UNSW to decide on HECS increase (1 Viewer)

ohne

HSC
Originally posted by addz
paying 25% more does not = better quality facilites

potentially could....but may not amount to anything..
where else do you expect the money would go then? why do you think american unis are so much better than australian ones?

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by ohne
where else do you expect the money would go then? why do you think american unis are so much better than australian ones?
There was never a guarantee that the HECS hike would result in any improvements within a university.

addz

HSC
Originally posted by theone123
i think the hecs hikes is goin to substantially affect the overall demand for uni, i would predict unis would have lower cutoffs in future.

but hecs is the standard...how would that affect people going to uni or not...it shoudnt affect the demand for entries (since the purpose of cutoffs is that places are full)....maybe in courses with lower demands..

or i'm just alkin shit

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by theone123
i think the hecs hikes is goin to substantially affect the overall demand for uni, i would predict unis would have lower cutoffs in future.
I doubt it
Demand rises every year for university - its not rising school leavers, thats pretty much standard - its the rising level of non-school leavers applying for uni
but we'll see in the coming years..

ohne

HSC
Originally posted by santaslayer
There was never a guarantee that the HECS hike would result in any improvements within a university.
if a university has more money then that money can be spent on better buildings, better equipment, more lecturers etc. a 25% increase i HECS would lead to a better unsw and it is necessary to keep up with other unis like usyd, if unsw doesn't raise HECS by 25% we will be left behind with shit facilities

addz

HSC
Originally posted by ohne
if a university has more money then that money can be spent on better buildings, better equipment, more lecturers etc. a 25% increase i HECS would lead to a better unsw and it is necessary to keep up with other unis like usyd, if unsw doesn't raise HECS by 25% we will be left behind with shit facilities

i think the facilities right now are pretty good...
then again i'm first year and havent had class everywhere...but apart from CLB...building wise its pretty good.

and look at usyd...the core buildings of the uni..is still from like 100 years ago..

lecturer wise...meh...who knows...

ohne

HSC
Originally posted by addz
i think the facilities right now are pretty good...
then again i'm first year and havent had class everywhere...but apart from CLB...building wise its pretty good.

and look at usyd...the core buildings of the uni..is still from like 100 years ago..

lecturer wise...meh...who knows...
ROFL. The CLB is just a lecture building they chucked up in the 1960's. What is so good about it? There is far more to a university than its buildings and lecturers.:eek:

mic

Chronic Burper
HSC
N/A
there's been 2 emails sent to us about the monday 21 june meeting about HECS:

Dear Students and Staff

You may be aware that the UNSW Council will decide the level at which
HECS charges will be set at its 21 June 2004 meeting.

As there has been considerable interest shown by the University community in relation to this issue, a live video link from the Council Chamber will be broadcast into the Mathews B Lecture Theatre to enable UNSW staff and students to witness the deliberations on HECS charges at the Council meeting.

Please note that the Gallery to the Council Chamber will be closed to observers. Student representatives have been invited to attend the Council meeting in person. All other University students and staff are welcome to attend the video link-up in the Mathews B Lecture Theatre, which will be open from 1.30 pm, with the live video link commencing at 2.00pm.

Yours sincerely

Mark S Wainwright
Acting Vice-Chancellor

AND:

Dear Students

We are writing to inform you about the current proposals to maintain or increase HECS fees at UNSW. On Monday 21 June the University Council will meet and will be debating an increase in HECS fees. This could result in an increase of up to 25% in HECS charges for every student at UNSW.

The University Administration has undertaken invitation-only consultations with some student groups across campus.

It is essential that you make your voice heard!

The Guild is encouraging students to write letters to University Council Members, and telling them why they shouldn't vote for a 25% increase at UNSW. For more information, drop by the Guild.

We are encouraging students to come along on 21 June as the Councillors make their decision. Due to the limited number of places within the Council Chamber, proceedings will be broadcast into Mathews Lecture Theatre B from 2:00 pm.

If you would like any more information on any of these matters, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Yours

Courtney Roche
PRESIDENT
UNSW Student Guild

Martin Donaldson
VICE-PRESIDENT
UNSW Student Guild

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by flyin'
Thanks.

Hope Macq doesn't charge more (anytime soon). Fortunately, I already have a unit lined up which will cost me nothing =D
Originally posted by Minai
Well, according to that document above:
Macquarie - No Formal decision made - proposal to maintain current levels
Originally posted by ...
haha

apparently they are allowing students to take advance maths or something along that line for free =D =D

but fuck, sif do maths in uni
Originally posted by Minai
wats the bet that course will be overenrolled
Originally posted by ...
but its bloody maths..
(i'll let flyin' confirm this)

atm my maths course, unless ur a delicated maths students, u'll hate it to bits :p
There are currently 6 people in total taking the Math233/334 (they're the same unit with same everything except unit code). I doubt there'll be overenrolment.. because you need to be "invited" or do the Advanced First Year Mathematics units which unless you're an actuarial you're unlikely to do.. overenrol as in increase candidate by 100% to 12 students, hehe =p

ace

is retired
HSC
That'll pay for that experimental hover room dome thing in the sky. Imagine that, the only uni with a levitating room.

THAT'D BE MAD!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the serious side, UNSW actually has a RIDICULUOUS profit margin, many many many MILLIONS a year. Like i SAID RIDICULOUS.

Also they own alot of land, i.e. the RACECOURSE, which they lease to the AJC for a TIDY SUM ($$$).
So there CAPITAL IS ZOOMING!.

25% is BS, Universities are like any other business, to make money. Just in this case, the uni provides an education as its services.

STILL I DUN WANT TO COUGH UP MORE DOUGH. FUCKING HOWARD!

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
UNSW decision on student fees
22 June 2004

The Council of the University of New South Wales yesterday endorsed the following recommendations in relation to student fees:

1. Council notes that the Australian Government has failed to provide appropriate funding and indexation for public higher education for at least a decade.

2. That accordingly, and with deep regret, Council acknowledges the need to set its higher education contribution levels for both undergraduate and postgraduate coursework courses at the maximum allowed by the Higher Education Support Act 2003 in order to:
a. Maintain and improve the quality of academic programs and the student experience at UNSW;
b. Improve the accessibility of academic programs to students from indigenous, rural and isolated, and low socio-economic backgrounds;
c. Increase the number of students undertaking honours programs.

3. Council approves the University setting its higher education student contribution levels for all courses as follows:
2005: 100% of the indexed indicative HECS level
2006: 125% of the indexed indicative HECS level
2007: 125% of the indexed indicative HECS level

4. Council requests the Vice-Chancellor to provide a report on the planned implementation of these recommendations to its meeting in October 2004, and provide a report on the actual implementation of these recommendations to its meeting in June 2005.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I thought it was reassuring to hear that the Chancellor was against the 'reforms'.

Guess that Vice-Chancellor has a few more strings he can pull.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)