Update me on VSU (1 Viewer)

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
hey i just got my union fees. those leeches want more money.

so tell me is this thing gonna happen where i dont pay union fees if i dont want to?

VSU update me please

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
If it passes it will be effective as of first semester next year.

K

katie_tully

hahah, leeches.

what happens if you refuse to pay union fees?

Generator

HSC
N/A
katie_tully said:
hahah, leeches.

what happens if you refuse to pay union fees?
You are able to object at the moment, although I'm not aware as to the exact nature of the process.

If VSU in its present form is passed, though, it won't be a case of refusing to pay, rather one of declining to pay. Decling to pay will not lead to any sort of retaliation from the student associations, although you may well regret your choice if something happens to go awry and the safety net/insurance that was once provided is no longer available or stretched to the limit meeting the needs of its members, let alone other students (I doubt that they would refuse help to any student in need, though).

I'm hoping that Nelson gets off the charger and considers the compromise of a universal services fee. There's nothing to be lost by admitting that some services are essential, and that their provision can be guaranteed within a frame work of voluntary association. Only time will tell, and I hope that the Nationals and the few Liberal backbenchers who have publicly aired their concerns actually stick with the issue till the end (for all universities, and not just those in regional Australia).

HSC
I'm not sure if it differs between unis, but at the moment the conscientious objectors at UoW still pay the money, but instead it goes to the Dean of Students' Equity Awards, which assist students coping with genuine financial difficulty.

Generator

HSC
N/A
*Bump*

As many of you no doubt already know, the VSU legislation is to be debated this coming Wednesday (10 August). Stay tuned for more.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
*debated*

Thats an interesting. I dont think the Libs will have much time for debate. Considering they don't have to.
The Nationals, and a number of Liberal pollies, aren't so sure, though. VSU will be introduced, but it's final form is sure to change (well, I hope that it will, anyway).

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Geez, uni's going to be shit next year.

Without union fees there doesn't seem to be that much which keeps uni knitted together. With sparring colleges, heaps of different ages/groups and lifestyles, the union was the one thing that bound everyone together.

Fuck you, Liberals. Fuck you for wanting everyone to go to your fucking Christian Colleges and their fucking sepparate systems for fucking Union fees. Fuck you and your shitheaded reforms.

Hey, what will be the deal with Bond? Will Bond students have to pay Union fees?

Generator

HSC
N/A
anti-mathmite said:
What is the point of a unions in universities anyway? Do you go on strike if you don't get taught properly or something?
They're student associations, not unions as such. They provide academic, social, and economic welfare services, in addition to political advocacy (on behalf of the students and what they, the student associations, consider to be the interests of the students) and cultural services (societies, sport, etc.).

There's more to it than that, but the above points pretty much cover the core of what is a student association.

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Having a services fee opens up the flood gates for it to be abused, as we saw in Victoria.

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
User-pays is not a good approach. It enforces outdated, Feudal ideals on Australia whose basic national values of egalitarianism and "a fair go" clash; catastrophically.

We need USU; it's me; it's you; it's fuckin' ozzie.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
How does it and a fair go clash? How does it enforce a feudal system?

By drawing a distinction between those who can pay and those who can't? Well I think that is there currently, by forcing all including those who can not afford it and don't go play rugby on the well watered lawns to pay.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
The thing is that as it currently stands, it's a grossly unfair system - especially at a university like USYD, who pays $540 a year ($590 for first years). That's a LOT of money to be expected to pay on demand. And this fee ends up subsidising a series of "services" such as protests, giving money to an actual cult, (in 2004) a protest at a funeral, slightly (instead of grossly) overpriced food, and of course the salaries of the SRC Executives and Union Directors.

I completely believe in the value of university community. As those before us have always realised - University is the marriage of academic and humanitarian pursuits. Student community makes us better people - and if everybody is encouraged to participate in it, the universities would be a much better place to be.

But Universal Unionism, as it currently stands, doesn't encourage community. It very much encourages inequality far more than VSU would. Most of you would remember right here on This board all the talk about the mandatory Union fee, and how they had to beg and steal the money to pay it upfront. For some people - especially students, $540 is a weekly wage.

I don't think it should be voluntary yet, but the fee should be MUCH lower, and it should be deferable at least six months. The Union/Guild/Association/SRC/Sport may complain - but the fact is that (at least at USYD) it's a perfectly reasonable plan. The USYD Union is the most wasteful bureaucracy I have ever had the pleasure of serving within. They spend money like nobody's business - they have a special catering branch whose primary role is to serve Union Directors at Board meetings. Until these meetings (I attend three or four a year), I thought "Good Union Food" was an oxymoron. And they give out cabcharge vouchers like nobody's business. Guess who foots the bill. Students. It disgusts me, these meetings - they talk about how they're going to waste student fees over extravagant meals in opulent surroundings - with no consideration as to the needs of the students who can't AFFORD the union fee.

In fact, I'm not supposed to say this yet - but the new membership plan to be introduced if RESOLVE for SRC wins the USYD election includes FREE membership for first year students, and $35 a year ($20 a semester, and deferable for up to a year) membership to the SRC (down from $66). This will drop even further under a continued Universal Student Unionism environment - because, as the Great Mark Latham said, we believe in easing the squeeze.

www.thequahreport.com

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I also think students who are willing to go on strike at the drop of a hat should be shot - because while they're off striking about their Right to a free education, there are FAR more people out there who can't even get into Uni. I had a high school classmate with a respectable UAI, who couldn't get into uni - he ended up becoming a security guard for two years, to earn some money and kept up his studies privately so he could enter first year this year. While our fellow students were off protesting, he was envious and resentful that he didn't even HAVE the opportunity to go to uni.

The fact is, he's probably FAR more deserving of a university place than any of those protesters. I'd hope our student representatives keep people like him in mind when they go around calling their strikes.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Phanatical said:
For some people - especially students, $540 is a weekly wage.
I don't know of many students who earn nearly 30 000 a year (and if they can earn 540 during the semester, it would be shocking afterwards). Well excluding Rose Jackson :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)