Unit of Study Marks for Semester 2 [USYD] (1 Viewer)

CookBookStew

HSC
I hear that!

Going to classes probably would've helped though, I guess.
Going to class isn't THAT important. Most of the Maths classes have pretty comprehensive notes. What is very important though is to do all the tutorial questions and be able to do them correctly without having to look at the solutions.

jet

Banned
HSC
Ended my degree with an excellent set of results :D

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
What part of 1903 did you find bad? If it was the ODEs section, to me that was mostly just rote learning the solutions and I don't think that's really indicative of how well you will do in upper division maths, it's more a function of how much effort you put in. On the integration side, that had more substance but even then they still didn't even mention least upper bounds and most of the exam boiled down to rote learnt methods. I wouldn't base the decision of 1903.
I didn't find it bad, I just got a bad result for some reason...?
I actually found the ODEs section the best, like I could do all of the tutorials for that really easily and I didn't even go to the lectures for that part. :/
I dunno. I only got 70 in 1902 and 71 in 1901, so I didn't do stellar in those either, but I did have a really bad time last semester, which is why I don't really get what happened to my marks this semester, I guess it was a bit of a snowball effect and stuff as well, but it really just comes down to needing to try harder.

Going to class isn't THAT important. Most of the Maths classes have pretty comprehensive notes. What is very important though is to do all the tutorial questions and be able to do them correctly without having to look at the solutions.
Also going through the notes would've been helpful. lol
Or getting the textbook.

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad
Post great results pls, for mutual inspiration.

(Carrot, Jet, Study-freak, and whoever I forgot)

Last edited:

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad
Define what you mean by "great results".
I'd generally class anything above 85 as good, but depending on the scaling, difficulty, amount of preparation, prior knowledge, prerequisites etc. there's definitely some leeway in both directions.

I can't say for certain I guess... whatever you'd be genuinely happy with.

Last edited:

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd generally class anything above 85 as good, but depending on the scaling, difficulty, amount of preparation, prior knowledge, prerequisites etc. there's definitely some leeway in both directions.

I can't say for certain I guess... whatever you'd be genuinely happy with.
P's get degrees!

#yolo

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Post great results pls, for mutual inspiration.
Alright you asked for it and I'll volunteer.

Commerce side:
Mathematical Economics A - 100.0
Business and Economic Statistics B - 96.0
Derivative Securities - 93.0

Science side:
Mathematics Special Studies Program B - 91.0
Financial Mathematics (Advanced) - 93.0

I'm also pretty sure that I got 90+ in a 4th year STAT Honours subject, but they never told us the actual mark.

...and for the record my WAM is nowhere near as high as jet's. In fact its "only" in the distinction range (the lower end in fact) haha.

Last edited:

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad
Alright you asked for it and I'll volunteer.

Commerce side:
Mathematical Economics A - 100.0
Business and Economic Statistics B - 96.0
Derivative Securities - 93.0

Science side:
Mathematics Special Studies Program B - 91.0
Financial Mathematics (Advanced) - 93.0

I'm also pretty sure that I got 90+ in a 4th year STAT Honours subject, but they never told us the actual mark.

...and for the record my WAM is nowhere near as high as jet's. In fact its "only" in the distinction range (the lower end in fact) haha.
Pretty sexy. You don't see triple digits every day :cool2:.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
What's funny was that first year was actually my worst year. I got 69.0 in Linear Algebra (Advanced) >< and to this day it remains my worst maths subject! (definitely not a pure maths person haha)

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
What's funny was that first year was actually my worst year. I got 69.0 in Linear Algebra (Advanced) >< and to this day it remains my worst maths subject! (definitely not a pure maths person haha)
I hope this is how it turns out for me (except I got 70 in linear algebra (OMG, THERE IS HOPE FOR ME YET!)).

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad
Tell me about it. I'm reading the MATH2961 lecture notes in preparation for next year, (I'd likely do worse than that, having only done MX1/Normal units) the LA section I'm currently studying is what I imagine deciphering hieroglyphs would feel like.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Tell me about it. I'm reading the MATH2961 lecture notes in preparation for next year, (I'd likely do worse than that, having only done MX1/Normal units) the LA section I'm currently studying is what I imagine deciphering hieroglyphs would feel like.
Wait, you have the 2961 notes? I can only get the reg notes off the reg page. :(

Send me da notes brah.

Nick_K

HSC
Uni Grad
I didn't find it bad, I just got a bad result for some reason...?
I actually found the ODEs section the best, like I could do all of the tutorials for that really easily and I didn't even go to the lectures for that part. :/
I dunno. I only got 70 in 1902 and 71 in 1901, so I didn't do stellar in those either, but I did have a really bad time last semester, which is why I don't really get what happened to my marks this semester, I guess it was a bit of a snowball effect and stuff as well, but it really just comes down to needing to try harder.

Also going through the notes would've been helpful. lol
Or getting the textbook.
You probably got screwed by scaling in that case, I've heard a few people who expected much higher results in 1903.

Just wondering, how did you find the measure theory side of financial maths?

If you go to the MATH2968 webpage, you can get Daners' script for 2961. It goes into a lot of detail to really motivate the ideas and hold your hand through it. http://www.maths.usyd.edu.au/u/UG/IM/MATH2968/r/loc/math2961-2012la.pdf

The LA in 2961 will be the first exposure to axiomatized mathematics and that's a really tough adjustment for anybody, so don't feel bad if its hard. I remember when I first saw the axioms for vector spaces I had no idea what was going on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)