UNSW Clubs - What are you going to join. (1 Viewer)

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
politik said:
None of you are planning on joining the Atheist Society?

Pfft.

Also, note that for every club you join this year, Arc is imposing a $49 membership fee, unless you join for full Arc membership, which is ~$150.

I guess you'd better start re-thinking what clubs you're going to join.
$49 Per Club. wtf are these people doing with the money.

Pace_T

HSC
yeah i agree asking for $149 is fucking scum. but then again im not the type to join any clubs anyway... :D

Conspirocy

HSC
I don't understand this administration fee stuff. How can you charge the society a fee for signing up members on a per member basis. How can it be a $40 fee, when we all know that every society charges $5 on average to sign up?. How does that work for the societies affiliated with facaulties? I think this is wrong, or you're not explaining it properly.

HSC
are you serious? im not spending $50 to join hellsoc again fuck that

UNSW OWeek

HSC
N/A
The fee is charged to the student, not the society, and is paid to the Arc, not the society. Societies may optionally choose to have their own sign-up fee, which in the past have tended to be less than $10 for most clubs.

The $40 fee applies to joining clubs which are affiliated with the Arc. Clubs can choose not affiliate with the Arc, however they then miss out on many of the free services and resources which the Arc provide (such as free room hire and bookings, stalls at O-Week and other events, etc) to help out the clubs. For these clubs, the only fee the student must pay is the membership fee for the club itself.

The so called constituent clubs, which are affiliated with faculties (or schools), (to the best of my knowledge) draw their membership directly from the faculty (or school), so any student enrolled in said faculty or school is automatically a member of this club, and do not need to pay the Arc administration fee (or be a member of the Arc). The resources which Arc clubs rely on are then provided by the school or faculty in question.

The final terms and conditions of Arc membership have not been made official yet (they will be available before O-Week) so everything mentioned here should be considered provisional. You should check the Arc website closer to O-Week for the full, official details regarding all forms of club membership.

accolade

HSC
Start a student strike lol - reason incomprehensible club joining fees at unsw.
but these fees should benefit the uni + clubs, i wouldnt think though...that they would cost this much.

btw, i think the thread has gone a little off topic.

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
accolade said:
It has?

Anyway, I really hope they fuck this shit off, or at least make it cheaper.

If it's made cheaper or whatever, most likely joining Taiwanese Student Soc and of course Nippon Student Soc again. And MarkSoc... but that's an 'automatic' one.

Last edited:

Conspirocy

HSC
UNSW OWeek said:
The fee is charged to the student, not the society, and is paid to the Arc, not the society. Societies may optionally choose to have their own sign-up fee, which in the past have tended to be less than $10 for most clubs.

The $40 fee applies to joining clubs which are affiliated with the Arc. Clubs can choose not affiliate with the Arc, however they then miss out on many of the free services and resources which the Arc provide (such as free room hire and bookings, stalls at O-Week and other events, etc) to help out the clubs. For these clubs, the only fee the student must pay is the membership fee for the club itself.

The so called constituent clubs, which are affiliated with faculties (or schools), (to the best of my knowledge) draw their membership directly from the faculty (or school), so any student enrolled in said faculty or school is automatically a member of this club, and do not need to pay the Arc administration fee (or be a member of the Arc). The resources which Arc clubs rely on are then provided by the school or faculty in question.

The final terms and conditions of Arc membership have not been made official yet (they will be available before O-Week) so everything mentioned here should be considered provisional. You should check the Arc website closer to O-Week for the full, official details regarding all forms of club membership.
Now if I'm society SocietyABC and I have I dunno say 500 members and they get charged that they are going to give you $20, 000 and it's going to be charged to the student so I assume you are going to like round up the lists of membership of affiliated clubs and then chase it up on myunsw. Then you have Club XYZ that has 50 members and they contribute $2, 000. Why should Club ABC have the same rights as SocietyXYZ? I mean you will still have to fight to book facilities with all the other clubs, yet now you are actually paying more to use them.

In fact, why wouldn't you as club XYZ charge I dunno $20 for membership and get $10, 000 and pay to use facilities when you need them. That makes a lot more sense to me.

This is never going to work. Ever.

UNSW OWeek

HSC
N/A
As a representative of O-Week, and not the Arc's membership committee, I can endeavor to provide information on this subject, however I can't comment on why the membership structure is the way it is.

If you'd like to discuss this with someone in the Arc please contact Hannah Baral, Clubs and Student Development Manager on 9385 7753 or Simon Bruck, Clubs and Activities Management Committee Convenor on 9385 7691. They are continually working on various aspects of the membership packages and structure and would value any opinions or feedback on issues regarding membership.

Keep in mind that Arc membership ($149) provides you with much more than access to clubs, with the full list of benefits listed at

http://www.arc.unsw.edu.au/ArcMembership/WhatoGet.aspx

Also keep in mind than the annual membership fee of $149 is significantly less than the compulsory union membership fees which were charged before VSU was introduced.

Hope all this helps :)

Conspirocy

HSC
Hahahaa thanks Oweek rep. Sorry if it came off like I was having a go at you. Guess I shot the messenger.

Anyway to get this back on top, I guess I'm not joining any clubs that are affiliated this year.

HSC
accolade said:
Not really. What clubs people join, is directly related to how much membership costs. For most people.

UNSW OWeek: To clarify, did you state that clubs which decide to not affiliate with the Arc will not be present at O-Week?

accolade

HSC
Starcraftmazter said:
Not really. What clubs people join, is directly related to how much membership costs. For most people.
i stand corrected. anyways is there like any popular clubs where theres loads of ppl?

^emmie^

HSC
what does an affiliated club not affiliated club mean how do u no if they are or not

juzmister

HSC
It's not going to be a nice time to start a new club...I do not see people paying $150...

UNSW OWeek

HSC
N/A
Starcraftmazter said:
UNSW OWeek: To clarify, did you state that clubs which decide to not affiliate with the Arc will not be present at O-Week?
Short answer: No :)

There will be clubs at O-Week which are a) not yet affiliated, but will be in the coming weeks, b) not yet affiliated and will not be affiliating for the current year and c) are currently affiliated but will be choosing to disaffiliate for the coming year.

To find out whether a particular club is affiliated with the Arc or not, the best option is to ask their members who are manning their stall at O-Week. They will need to know this information if they want to sign up members. You could also ask at one of the Arc stalls, but going to the club itself will usually be quicker and easier.

Those clubs which are affiliated will have got their stall for the free, provided by the Arc. Non-affiliated clubs will have had to pay for their stall hire, which runs to a number of hundreds of dollars. This is one of example of the benefits which affiliated clubs receive over non-affiliated clubs.

UNSW OWeek

HSC
N/A
^emmie^ said:
what does an affiliated club not affiliated club mean how do u no if they are or not
There are many clubs on campus, and all you need to start a club is a bunch of people, a name and something to do! This is great, but most clubs find they need some kind of support in terms of financial support to run events, resources such as printers, photocopiers, computers, rooms and locations to run their events and hold their meetings, etc, etc. All these different forms of support and service (as well as many others) are provided by the Arc. To receive these benefits, a club can choose to affiliate with the Arc. This involves meeting some basic requirements, such as holding an AGM, having an appropriate constitution, etc.

For more details on what a club has to do to affiliate check out:

http://www.arc.unsw.edu.au/clubs/Affiliate.aspx

Hope this helps :)

UNSW OWeek

HSC
N/A
zagadka said:
pretty much the only thing that would get me to buy arc membership at this point is if they had discounts for good bands like the manning bar has at sydney uni.
During O-Week this year the Roundhouse is hosting Grinspoon as the headline act of the final night gig. Ticket prices (which are not yet 100% official) will probably be $40 for adults, $30 for students and $18 for Arc members. So there's a discount for at least one good band (assuming you think Grinspoon are good, which we do :) ).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)