Unsuccessful with graduate applications (1 Viewer)

Loz_metalhead

HSC
Just wonder what everyone's plans are if they are unsuccessful in getting into a graduate program?

I'm still waiting to hear back from some accounting firms, but I don't really have a back up plan if I don't get an offer.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Apply for vaccy spots and go back to uni for another year (masters/honours/etc)... I heard some people are taking up Comm/Eco at UNSW if they don't get a grad spot with just Comm this year.

If your resume needs padding under extra curricular, maybe now's the time to get cracking on joining a uni society and being actively involved- you'll learn a LOT of useful things which you can apply directly to work and hence it'll help your applications. Alternatively applying for volunteer work also can be a way to get work experience on your CV.

AppleNader

HSC
Just wonder what everyone's plans are if they are unsuccessful in getting into a graduate program?

I'm still waiting to hear back from some accounting firms, but I don't really have a back up plan if I don't get an offer.

Well, there are still many other graduate programs( besides accounting firms) that are still accepting applications.

Like are you willing to consider the NSW Treasury? ACCC? Railcorp...etc? Or do you have your heart set on strictly accounting firms?

You could try Recruitment firms that specialize in accounting and finance, there are entry level roles available which could be a stepping stone to a graduate position next time around as you'll have built up solid/relevan experience in your field.

Last edited:

Affinity

HSC
Don't count on getting a grad job that easily.. remember that many firms have grads defering... so they will need less this time around.

Do a grad degree and try to find some vacation work as someone mentioned

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
8,000 applied for CommBank.
5,000 applied for ANZ.

A/C on Wednesday for Westpac.

Will worry about options if unsuccessful with Grad Programs in a couple of months when my position is better known.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)