University standards writing essays (1 Viewer)

honsaw

HSC
N/A
I'm studying at Business at UTS and i have an essay to do, but my english isn't that good even though i was born here.
I was wondering if it is ok to use simple words in an essay and be able to pass?
I know that university standards is very high but i'm struggling to understand the materials, like i'm findng it hard to put the words in my own words.. so that is the reason why i might be caught for plagiarism.

Last edited:

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
It's not about how big the words are, it's about how the words express your ideas. You do need to have some degree of sophistication with your writing. However, the main thing is to make sure your clear.

You do want to be using formal language though. That is fairly important.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
A lot of people try to go down the route of making their essays sound fancy but end up putting together a bunch of gibberish which is frustrating to read. Don't underestimate the potency of keeping things simple and clear.

In other words, try to stay away from both extremes (over simplification vs over complication). Find a balance that will allow you to actually get your ideas down on paper coherently.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Perhaps you could post a sample of your essay for us to critique?

honsaw

HSC
N/A
^ Thank you. I just wrote about 3 paragraphs and it sound really elementry. I'm not comfortable putting my essay to the whole public.
I'm extremly stressed and worried about this essay and uni. Is it possible if i PM you my essay and see how you think?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
If you wish, I'm fine with that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)