universities artificialy inflating UAI cutoffs (1 Viewer)

HSC
PwarYuex said:
Work harder next year and apply to transfer?
I suppose, I'm seriously not fussed about doing a straight arts degree for a year though (and communications/law at USyd is an extra year)

Someone posted on here earlier that its even competitive to transfer over (beyond a 97+ UAI and a distinction average)

Also if you did a straight arts degree for a year and transfered would you still finish your degree in the time you would had you made the combined degree?

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
cannibal.horse said:
Also if you did a straight arts degree for a year and transfered would you still finish your degree in the time you would had you made the combined degree?
normally yes.

Fat Fung

HSC
this uai thing really is confusing me~~~
on one side i have the hope of gettin straight into BArch in either USyd or uNSW with a crappy low 80s UAI according to "news" that ppl get into courses without the UAI bla bla bla crap~~

on the other side i am so reluctant with studying T.T~~~ that means failure in life

engineering

HSC
N/A
doink said:
USYD does this all the time. If there are less applicants than spots they will let anyone in and just put the cut-off at something that is more to their liking. I mean seriously 85 UAI cut-off for engineering is more like the median uai.
This is incorrect.

For Engineering @ USyd the 2008 median UAI was 92.9, and less than 13% of students were less than 85.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
engineering said:
This is incorrect.

For Engineering @ USyd the 2008 median UAI was 92.9, and less than 13% of students were less than 85.
lol, your name is engineering.

HSC
Unis 'are inflating scores'

Unis 'are inflating scores'

"Half of students admitted to UNSW B Commerce were up to 5 points below the cut-off"

"universities were admitting a high proportion of students well below the advertised entry cut-off"

"introduce a university aptitude test for next year's intake."

:)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Re: Unis 'are inflating scores'

lol.

Do yourself a favour and go study instead of trying to figure out if you can get in via some sort of convulated 'trick'.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Re: Unis 'are inflating scores'

sasa-o8 said:
Okay, so is the following possible?

- Got a UAI of 82
- Got bonus points of 8
- Would this person be considered for B Commerce (95.2)?

Or doesn't it work that way?
Wait, what that is simply not possible.

If you get 8 bonus points, your UAI becomes 90. That is below 95.2 (even after the bonus points are added).

I should add that at UNSW with HSC plus, you can only receive a maximum of 5 bonus points (even if you are entitled to 8).

However, if the uni is inflating their UAI cutoffs, then who knows you may make in. But in 99.9% of the cases (i'm speculating here), no it would be impossible for that student to get into B Commerce.

I would also agree with Asylum's sentiments. Too many people trying to work out how EAS points, HSC Bonus points, flexible schemes et al might help them when you should just aim to reach your potential and hope for the best. (I'm not saying you shouldn't apply, but don't try to guess if you can make it when the UAI's and cutoffs still have not been released)

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

cannibal.horse said:
UNSW has 2200graduates and Sydney 1700? I mean, how many people actually want to do law?
I think therein lies your problem.

moodchanger08

HSC
I heard USyd only accepts 200 ppl into their Combined Law courses. Not sure if it's true or not.

X

xeuyrawp

moodchanger08 said:
I heard USyd only accepts 200 ppl into their Combined Law courses. Not sure if it's true or not.
It's certainly less than 1700...

HSC
PwarYuex said:
It's certainly less than 1700...
According to the good universities guide that's the amount of people accross the entire course (1st to post grad). Newcastle's is 585 and UNE was 1700ish as well, that's all I remember. Newcastle has a 1st year intake of around 250 (lecture day info) so I'm guessing sydney would be way more then that.

Edit: If I have the figures wrong I have them wrong and I apologise, but I'm pretty confident in my memory.

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
Can someone please clarify this.

''Almost half the students admitted to the UNSW commerce degree this year scored up to five points below the UAI cut-off of 95.2.

I don't see how this is artificially inflating when there are other courses as well which offers bonus points or

does it mean that the cut-off was less than 95.2 so ppl even below 90's got in?

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Deltan said:
does it mean that the cut-off was less than 95.2 so ppl even below 90's got in?
That's what it means. Students as low as 90.2 were entered in the degree, if the text is to be taken literally. It's different from bonus points for other degrees, where the system is clear, acknowledged and transparent.

Undermines the integrity of the whole system in a way.

Can anyone answer this question I asked earlier:
"Why are UAI's in a long term process of dropping statewide? Are all the UNI's financially dependent on constant expansion, well in excess of any growth in the quality prospective student population?"

Can we see the decline in tertiary entry requirements slowing, or even increasing overall, any time in the next few decades?

Last edited:
HSC
Graney said:
That's what it means. Students as low as 90.2 were entered in the degree, if the text is to be taken literally. It's different from bonus points for other degrees, where the system is clear, acknowledged and transparent.

Undermines the integrity of the whole system in a way.

Can anyone answer this question I asked earlier:
"Why are UAI's in a long term process of dropping statewide? Are all the UNI's financially dependent on constant expansion, well in excess of any growth in the quality prospective student population?"

Can we see the decline in tertiary entry requirements slowing, or even increasing overall, any time in the next few decades?
My teacher (also a uni lecturer) and I were discussing this today.

He says that for a long time and particually under the howard government entry standards have been dropping as universities were required to get lots of bums on seats for maximum funding. Things will probably change under the Rudd government though.

He also says that there are too many universities. Eventually a lot of smaller unis (La Trobe, Charles Sturt and eventually UNE) and satalite campus' (eg Orimburah and Port Maquarie for Newcastle) will close however this will be a slow process as a lot of communities and their MP's will not be happy to do so.

I'm speaking generally though, as a lecturer I highly regard his opinion.

X

xeuyrawp

cannibal.horse said:
According to the good universities guide that's the amount of people accross the entire course (1st to post grad). Newcastle's is 585 and UNE was 1700ish as well, that's all I remember. Newcastle has a 1st year intake of around 250 (lecture day info) so I'm guessing sydney would be way more then that.

Edit: If I have the figures wrong I have them wrong and I apologise, but I'm pretty confident in my memory.
1700 for the whole first year and postgrad group sounds right, but I didn't think you were initially referring to that. It sounded like you were either referring to the yearly intake from the HSC (which is what this thread's about) or the yearly graduations.

HSC
PwarYuex said:
1700 for the whole first year and postgrad group sounds right, but I didn't think you were initially referring to that. It sounded like you were either referring to the yearly intake from the HSC (which is what this thread's about) or the yearly graduations.
Nah I was refering to the whole course and considering: if almost half of Newcastle's students are 1st year (there's a mass exodus with drop-outs/transfers) then the sydney/unsw intake must be much greater - how many students get a UAI of 99.55+ and out of them how many do law?

Off topic whilst its easier to transfer internally is it that difficult to transfer externally? I'm considering doing arts/law at newcastle and transfering over, the subjects line up almost perfectly. The UAC guide says transfers would require a 97 and a D average but I've heard from people that it's much higher...

Apologies for detracting from your good question graney, you should start a new thread.

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

cannibal.horse said:
Nah I was refering to the whole course and considering: if almost half of Newcastle's students are 1st year (there's a mass exodus with drop-outs/transfers) then the sydney/unsw intake must be much greater - how many students get a UAI of 99.55+ and out of them how many do law?
I don't think you understand... You can't look at the whole number of students doing both UG and PG and assume they've all got the right UAI. Firstly, you've got internal transfers. Secondly, you've got external transfers. Thirdly, you've got people doing grad law in whatever capacity. Fourthly, you've got NRSLs generally. And this is just for UG.

You're assuming that the UAI has something to do with the (what I assume is a significant) cohort of PGs. It doesn't, generally.

Your whole argument is flawed on all levels until you look singularly at the entrance of post-year 12 students who have gained access exclusively and plainly by their UAIs - ie, cutting out EAS, etc.

That being said, the most simple approach is obviously to just find out how many people got into said degree/s with UAIs lower than advertised.

Off topic whilst its easier to transfer internally is it that difficult to transfer externally?
There are many threads about this, do a search.

To put it basically, if you're adamant on a course, apply for both internal and external transfer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)