UNSW first year Medical Science Texbooks! (1 Viewer)

mcm97

HSC
Hi guys,

I'm studying Medical science this year at UNSW and I'm trying to draw up a budget. I'm wondering if anyone has a rough estimate of how much the textbooks will cost in the first semester/ which subjects you felt you didn't need to buy them for.

My classes are: BABS1201, SCIF1111, CHEM1031 Higher Chemistry A, MATH1041

Thank you! :)

Medman

HSC
Never buy textbooks unless you will be using the textbook for a few years. PDF all the way. If you really need to buy second hand textbooks. Textbook exchange etc.

such_such

HSC
When my friend did med sci, all she used was the lecture notes. You don't need textbooks at all. Only for additional reading.

fizzbylightning

HSC
Uni Grad
I borrow textbooks from the library and renew them like crazy. But some books are beautiful and are worth buying to keep.

nearlythere2000

HSC
N/A
Honestly, no, you won't be needing any textbooks. The lecture notes are all sufficient enough, but if you're struggling then borrow from the library or find an online version. It's not worth the money.

A word of advice from someone in medical science - all the exam questions will stem from ANYTHING they put in the lecture notes. Sometimes, lecturers give a syllabus before each lecture (great to plan study around), but if you want to do well then have an understanding of everything they've gone through in the lecture and what is printed out. It has worked very well for me.

fizzbylightning

HSC
Uni Grad
Honestly, no, you won't be needing any textbooks. The lecture notes are all sufficient enough, but if you're struggling then borrow from the library or find an online version. It's not worth the money.

A word of advice from someone in medical science - all the exam questions will stem from ANYTHING they put in the lecture notes. Sometimes, lecturers give a syllabus before each lecture (great to plan study around), but if you want to do well then have an understanding of everything they've gone through in the lecture and what is printed out. It has worked very well for me.
Do u med sci at UNSW? If so, r u referring to Peter White?

mcm97

HSC
well, these are pretty conclusive answers!

thanks everyone :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)