UNSW or USYD for science/med sci (1 Viewer)

kcchippy

HSC
Hey I am tossing up between doing med sc. at USYD or med. sci at UNSW. I am also tossing up between doing science (advanced) or med sci.?

Oh and I got a UAI of 99.45 so I am able to attend all of these options, unless the demand increases very dramatically....

My final destination is post-grad med school....
I would appreciate any suggestions or comments from anyone in this regard...

Last edited:

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
I can't really help on the USyd/UNSW debate, since obviously I'll be biased towards USyd and so will most people in this subforum.

It might be better off to do BSc (Adv) as it gives you a lot of flexibility in case you don't make grad med. You can choose to major in the same areas as med science should you desire.

Also, USyd has grad med, UNSW doesn't (not sure if it is relevant, but maybe sticking with USyd helps?)

kcchippy

HSC
Thanks for that..I was under the impression that UNSW encourages grad med..hmm..but yes I realised I had posted my message in the USYD forum a bit late...but oh well..I could still use advice re: advanced sci or med sci...

tennille

HSC
I am currently doing advanced science and like Templar mentioned, it is much more flexible that medical science. In first year medical science, you are required to do 12 credit points of maths, chemistry, physics, 6 credit points of biology and 6 credit points of molecular biology and genetics. For first year advanced science, you are required to do 12 credit points of maths, but can choose any other science elective, and even an arts elective if you're really interested in that area. If you are interested in the medical side of things, you can major in anatomy, physiology, biology, medicinal chemistry, pharmacology, etc through advanced science. The problem with medical science is that if you don't like the medical side of things, you are stuck with it.

I went through the same thing as you last year, and I was quite glad I chose advanced science because I'd like to do one major that is not medically related.

I hope that helps.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
not to mention that usyd has a much well established tsp program which i believe would def benefit high acheivers like ur self... in 1st year tsp, you are assigned to a 3rd year mentor, to complete a project outside your normal timetabling... it gives u a taste of what post grad work is like in discipline of science...

at the end of the year, you get to present your project in eastern ave auditorium in front of 500 pplz....

very fun ^^

kcchippy

HSC
How do you apply to get into TSP?

How do you apply to get into TSP? Is it too late? What procedure/criteria is it based on?

Isn't it enough just to do advanced science? Is TSP like majorly difficult to do well in?

tennille

HSC
kcchippy said:
How do you apply to get into TSP? Is it too late? What procedure/criteria is it based on?

Isn't it enough just to do advanced science? Is TSP like majorly difficult to do well in?
TSP applications occur during the semester. For TSP chemistry, you need a UAI of>98.7 and a band 6 in HSC chemistry. To stay in TSP, you have to maintain a distinction average. I know for chemistry, the only difference betwen adv and TSP is the practicals. I'm not sure if the scaling is higher or not.

What do you mean "isn't it enough to do advanced science"?

Olsen

Hates cold mornings..
HSC
She means does it matter whether or not u have done TSP. Well the TSP program means u can do extra stuff on top which may mean working on projects usually done in later years - if ur interested in that sorta stuff then go for it. As for it being an advantage for a job that i can't say as some employers might care about it whilst others take it into consideration with everything else u have to offer.

SeDaTeD

HSC
Actually Tennille is refering to the Chem SSP - special studies program. That's the one that just requires the high marks in chem, and you don't have to be a tsp student to be in chem ssp, and vice versa. The main difference in first year is that you get different lab sessions. Staying/ joining in it for second semester just depends on your chem marks I believe.

There is also a maths SSP for those with high marks in maths. There is a selection meeting in first week where you go and fill out forms. This is generally 3 extra topics done during the semester, one hour per week. Again, the selection is independant of TSP selection. Also, those enrolled in the BSc (Adv maths) degree are automatically invited, they just have to show up for the meeting.

For the TSP, you do not apply, you get invited. You'll get in with a uai of 99+ and at least one band 6 in a science or 95+ in ext2 maths. The advantages you get are up to you. To me I found it very useful for waivering prerquisites for higher year units. And yeah, the TSP projects are a nice thing on top of your regular coursework. How much or how little you do with TSP is up to you. You can also discuss with your coordinator, if you are really interested in a certain area, to tailor make a unit of study, just for yourself.

Also, in second semester for physics, TSP students have the opportunity to do a research project on a more interesting topic than the normal lab project that every other student does. I didn't do it though coz I didn't feel like doing so much work haha.

If you are still concerned about the 'really hard to do majorly well in' bit, don't worry. Doing TSP can only help you. There's no obligation to do any TSP activities. You can just be in it and have it on your CV if you want.

Staying in, I'm not quite sure, but I think you need a D average and at least one HD in the relevent subject area.

Oh, and @Xiao: 500 people? Hahaha, you saw how many turned up to see us this year. It was a disappointment. We originally wanted to get the audience to do a Mexican wave but the lack of people was a problem haha. I'd say less than 50 people other than the actual TSP students and the lecturers who marked us.

A

adamsaclown

i think you need a HD average AND a HD in a relevant subject area to stay in the TSP

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
SeDaTeD said:
To me I found it very useful for waivering prerquisites for higher year units.
You just need to find someone willing to sign, that's all.

ANd it's 80 average to stay in the TSP.

A

adamsaclown

Templar said:
ANd it's 80 average to stay in the TSP.
Did they change it for 2006? Cos in the 2005 handbook it says

"to be considered for the program in their second and third years, students should normally have WAMs of 85 or over and a high distinction in an appropriate Science subject area"

or are they referring to people who weren't invited to the TSP in first year?

SeDaTeD

HSC
Yeah I think it's different for people staying in and being invited in later years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)