Units of study, electives etc for B health sciences (1 Viewer)

mm713

HSC
Hi,
You dont have to choose your electives until the end of first semester, thats no problem. You can do anything as an elective and from any faculty. Im in BHS now and people I know did do astronomy as an elective so thats no problem. Electives do count towards your final GPA, everything you complete during the degree does.
hi lauren, sorry to bother you! i'm also going to have to enrol by proxy this year and i'm not sure what BHS units of study to choose. would you please tell me about each very briefly to kinda help me with my decisions? (sorry again, i know there are quite a few units of study!!) also, thank you for your info on choosing electives!

brownie44

HSC
hi lauren, sorry to bother you! i'm also going to have to enrol by proxy this year and i'm not sure what BHS units of study to choose. would you please tell me about each very briefly to kinda help me with my decisions? (sorry again, i know there are quite a few units of study!!) also, thank you for your info on choosing electives!
Hey,
All the BHS units of study in first semester are core (compulsory units) so you dont really have a choice! In first semester its PSYC1001 psychology and a unit of junior biology (BIOL1003 Human Biology if youre majoring in hearing and speech or movement science, BIOL1001 otherwise). The health science units in semester 1 are HSBH1006 Foundations of Health Science and HSBH1007 Research methods in health. In second semester of first year you do HSBH1008 Health Determinants and interventions and HSBH1009 Health care resources and systems, plus two electives. You dont even have to think about enrolment for second year until the end of this year if thats whats concerning you. But I remember when I enrolled, you just had to write "standard program" on the enrolment form (unless you had specific electives you MUST do in first year) and they just enrolled you accordingly. Remember, you can also change your enrolment for first semester up to the second week of semester! Hope that wasnt too confusing.

delite

HSC
Hey,
All the BHS units of study in first semester are core (compulsory units) so you dont really have a choice! In first semester its PSYC1001 psychology and a unit of junior biology (BIOL1003 Human Biology if youre majoring in hearing and speech or movement science, BIOL1001 otherwise). The health science units in semester 1 are HSBH1006 Foundations of Health Science and HSBH1007 Research methods in health. In second semester of first year you do HSBH1008 Health Determinants and interventions and HSBH1009 Health care resources and systems, plus two electives. You dont even have to think about enrolment for second year until the end of this year if thats whats concerning you. But I remember when I enrolled, you just had to write "standard program" on the enrolment form (unless you had specific electives you MUST do in first year) and they just enrolled you accordingly. Remember, you can also change your enrolment for first semester up to the second week of semester! Hope that wasnt too confusing.
Hey, :)
ive read all of your comments so far but i was wondering if you could help me with a couple more questions.
im doing this degree because i was told by a lecturer at the open day that this is the best next option if you dnt make it into physio.
i just missed out on it.
I know that alot of people do this course because they are still uncertain about what path they want to take , but i def knw that i want to be a physio. However after reading more info about the course, i am having second thoughts. My plan was to do the graduate entry masters for physio. i knw that yu need a credit average but some places it says with this you are guaranteed a spot in it and others say you are elligible to apply, and that it is very competitive... i was wondering if you knw how it works or of any other people who have tried to get in and didnt or did.
When i look at the career opportunities with the BHS there is nothing that really interests me and the 3yrs will be a waste of time. So now i changed my prefernces for the 2nd round offers for applied science(sport science/exercise usyd) and exercise physiology(UNSW) as they seem to more able to cater for my interests because in the end yu can become a exercise scientist. I was gona ask your opinion on that becuase realistically those two courses seem more closer to physio than a BHS. And also im not sure which one would be easier to do any transfers with.
sorry for this extremely long essay but im just really confused nd stressed out :(

thanks in advance
el

brownie44

HSC
Hey, :)
ive read all of your comments so far but i was wondering if you could help me with a couple more questions.
im doing this degree because i was told by a lecturer at the open day that this is the best next option if you dnt make it into physio.
i just missed out on it.
I know that alot of people do this course because they are still uncertain about what path they want to take , but i def knw that i want to be a physio. However after reading more info about the course, i am having second thoughts. My plan was to do the graduate entry masters for physio. i knw that yu need a credit average but some places it says with this you are guaranteed a spot in it and others say you are elligible to apply, and that it is very competitive... i was wondering if you knw how it works or of any other people who have tried to get in and didnt or did.
When i look at the career opportunities with the BHS there is nothing that really interests me and the 3yrs will be a waste of time. So now i changed my prefernces for the 2nd round offers for applied science(sport science/exercise usyd) and exercise physiology(UNSW) as they seem to more able to cater for my interests because in the end yu can become a exercise scientist. I was gona ask your opinion on that becuase realistically those two courses seem more closer to physio than a BHS. And also im not sure which one would be easier to do any transfers with.
sorry for this extremely long essay but im just really confused nd stressed out :(

thanks in advance
el
Hey,
From what I understand, everyone who is accepted into the BHS course has a GUARANTEED spot within the masters course if you maintain a credit average Bachelor of Health Sciences - University of Sydney, but you still need to apply through UAC postgraduate to be allocated this spot. I am just going into my third year now and I would say half the people in my course are doing the movement science major to get into physio. I agree with you though, exercise science is a lot more relevant to physio and at least you can graduate as an exercise scientist. From this point of view and seeing as that career may interest you much more than what BHS can offer you, I would lean towards doing exercise science. As for transfers into B Applied Science (Physio), theyre pretty competitive I think. I have only heard of one student transferring from BHS to physio, Im not sure about how easy it is to transfer to other courses. You could try transferring into physio after a year of uni, whether you do exercise science or BHS, but it would require very competitive grades at uni (a D average at least Id say) and another application to UAC next year. I suppose, for you, the only advantage of BHS would be the guaranteed spot provided. Hope this helped and good luck with whatever decision you make :)

delite

HSC
Hey,
From what I understand, everyone who is accepted into the BHS course has a GUARANTEED spot within the masters course if you maintain a credit average Bachelor of Health Sciences - University of Sydney, but you still need to apply through UAC postgraduate to be allocated this spot. I am just going into my third year now and I would say half the people in my course are doing the movement science major to get into physio. I agree with you though, exercise science is a lot more relevant to physio and at least you can graduate as an exercise scientist. From this point of view and seeing as that career may interest you much more than what BHS can offer you, I would lean towards doing exercise science. As for transfers into B Applied Science (Physio), theyre pretty competitive I think. I have only heard of one student transferring from BHS to physio, Im not sure about how easy it is to transfer to other courses. You could try transferring into physio after a year of uni, whether you do exercise science or BHS, but it would require very competitive grades at uni (a D average at least Id say) and another application to UAC next year. I suppose, for you, the only advantage of BHS would be the guaranteed spot provided. Hope this helped and good luck with whatever decision you make :)
Hey
Thanks heaps for your comment, appreciate it. I am still undecided in what i want to do in terms of what course. But nevertheless i have changed my preferences for the second round just so i can have the options. I think i am going to ring usyd to learn more about the courses nd what they think but i think they may be abit bias.
thanks again
xxx

siddharthlaha

HSC
Uni Grad
hey guys.

this is just something i thought of, Im not sure if i want to do this, but i noticed that we get a number of electives in the BHS. If we do the right subjects in these electives could we finish with another major?

just a thought - thanks

KnifeySpoony

HSC
Are there any other majors besides hearing and speech and movement science within the health sciences faculty?

brownie44

HSC
hey guys.

this is just something i thought of, Im not sure if i want to do this, but i noticed that we get a number of electives in the BHS. If we do the right subjects in these electives could we finish with another major?

just a thought - thanks
Yes you can. A couple of people are doing 'triple majors'. A major usually requires 12 credit points of junior units and 36 of senior ones. The only problem may be clashes in your timetable.

siddharthlaha

HSC
Uni Grad
Yes you can. A couple of people are doing 'triple majors'. A major usually requires 12 credit points of junior units and 36 of senior ones. The only problem may be clashes in your timetable.
can you take a minor? how many units of study do you need for that?

brownie44

HSC
I dont think you can take a minor. Im sure if you planned your degree carefully you would be able to do the double major though.
And yes, the only majors offered by the faculty of health science are hearing and speech and movement science. But if neither of those interest you, you can take practically any major from any faculty.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)