UNSW's new law entry?? (1 Viewer)

heyoverthere

HSC
Hey guys,

Don't know if you've checked out UNSW's new law admissions test to gain entry to law in 2017 and onwards?

What are your thoughts and do you guys reckon other unis will start to follow a similar system?

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
It's become almost standard with many Law Schools in Victoria... I don't see the point of them, I personally did one, your performance in them has nothing to do with your competencies to study Law... The actual test is no different to an aptitude test you would do for a graduate role... It is very reading intensive and mostly multiple choice... pretty much lose all motivation by the end of it and take pot shot guesses after looking at the amount of people in the exam hall...

Oer

Started from the fundus
HSC
It's become almost standard with many Law Schools in Victoria... I don't see the point of them, I personally did one, your performance in them has nothing to do with your competencies to study Law... The actual test is no different to an aptitude test you would do for a graduate role... It is very reading intensive and mostly multiple choice... pretty much lose all motivation by the end of it and take pot shot guesses after looking at the amount of people in the exam hall...
Seems they're going for a different format. From the booklet I just read:

"Format:
Two questions requiring a written response.
LAT will not require any knowledge specific to Law."

Source: http://www.law.unsw.edu.au/sites/la...ks/lat/UNSW-Law-Admission-Test-LAT/index.html

So looks like written rather than multiple choice.

Idk how I feel about it. If it's proven to produce more balanced/successful graduates then it'd be interesting.
Otherwise it could put another cost/academic barrier to people wanting to study UNSW Law. Or maybe some talented people opting for the simpler ATAR route at other unis?

Will be interesting to see how the details of admission pan out, and if other NSW unis will follow suit.

Also I sense a new tutoring area for a lot of people... :/

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
Was speaking with the dean and he mentioned its just another barrier to stop who do mostly math and science subjects that pick law mainly for the 'prestige' and are unable to keep up with the amount of reading and writing that the course demands.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Was speaking with the dean and he mentioned its just another barrier to stop who do mostly math and science subjects that pick law mainly for the 'prestige' and are unable to keep up with the amount of reading and writing that the course demands.
Yet there's people who argue that only Maths/Science people, as opposed to Humanities (English/Legal Studies/Business Studies/Economics/History) people, have the 'critical thinking' abilities to take on Law.

Personally, I think more Humanities students (relatively) should be taking on Law as well but people will argue that PRELIM/HSC subject selections (done in Year 10) shouldn't determine anything.

As for the level of readings, I mean every high school student will essentially have to adapt to that - it's not just Maths/Science people.

Silky_Smooth

HSC
Just wondering whether this test applies to any universities outside of UNSW. If not then why would anyone apply for law there!??!

Last edited:

heyoverthere

HSC
I'm actually totally for it from what I gage about it! (Although their really isn't much information)
I thinks it's great because it avoided annoyingly missing out on law by a really narrow margin, like for example getting 99.1 instead of 99.7, I mean tbh you are definitely not incapable of doing law of you get a mark like 99.1 so it would be really unfortunate
I think it provides you with a greater safety net in that regard

HSC
Uni Grad
I would think it's a good idea as well - plenty of kids just do the high scaling subjects (i.e. 4U maths, physics, chem), and then pick a course based on what ATAR they got, which often or not tends to be combined law. And then they realize they make a wrong choice because in the end they don't like it due to the large amount of readings, as well as class participation involved.

Also I believe that with the current system, I'd definitely can say that you in order to get the ATAR required for law, you have to work much much harder with humanities subjects compared to those who do 4U Maths, for example. I know plenty of students who missed out ATAR wise, even though they were clearly capable of doing law, but unfortunately they missed out even though they got band 6s. Having a test like this might be able to discriminate those who are actually good at doing what is required for law, as opposed to those who just rote-learned their way through the syllabus. It's also an opportunity for those who were pretty close off but didn't make it into the law, to give them a chance to gain entry.

I for one though, would ask unis to reduce the number of law places out there - there's too many law graduates out there and not enough jobs. As they say, law is the new arts.

Last edited:

Silky_Smooth

HSC
And then they realize they make a wrong choice because in the end they realize they don't like it due to the large amount of readings, as well as class participation involved.
So blame the law dropouts!!!

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
So blame the law dropouts!!!
I blame the people that do it for "prestige ", to not waste their atar points and because of pressure from parents.

Dropouts happen in engo but they don't have any sort of iq test or such like that .

heyoverthere

HSC
Also I sense a new tutoring area for a lot of people... :/
hahaha I know, was just thinking about how it would probably end up losing its initial purpose in getting rid of "wrote-learners" because of tutoring that's likely to arise for it, like it has for the UMAT

Oer

Started from the fundus
HSC
hahaha I know, was just thinking about how it would probably end up losing its initial purpose in getting rid of "wrote-learners" because of tutoring that's likely to arise for it, like it has for the UMAT
Though it should be noted that since it's two-question written (i.e. it sounds like extended response); depending on what questions they give and if they keep them fresh, it could depend a lot on the person's ability to write something new on the day, which can be practised only to an extent.

The UMAT is an MCQ exam with a fairly predictable format.

I don't doubt tutoring will arise for LAT though, especially if more NSW unis do them in the future.

axwe7

HSC
N/A
I would think it's a good idea as well - plenty of kids just do the high scaling subjects (i.e. 4U maths, physics, chem), and then pick a course based on what ATAR they got, which often or not tends to be combined law. And then they realize they make a wrong choice because in the end they don't like it due to the large amount of readings, as well as class participation involved.

Also I believe that with the current system, I'd definitely can say that you in order to get the ATAR required for law, you have to work much much harder with humanities subjects compared to those who do 4U Maths, for example. I know plenty of students who missed out ATAR wise, even though they were clearly capable of doing law, but unfortunately they missed out even though they got band 6s. Having a test like this might be able to discriminate those who are actually good at doing what is required for law, as opposed to those who just rote-learned their way through the syllabus. It's also an opportunity for those who were pretty close off but didn't make it into the law, to give them a chance to gain entry.

I for one though, would ask unis to reduce the number of law places out there - there's too many law graduates out there and not enough jobs. As they say, law is the new arts.
IMO, I think you're missing the fact that people that get 99+ ATAR's are well and truly built for reading bulk texts, and analysing them. Take into consideration that there is a difference between saying "can't read bulk texts" and "won't read bulk texts".

Many of the people whom you're referring to are the ones the won't read bulk texts, simply because they've had enough of it.

axwe7

HSC
N/A
BTW, instead of making this, the dean should've just made Legal Studies an assumed knowledge...

Idk, that's my opinion, what are your thoughts.

T-R-O-L-O-L

TOO GOOD TO BE CLASSIFIED
HSC
Does this apply to all uni's?
By the way, apparently it applies to postgraduate Law and transfers as well.
Can anyone confirm this?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)