to-face interaction, it has more to do with the teachers and their expectations of students to simply regurgitate information. The not-turning-up may have been a bad example, but were to serve as an example of the different learning styles of people, not everyone NEEDS to study in the traditional sense, in most cases, that is probably not the most effective way to utilise this. In fact very few people actually learn using the traditional model of study, ie, listen, write, repeat.

Edit: BTW most of your arguments are fundamentally flawed in that you fail to recognise the dynamic nature of the discussion. This is demonstrated by your selective quoting in which you bring back something from a completely different context and clumsily try to shuve it back into your current argument so as to make it look like I've said or implied something that I haven't.
Rofl, now don't try pulling this. You can't make a claim previously, which seems to underpin a certain aspect of your argument and then turn around and say "this isn't admissable". I have in most cases placed it in its full quoting, and even chronologically aligned them with Season's quotes. You are far to dismissive for an argument.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)