UNSW or USYD Law? (Question upgraded) (1 Viewer)

candylollypop

HSC
I'm planning to do com/law. ATAR 99.85, so I'm just 0.05 short of a Scientia scholarship at UNSW worth $10,000 per year.
Personally, I'm more inclined to studying com/law at UNSW, because it has a better commerce program (or so everyone says).
But now, USYD has offered me a $6,000 per year scholarship. That's a lot of money.

WHAT SHOULD I DO?! :O

fanx guyth :)

AussieVesti

Retired Account
HSC
I would be inclined to say that USYD would be the best option because of that scholarship.

Try not to get too worked up about purported reputation when choosing a degree program.

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
ill take the scholarship anyday tbh

halapenyo

HSC
go with USYD. the scholarship is too good to miss. also usyd has a better campus and better law degree. UNSW is definitely the best for Comm though because their commerce degree allows a lot of flexibility.

omgSOS

HSC
No, UNSW has a far better campus life and also a better comm degree compared to USYD. I have friends at both UNSW and USYD studying combined law and my friends at USYD regret going there, so you should follow your instincts and go to UNSW.

avro

HSC
Take the scholarship. Bonus, Sydney is excellent for law too. That's $6000 in your pocket and allows you to focus a lot more on your degree.

laura_a

HSC
I was going through something similar, except my decision was between combined law/ commerce at USYD (entry scholarship $6000) or UTS Co-Op for accounting ($43000 over 3 yrs). I'm just going to give you the best piece of advice that my friend's dad gave me: What's a few thousand dollars now, when in 30 yrs time, you'll be on a 100k salary. Don't every make a decision based on money, because if you do something you love, the money will come. Personally, USYD has the better law program. That's what they're renowned for. And yes, the ASB is the no. 1 business school in NSW, but to be honest you're better of doing combined laws at USYD. But that's just my personal opinion.

halapenyo

HSC
I was going through something similar, except my decision was between combined law/ commerce at USYD (entry scholarship $6000) or UTS Co-Op for accounting ($43000 over 3 yrs). I'm just going to give you the best piece of advice that my friend's dad gave me: What's a few thousand dollars now, when in 30 yrs time, you'll be on a 100k salary. Don't every make a decision based on money, because if you do something you love, the money will come. Personally, USYD has the better law program. That's what they're renowned for. And yes, the ASB is the no. 1 business school in NSW, but to be honest you're better of doing combined laws at USYD. But that's just my personal opinion.
lol you dont have to wait 30 yrs to earn 100 k a year. you can earn that sort of money much earlier depending on the job you do.

thelighthorse

HSC
Candy, you're amazing and you will do so well at whichever uni you go to. It won't matter too much. Personally, I vote USYD, because it'll be much easier to go through uni without money stresses and you can focus on your study and getting involved in uni life, which is the important thing. But don't stress too much. Love you xxxx

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
$6000 doesn't buy a better university experience.

Go with UNSW.

HSC
Uni Grad
$6000 doesn't buy a better university experience.

Go with UNSW.
Doesn't mean that UNSW offers the best uni experience for them however. Some people have really enjoyed USYD, others have enjoyed UNSW a lot too.

But even then, for a law degree, $6,000 is not that much compared with what you will have to end up paying anyway.

Also, to the OP: what sort of person are you? are you a practical sort of person, then, go to UNSW to do law. If you're more theoretical, then head to USYD law (USYD law tends to be more theoretical than UNSW). Also, what field do you want to work in? Do you want to work in the commerce related fields? or do you want to work in only law?

izzy88

HSC
UNSW and USYD law are both great law schools. Both are well recognised, and there is no real difference between how law firms/employers view either one.

As for the scholarship - my advice is to not let money change you from whatever your desire is in terms of uni's/degrees. Most of my friends who changed their minds and took the money ended up transferring back to their original choice of uni.

However you should look to other factors when choosing which university to attend - which uni is easier for you to get to? Is there good public transport? Are there social activities that sound appealing to you at either university? Social life etc.

Also look to the commerce degree reputation/how it is structured etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)