UNSW Chit Chat Thread 2014 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
That's because they were done lighting fast ;)

Doing a 20 min test in 7 mins is not the best idea :lol:
yes; one should take their time when doing the test. you have 20 minutes for 10 marks so thats 2min/mark and there are 5 questions worth 2 marks so you should be spending on average about 4min/question (that is to think about it, write it out, make sure it is correct, double check) and remember you cant use a calculator [i used all the time wisely, i even went over like a minute or so but because i am a boss i kept writing even after the tutor said pens down]

HeroicPandas

Heroic!
HSC
yes; one should take their time when doing the test. you have 20 minutes for 10 marks so thats 2min/mark and there are 5 questions worth 2 marks so you should be spending on average about 4min/question (that is to think about it, write it out, make sure it is correct, double check) and remember you cant use a calculator [i used all the time wisely, i even went over like a minute or so but because i am a boss i kept writing even after the tutor said pens down]
You should be so careful if you are afraid of 'silly mistakes'. If you have defeated the 'silly mistakes' obstacle, then I think you should speed through the easy questions with maximum focus and then use most of your time on the harder questions or ones that require careful reasoning

(mostly everyone, when doing easy questions, naturally do them quick because it so easy, but they don't realise that they aren't concentrating as optimally as they should be - they think too fast, leading to the temporary dis-organisation of (abundant/plentiful?)thoughts in their mind)

if above doesn't make sense because of grammatical errors or whatever, i hope you get the idea!!!!!!

Last edited:

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
You should be so careful if you are afraid of 'silly mistakes'. If you have defeated the 'silly mistakes' obstacle, then I think you should speed through the easy questions with maximum focus and then use most of your time on the harder questions or ones that require careful reasoning

(mostly everyone, when doing easy questions, naturally do them quick because it so easy, but they don't realise that they aren't concentrating as optimally as they should be - they think too fast, leading to the temporary dis-organisation of (abundant/plentiful?)thoughts in their mind)

if above doesn't make sense because of grammatical errors or whatever, i hope you get the idea!!!!!!
yes i got the idea lol (and the english in this is better than what i did in paper 2). What i try to do is like look at the easiest question and try to consecpitually solve it in my head quickly and try to look for different quicker ways to do it so that i can speed up my time. the harder questions are much alike the same process but i always double check the "easy" questions because i dont want to loose marks here because i wasn't paying attention but i think of the harder questions as "bonus" marks and i just do what i can. like in MX2, in question 11,12,13 i was 14-15/15 but when i looked at question 16 i was like no thank you and only got like 5 or so

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
LOL yeh haha

The limit questions (finding the left and right hand side of the limit) were so time consuming
Those questions popped up in 70% of them so it can easily be memorised how to get the result.

However the approach does seem logical and the logic step should be stated (however its ok if you don't because its assumed) (what I showed you with the 0+ and 0- relation to the part without the absolute value brackets is the logical step I'm talking about).

HeroicPandas

Heroic!
HSC
yes i got the idea lol (and the english in this is better than what i did in paper 2). What i try to do is like look at the easiest question and try to consecpitually solve it in my head quickly and try to look for different quicker ways to do it so that i can speed up my time. the harder questions are much alike the same process but i always double check the "easy" questions because i dont want to loose marks here because i wasn't paying attention but i think of the harder questions as "bonus" marks and i just do what i can. like in MX2, in question 11,12,13 i was 14-15/15 but when i looked at question 16 i was like no thank you and only got like 5 or so
^Bold - sorry i had to do it, gave me a nice laugh lol

yeh that's a nice strategy man, i also realised that i tend to over-think and make more errors when attempting a question twice lol - this happened to me in the recent calculus test :(

Those questions popped up in 70% of them so it can easily be memorised how to get the result.

However the approach does seem logical and the logic step should be stated (however its ok if you don't because its assumed) (what I showed you with the 0+ and 0- relation to the part without the absolute value brackets is the logical step I'm talking about).
yeh the logical step for breaking the absolute value sign

quick question:

lim x-> a+ |x-a| = blah (the limit of x approaching a from the positive end)

Say if I were to clearly explain that 'logical step' you mentioned, would this be right:

As x-> a+, then x>a (not equal to a because x is APPROACHING a) (questioning whether it should be equal to a or not, I'm learning towards not equal)

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
x --> a+ does not equal a.

So yes that should be right.

In other words, I stuffed up q1 and lost two marks on the spot.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
^Bold - sorry i had to do it, gave me a nice laugh lol

yeh that's a nice strategy man, i also realised that i tend to over-think and make more errors when attempting a question twice lol - this happened to me in the recent calculus test :(
you know what i mean ;)

yes i also stuffed up on that calculus test lol (i think most people would have). semester 2 MATH1231 here i come!!!!! [or if worst comes to worst summer semester MATH1101 here i come!!!!]

Korpenko

HSC
I was just able to obtain a free bike from a friend departing overseas. I don't own an helmet and nor does he. What would be the likeliness of getting a fine when riding without a helmet ?

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
I was just able to obtain a free bike from a friend departing overseas. I don't own an helmet and nor does he. What would be the likeliness of getting a fine when riding without a helmet ?
negligible but wear a helmet for safety. the fine is $57 or something - so wearing a helmet would be cheaper

Korpenko

HSC
Well, I never wore a helmet in my home country with any of my bikes, I never felt the need to.
But the bike I had for free, which I just tested, is a complete catastrophe (brakes and chain not reliable, in spite of it looking just like new..), so I'll buy one asap.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Well, I never wore a helmet in my home country with any of my bikes, I never felt the need to.
But the bike I had for free, which I just tested, is a complete catastrophe (brakes and chain not reliable, in spite of it looking just like new..), so I'll buy one asap.
I'm guessing China Or some Asian Country. Maybe even buy a new bike, the way you described it seems like it's unreliable and unsafe.

"brakes not reliable" lol. I am Indian so i can appreciate a bargain (moreover when it's free) but don't risk your safety for it

Thief

!!
HSC
"The function f(x) = x^5 - 5x + 6 / x-2 is not defined for x = 2. Find a value to be given to f(2) that will make the function continuous at 2."

I don't need full working but how do you do that question? Got 0/2 for that in calc test.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
"The function f(x) = x^5 - 5x + 6 / x-2 is not defined for x = 2. Find a value to be given to f(2) that will make the function continuous at 2."

I don't need full working but how do you do that question? Got 0/2 for that in calc test.
Find the right limit and left limit of the function then let f(2) = that.

Thief

!!
HSC
Find the right limit and left limit of the function then let f(2) = that.
oh jokes I got 2/2 for that the question i got 0/2 was:

"determine limx->infinity (sqrt(9x^2+5) - 3(x-2))"

what's the correct answer for that?

HeroicPandas

Heroic!
HSC
oh jokes I got 2/2 for that the question i got 0/2 was:

"determine limx->infinity (sqrt(9x^2+5) - 3(x-2))"

what's the correct answer for that?
I got 6
Times top and bottom by sqrt(9x^2+5) + 3(x-2), simplify and divide by every term by the lowest power of 'x' belonging in the denominator - in this case, x

Thief

!!
HSC
I got 6
Times top and bottom by sqrt(9x^2+5) + 3(x-2), simplify and divide by every term by the lowest power of 'x' belonging in the denominator - in this case, x
Ahhh. I was just trying to divide by x^2 within the sqrt and x outside of it. Which didn't work :p Thanks!

Web Addict

HSC
Just wondering, does our Zmail account inlcude an Office 365 subscription? If it does, does that mean that we can use Office for iPad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)