• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

UNSW vs USYD (campus) (1 Viewer)

mahdi

HSC
Ok so what campus does everyone think is better out of New South Wales and Sydney? Personally i think UNSW has the better campus (especially for engineering which is what i want to do) but i havn't seen enough of either.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
to be honest unsw would have the better campus in terms of getting to your classes (unless all the classes for usyd engineering are all allocated in the same area).

unsw has a shit library vs usyd's awesome library (though i really like the new upgrade in unsw's library). though a further point will be your infrequent use of the library through uni life =P

HSC
N/A
some tard said:
to be honest unsw would have the better campus in terms of getting to your classes (unless all the classes for usyd engineering are all allocated in the same area).
And they are, you delinquent moron.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
thanks champ. have you visited both campuses?

if you read my post correctly, in brackets i indicated an assumption of usyd engineering classes to be in the same area since usyd has a much larger campus compared to unsw.

whereas, at unsw you could be a business student and have classes in the biomedical science building or have classes in the eletrical engineering etc.

runnable

HSC
USyd's campus overall is better than UNSW's IMO, with the exception of the Commerce building.

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
thanks champ. have you visited both campuses?
He transferred out of UNSW to USYD.

As for campuses, who cares. Because chances are, if you're doing a degree that takes beyond 3 years, you're going to be fucking sick of seeing and going to any university (no matter how nice it is) after that long.

Simply put. The older you get, the less time you'll want to be on campus.

Domm

HSC
He transferred out of UNSW to USYD.

As for campuses, who cares. Because chances are, if you're doing a degree that takes beyond 3 years, you're going to be fucking sick of seeing and going to any university (no matter how nice it is) after that long.

Simply put. The older you get, the less time you'll want to be on campus.
I dunno about that. I like being on campus and I've had quite a lot to do with them. Postgrad now.

Usyd's campus is pretty. Sandstone is sandstone. Looks like Hogwarts or something. It's also closer to the city and generally just a better location. UNSW is ugly and soulless.

lala2

Banned
HSC
UNSW is very uniform. So it's nice if you want something modern and consistent in its aesthetics. The layout is very simple considering--it's basically walk straight up the main pathway. Even as a Year 11/12 student with no idea of the university's layout, I was able to find my way around fairly easily during the open days.

USYD is very old and rambly. Sure, it's got history with the Quad (and every other building too) but generally it's an odd and rather incongruous match in some parts--Fisher versus new Law building anyone? Quad is generally restricted to Arts subjects. So unless you're an Arts student, prepare not to see the Quad. The layout is very difficult, partially because the uni is so big. The main entrance is up University Drive, but most people would think it was Eastern Avenue, the way they've revamped it (which unfortunately looks like a bad version of UNSW's main walkway).

So in conclusion, UNSW is better in terms of overall aesthetics, but USYD has the prettier individual buildings.

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
I dunno about that. I like being on campus and I've had quite a lot to do with them. Postgrad now.

Usyd's campus is pretty. Sandstone is sandstone. Looks like Hogwarts or something. It's also closer to the city and generally just a better location. UNSW is ugly and soulless.
UNSW is modern and straight forward. There's nothing I like more than heading down the main walkway in the evening as the sun sets. USYD is in a better location than UNSW for sure but that would mean if I went to USYD, I'd have to walk through that shithole called Redfern everyday (or shuttle bus it from what I hear).

I actually haven't seen USYD since it looked like a construction site back in 2007. I also think sandstone is shit. But that's only because of my high school background.

Each to his own however.

izzy88

HSC
whereas, at unsw you could be a business student and have classes in the biomedical science building or have classes in the eletrical engineering etc.
well this happens at usyd as well- i have law classes in the physics building and carslaw (traditionally science/maths area) and I have history tutorials in the new law school building. I think it all depends on timetabling and room capacity etc...

Uncle

Banned
HSC
UNSW is modern and straight forward. There's nothing I like more than heading down the main walkway in the evening as the sun sets. USYD is in a better location than UNSW for sure but that would mean if I went to USYD, I'd have to walk through that shithole called Redfern everyday (or shuttle bus it from what I hear).

I actually haven't seen USYD since it looked like a construction site back in 2007. I also think sandstone is shit. But that's only because of my high school background.

Each to his own however.
Except for the Science and Engineering buildings.
Still prefer UNSW over USYD.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC

Each to his own however.
Or walk/bus it from Central. *shrug*

RDX

one8seven
HSC
Uni Grad
From looking at pictures I liked UNSW more.

mahdi

HSC
Ok cool, it looks like unsw has the better campus (for most of you). I just havn't seen enough of usyd, but i dont really feel for the Hogwarts look so i think i would like unsw better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)