Units of Study/Workload question (1 Viewer)

MetalTheory

HSC
Uni Grad
With offers only a week away, I've already started putting some thought into what units of study I'd like to do for my (potential) course of B Science/B Arts. Reason I've started putting thought into it so early is because I'll be away for offers and enrolment so I need to get this information sorted for my proxy. Anyway, I've compiled the units I'd like to do for both arts and sciences but it looks like I have too much. For those curious, that's:

2 units of Psychology - 6cp each
2 Biology - 6cp
2 Chemistry - 6cp
2 Physics - 6cp
4 Mathematics - 3cp

2 English - 6cp
2 History - 6cp

Total: 42cp per semester, 84 for the whole year

Which brings me to my question: Is it actually possible to take these many junior units of study in the first year, what the workload for doing these many units is like and will it be possible to divide these units between the first and second years? The reason I'd like to do so much is to leave options open for me in my intermediate and senior years of study but some topics are just there for later study or in case I develop a liking to it later on, like physics and chemistry respectively. Another question is whether it would be easier to just not do some topics, and if so which ones?

Any help I can get on this would be appreciated, as I'd like to get this issue sorted before I leave.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Absolutely impossible.

It's hard enough to get them to allow you to overload in a semester but this is absurd.

Forget it.

MetalTheory

HSC
Uni Grad
Back to the drawing board. I've decided that Chemistry can go and History can wait until next year. However, that still leaves me with 6cp more than the 24cp requirement for each semester. That leaves me down to deciding between Biology and Physics, which only leaves me with more questions:

By removing either of them from my units of study, will that mean I won't be able to explore them in the future?
Is it possible to leave the arts subjects to the second year, or even pick up either junior Biology or Physics in the second year?

I'd like to pursue Physics in order to reach quantum mechanics in the senior years but then Biology would open up more units of study in subjects such as neuroscience and immunobiology. I'm already limiting my opportunities by removing Chemistry from my options, but I'm not sure what to decide here. I'd like to do something which will leave me with as many options as possible yet doesn't hinder my own interests.

Sorry I'm leaving so much responsibility on you and the rest of BOS. There's no-one else I can ask about this issue and any further help will be excellent. :)

izzy88

HSC
I would ask the faculty for specific questions if you have them. Apart from that:

I would expect in a combined degree that goes for 4 yrs you wi probably be able to still do first year units in second year- however this should be confirmed with the faulty. Have you looked at this page:
http://sydney.edu.au/courses/Bachelor-of-Science-and-Bachelor-of-Arts

It lists the requirements for the course ie. how many subjects of science you need etc. if you follow that it should help you plan.

The only other thing I can say is that by doing the combined degree you are always going to be able to less from both degrees then if you did each degree separately (eg. Combined takes 4yrs, separate takes 6yrs).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)