University life? (1 Viewer)

kruch

HSC
N/A
Hey guys, just wondering on what you think the social life is like at the uni you're currently at or have been to! Im talking societies, people doing the same course as you etc. I've heard you can tell a lot from the atmosphere at open days, but I kind of call bull crap. Im interested in UNSW, USYD, UTS and MACQ, but feel free to post about other universities for other people :) The environment im in really is a factor in how well I am able to study so dont hesitate to share what you've heard if you're heading to uni next year like me! Thanks everyone :D

Flop21

HSC
I wanna hear about the overall social atmosphere as well.

I continue to hear bad things about USYD, many stuck up kids. But tbh I see a lot of that in regards to UNSW on these forums as well lol, can't tell if people are just joking around tho.

kruch

HSC
N/A

I continue to hear bad things about USYD, many stuck up kids. But tbh I see a lot of that in regards to UNSW on these forums as well lol, can't tell if people are just joking around tho.
I hear that as well! But mainly within the areas which require very high ATARs. People have told me that those who get ATARs above 95 talk down or act stuck up. I dont believe that's the case with everyone but who knows unless we end up there haha

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad

in regards to unsw its mostly stuck up first year law/eng students

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
USYD person I met at the party said the atmosphere at MQ was more talkative then USYD?

baci

HSC
I found USYD to be a really hard place to make friends... Groups were clicky and unless you got in quickly it was hard to make friendships. Ive never really struggled in the past to make friends/get involved but did at USYD.

humanitieslover

HSC
I went to UTS for a year and I'm now studying at UNSW so I can give you a bit of an insight into both Unis :)

UTS- as a first year I found UTS to be quite welcoming. I studied Communications/Law btw. The people were really nice and down to earth! Definitely didn't feel like it was cliquey at all. UTS also had awesome food seeing as Chinatown was literally right outside- never ending choices. Only downside- because of the sprawling nature of the campus, it definitely lacked the 'campus' vibe of UNSW which I really love. It's also not as big in terms of clubs.

UNSW- for me, I really enjoy UNSW because of its social vibe. The people I've met here have been equally down to earth, very welcoming and inclusive. I don't know if it's just the people I've happened to meet, but seemingly across faculties (I'm doing Arts/Law), I've found that people are extremely nice. Again, not a cliquey Uni, but I've heard that within Comm it can get a bit cliquey just because a lot of people attended the same high schools. I haven't found this to be the case in Law or Arts, so can't really comment. Food at UNSW is pretty good, obviously not as much choice as UTS but there is quite a bit of variety. One major thing I've felt is that at UNSW people are more inclined to chill/ have lunch etc, whereas UTS for me, most people were more keen to get home (me included haha). Downside at UNSW- haven't experienced anything thus far.. perhaps the extra travel (but that's not really a social thing!)

Good luck with whichever Uni you end up attending :D

Silly Sausage

HSC

Not really, haven't met stuck up kids unless you count the ones complaining about them.

Flop21

HSC
UNSW hard to make friends if you're not asian

< have no friends
Are you joking? Or srs?

No one cares about race do they? If you're friendly surely they'll be your friend.

buriza

conviction
HSC
Are you joking? Or srs?

No one cares about race do they? If you're friendly surely they'll be your friend.
It's more that sometimes people of the same race will just be naturally mingling with each other. It's also the case that in some degrees there tends to be a concentration of a certain race as opposed to another, so those people will see each other more often. Having said that though, like you suggested, if you approach other people it'll probably work out most of the time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)