unsw network question (1 Viewer)

TheKey

HSC
does anyone know what kind of network do you guys have at unsw, like if i buy a laptop would i be able to connect to the network and use unsw's resources as well as the internet?

if so would i need some special wireless net cards such as 802.11b/g, or will simple 10/100 cards do?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
There is a wireless network at UNSW, look for the access point "towers" around campus

this site has more info: http://www.uniwide.unsw.edu.au/

"Alternatively, you can purchase a Wireless Card from an off campus computer store, however, you need to make sure the Wireless Card is IEEE 802.11b compatible
To access the UniWide Network, you will need to have a VPN Client installed on your laptop. To do this, you must make an appointment with the DIS><Connect Help Desk"

sunny

meh.
HSC
You can get an Avaya card from the unsw bookstore for $80.

Accessing the UNSW websites are free, but costs $1 to login, charged once per day if you login. 10c per MB downloaded from sites outside of UNSW. If you do COMP subjects you will have funding given to you by CSE that you can use for this.

TheKey

HSC
unless the laptop actually comes with a 802.11b compatible card, il definatly get that Avaya from unsw, cheapest card i found was way >$100.

hopefully i will get into that double degree (elec/comp science), but either way 10c/MB is still cheap for surfing just not for games.

thanks alot guys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)