UNSW Comm/Eco double degree opinions. (1 Viewer)

Randox

HSC
N/A
Hey guys hopefully I should get into commerce and was wondering if people have done a comm/Eco degree or are doing one now and could tell me how is it. I heard you could have 3 majors between the two and essentially major in finance, accounting and economics. Is this true? If I'm sure I want a job that is in the business field is it best to do a double degree with Eco? A lot of people choose science with commerce or engineering. What do you guys recommend and think of the Eco course as a whole?

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
My opinion is just do a normal B.comm degree, you will be looking for the same jobs with basically the same degree expect one more major, and in all honesty I think things like work experience and extra-cirrcular add on alot more then another major. The only reason to do the double degree is to be able to spend more time polishing your resume,but that can also cost you two years of potential post grad work experience.

Randox

HSC
N/A
My opinion is just do a normal B.comm degree, you will be looking for the same jobs with basically the same degree expect one more major, and in all honesty I think things like work experience and extra-cirrcular add on alot more then another major. The only reason to do the double degree is to be able to spend more time polishing your resume,but that can also cost you two years of potential post grad work experience.
Hmm what happens if I want to get an internship? If I don't have a double degree will I be able to stand out enough?

crazy_paki123

HSC
in big 4 accounting firms, 80% of summer vacationers(interns) get offered a grad position when u complete your degree

crazy_paki123

HSC
well if you want to do accounting at the big 4, i would think completing a commerce degree asap is the best thing. But a lot of people do combine their degrees such as comm/law. but my plan is to get to unsw b comm or even stay at mac uni and boost my markstowards 80, apply for the internship, hopefully get a grad position, complete the CA and yeah see out the career

crazy_paki123

HSC
and are u a 2013 HSCer? If you are you can apply for a cadetship program with the big 4 if u're majoring in accounting or info systems. cadetship is basically fulltime work with the company whilst doing uni and it is definitely better for your career

Randox

HSC
N/A
Yeah I just finished the hsc this year. Tbh tho I'm much more interested in finance than accounting. Is it still best to just do commerce by itself if you are looking at a finance career. Also commerce is a 4 year degree right? If I did a double degree with it, doesn't it just become 5 years? That's what my sister said. I wouldn't mine applying for a cadetship but is there such thing for finance?

crazy_paki123

HSC
Im not sure but i think theres the UBS cadetship or something like that for finance, also i think the CBA offers a cadetship too im not 100% sure though. A normal commerce degree is 3 years, combined is 5, but hey if u really want to do economics and commerce go for it

RishBonjour

HSC
Yeah I just finished the hsc this year. Tbh tho I'm much more interested in finance than accounting. Is it still best to just do commerce by itself if you are looking at a finance career. Also commerce is a 4 year degree right? If I did a double degree with it, doesn't it just become 5 years? That's what my sister said. I wouldn't mine applying for a cadetship but is there such thing for finance?
Hey mate,

I was in your position last year, comm/eco or B.Comm, and chose B.Comm because asking around - the feeling towards comm/eco wasn't that great.
Since you are looking to do finance, I would suggest against a cadetship at any of the big 4 accounting firms. Also, at this stage, our knowledge is most likely still limited in regards to what each firm offers. It will probably be better to study full time, get an internship in 2nd year and then hopefully a grad position.

I still really like economics (In fact, instead of following the acct/finc guidelines - I picked some economics units in first year - LOVED them), but I think career wise, I would prefer finance more - so stuck to it. Eco is a great degree, especially if you want to get into the public sector - do honours and then try for RBA grad program for example. But I think for now, don't think too far ahead, just pick what you think you will enjoy - experiment!
I just finished first year, and I'm still not a 100% set on my majors.

Last edited:

Randox

HSC
N/A
Hey mate,

I was in your position last year, comm/eco or B.Comm, and chose B.Comm because asking around - the feeling towards comm/eco wasn't that great.
Since you are looking to do finance, I would suggest against a cadetship at any of the big 4 accounting firms. Also, at this stage, our knowledge is most likely still limited in regards to what each firm offers. It will probably be better to study full time, get an internship in 2nd year and then hopefully a grad position.

I still really like economics (In fact, instead of following the acct/finc guidelines - I picked some economics units in first year - LOVED them), but I think career wise, I would prefer finance more - so stuck to it. Eco is a great degree, especially if you want to get into the public sector - do honours and then try for RBA grad program for example. But I think for now, don't think too far ahead, just pick what you think you will enjoy - experiment!
I just finished first year, and I'm still not a 100% set on my majors.
Sweet thanks so much for the reply. Yeah I'm thinking that since I'm not that interested in doing an economics based job, I might just do straight commerce and major in finance/accounting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)