Universities (1 Viewer)

r0mAn0v

HSC
I have observed that people who aspire to get an ENTER of 85 and above are generally very pretencious when it comes to what university to go to. Is there really that much of a difference between the teaching quality of unis? Using myself as an example my first choice would be to do commerce/economics at Monash. This would require a 92, but for the same ENTER (in fact a little bit less) I can do Law/Commerce or Law/Management at Deakin, which in my opinion would be a far superior qualification, and a better suited course for me. Since i dont have a snowball's chance in hell of making a combined law degree at Melbourne or Monash, I have to raise the question how much difference does it really make what uni you pass out of?

exe

HSC
you will get the same degree but when you apply for a job, im sure melb/monash ppl will be the favourites =)

Antler

Custom User Title
HSC
I've been told that employers don't care whether you went to either Melbourne or Monash for commerce sort of things but they do care if you go to a different university. If you wanna do Law you could do straight commerce at Monash/Melbourne and work hard during the first year and transfer to Com/Law, the faculty takes a significant amount of internal transfers into their Law program.

chocolates

HSC
Yeah.. I was also wondering wheather I should choose a more superior qualification at a less well-known university or just an average qualification at a more prestige university even though they require the same ENTER score... hrmm

asa.hoshi

HSC
go to ANU... that is far more superior than any univeristies down here in Vic. But then again, I dont wanna move my whole life up to canberra all of a sudden. but im considering it.

Princesscait

HSC
For Medicine, my first preferences will be Melbourne University and Australian National University for prestigious reasons, ha.

And Asa, do you really want to stay where we live with how busy the main road to the Freeway is getting lately? Grrrr....

asa.hoshi

HSC
lol but there are new shopping centres building near my place though =D

gulamali

HSC
mann melbourne uni, is the best university they are ranked the highest in the world ranking out of all unis in the whole of Australia....so yeah that settled, the thing about going to a better uni is that your recognised overseas as well, incase you do end up moving overseas, remember that you dont know what the future holds.

plus think about it, if i were an employer, and i had 2 candiates for a job, one with a degree in commerce @ melb uni, and the other with a degree in commerece @ deakin uni, obviously id take the one that went to melbourne....

thats just my opinion anyway.

AppleXY

s00 l33t xD
HSC
Uni Grad
Yea, the University of Melbourne is a such a great place /rich. UoM is fknn awesome. But's not the number one uni in Australia. ANU is. (according to the 2006 tables)

Ahh......here i go procrastinating about UoM again LOL!!!

Epic_Postings

lol wut?
HSC
guys, ANU is great and all, it really is. But if you think you cannot get used to the quietness of Canberra (and most people from Melbourne and Sydney can't), then you should work hard to get into a the best uni in your area.

r0mAn0v said:
I have observed that people who aspire to get an ENTER of 85 and above are generally very pretencious when it comes to what university to go to.
not really. Nobody is 'pretencious' because they would like to go to a prestigious university where they will receive quality education. Personally I prefer to go to a top 8 Uni just due to the fact that my competition will be of higher abilities than if say, i went to RMIT and studied the same course.

Last edited:

liverpool3k

Banned
HSC
Princesscait said:
For Medicine, my first preferences will be Melbourne University and Australian National University for prestigious reasons, ha.

And Asa, do you really want to stay where we live with how busy the main road to the Freeway is getting lately? Grrrr....
anu is a grad med program.

*** just looked at their site
The School's foundation was announced on the 10th April 2001 and received the Australian Medical Council’s accreditation for the MBBS program in November 2003. Our first cohort of students commenced the first year course in February 2004.

It hasn't been around long.

Last edited:

Princesscait

HSC
liverpool3k said:
anu is a grad med program.

*** just looked at their site
The School's foundation was announced on the 10th April 2001 and received the Australian Medical Council’s accreditation for the MBBS program in November 2003. Our first cohort of students commenced the first year course in February 2004.

It hasn't been around long.
If you looked at their website, I don't know why you didn't find this:

"Entry to the ANU Medical School is generally available to graduates only but school leavers with a UAI of 98 or greater may apply for provisional admission immediately after receiving their results (for further details see: http://medicalschool.anu.edu.au/admission/admission.asp)."

http://info.anu.edu.au/StudyAt/010PP_Undergraduate/_AOI_Medicine.asp

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Princesscait said:
If you looked at their website, I don't know why you didn't find this:

"Entry to the ANU Medical School is generally available to graduates only but school leavers with a UAI of 98 or greater may apply for provisional admission immediately after receiving their results (for further details see: http://medicalschool.anu.edu.au/admission/admission.asp)."

http://info.anu.edu.au/StudyAt/010PP_Undergraduate/_AOI_Medicine.asp
shit thats easy.. compared to other MBBS programs..

if ure from canberra its a good option.. but then.. u can do science or start med straight away..*shrug*.. but then what would i know about medicine.. you obviously have got ANU covered..

Krieg

HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
shit thats easy.. compared to other MBBS programs..

if ure from canberra its a good option.. but then.. u can do science or start med straight away..*shrug*.. but then what would i know about medicine.. you obviously have got ANU covered..
Err its actually harder since you have to get 98 to even apply compared to other uni's where you can get in even with 95 if you do good enough on umat. It's also only provisional entry.

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
r0mAn0v said:
I have observed that people who aspire to get an ENTER of 85 and above are generally very pretencious when it comes to what university to go to. Is there really that much of a difference between the teaching quality of unis? Using myself as an example my first choice would be to do commerce/economics at Monash. This would require a 92, but for the same ENTER (in fact a little bit less) I can do Law/Commerce or Law/Management at Deakin, which in my opinion would be a far superior qualification, and a better suited course for me. Since i dont have a snowball's chance in hell of making a combined law degree at Melbourne or Monash, I have to raise the question how much difference does it really make what uni you pass out of?
Honestly, I don't think it matters to the employer. Think about the situation if you were the employer. Two students applied for the position, and they both had identical degrees. However, one had obtained their degree from Monash, and the other obtained their degree from UWS. The graduate from Monash scored a lower overall GPA then the student from UWS, and the student from UWS completed volunteer work at the local retirement village during their spare time. I'm not sure what you people are thinking, but the graduate from UWS is in my favor.

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
Yeah, i agree totally with s-AINT

There is so much more to a job candidate than what is at the top of their piece of paper. As long as you have an appropriate qualification, what is really going to get you the job are things like past experience, evidence of good people skills and, above all, being able to communicate effectively.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Krieg said:
Err its actually harder since you have to get 98 to even apply compared to other uni's where you can get in even with 95 if you do good enough on umat. It's also only provisional entry.
wow i did not realise that getting into a medicine program is so hard.. u have truly enlightened me to that..

kido_1

pRoFFeSSoR
HSC
im just wondering what is the hardest couse to get into at uni?

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
med
law
aeronautical engineering (space)

im presuming youre talking about courses that have a UAI cutoff of 99+?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)