Upfront HECS payments (1 Viewer)

Would you pay your HECS upfront provided you (or someone else) had the money?

• Yes, ur an idiot to pass up a 25% discount!

Votes: 13 56.5%
  • No, I'd rather have the money now, and defer my payment

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • No, this discount isn't all it's hyped up to be...

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters

karnevil

HSC
Time takes its toll on value of HECS discount

By Ross Gittins
March 13, 2004

This is the time of year when a lot of uni students and their parents demonstrate their ignorance of a key concept in economics and business - the "time value of money".

Actually, when it's used in business and finance to evaluate investment proposals - as it is every day - it's more commonly referred to as "discounted cash flow" analysis, which yields a bottom line called the NPV - net present value. If you've ever come across these terms and been puzzled by them, keep reading.

But why would uni students and their parents benefit from knowing about such arcane stuff? Because it's the key to jumping the right way when you decide whether to pay your HECS (higher education contribution scheme) fees in advance - and get the 25 per cent upfront discount - or let them ride and have the taxman take the repayments out of your pay after you graduate and get a job.

A lot of people take one look at that whopping 25 per cent discount and conclude it's a no-brainer. If you had the money, you'd be a mug not to take advantage of the discount.

But get this: it's not at all obvious that the 25 per cent discount is a good deal, and for most students it won't be. They'll end up richer if they let their HECS debt pile up.

How could that possibly be? Because of the "time value of money".

Economists believe that, when it comes to paying or receiving money, it's not just how much that matters, but also when it happens. The basic proposition is that a dollar today is worth more than a dollar tomorrow (or in a year's time).

Why? Not just because of inflation. The proposition would still be true if there were no inflation. No, the real reason is because humans are impatient animals. If we had the dollar today, we could spend it today, which would be better than having to wait. (Or we could put the dollar in the bank and earn interest.)

If I could quantify your degree of impatience, I could express it as your personal "discount rate". And if, for example, your discount rate was 6 per cent a year, this would mean that the promise of receiving a dollar in a year's time would be worth 94.3c to you today.

That 94.3c is said to be the "present value" of a dollar in a year's time, at a discount rate of 6 per cent.

Note that this calculation works both ways. If you're going to be paid a dollar in a year's time, its value to you today is only 94.3c.

But if you have to pay the dollar in a year's time, its cost to you today is only 94.3c. If today you were to put that 94.3c into a bank account paying 6 per cent interest, in a year's time you'd have the dollar needed to pay your debt. (So discounting is compound interest in reverse.)

Most business investments take the form of having to shell out a lot of money now in the hope of getting back a small stream of money over many years into the future. Those distant-future dollars aren't worth nearly as much as the ones you'll have to cough up right now.

So, to put all the dollars in the sum on a comparable basis, the distant dollars need to be discounted before they're set against the present dollars to give the investment project's "net present value".

Now, if you're a financial type who is highly conscious of the need to discount future events, you view the HECS arrangement as remarkably generous. Students owe the Government money, but it allows them to delay repaying until they can afford to.

Normally, a bank would charge you interest on such a deal, but all the Government does is adjust the amount of your HECS debt in line with inflation. In other words, it charges you a real interest rate of zero.

What? Someone's offering to lend you money at a zero real interest rate? A "rational" person would need a lot of persuading to pay off such a loan before they were obliged to.

The only thing that could induce them to do so would be a really huge discount for repaying upfront. So the key question is: is 25 per cent big enough to outweigh the attraction of a loan with no real interest rate?

Let's say the amount of HECS involved this year is $4000. With a 25 per cent discount you'd make an upfront payment of $3000. You compare that figure with the present value of all the repayments you'd have to make over the years after you graduate.

If that present value is greater than $3000, make the upfront payment - and the difference (not the $1000 discount) is how much you save. But if the present value is less than $3000, you'd be a mug to pay upfront (assuming you've got the money). At a discount of only 25 per cent, it's just not worth your while.

That's the theory of it. In practice, however, working out the present value of the stream of future debt repayments is a job for an expert with a computer program. And you have to guess how much income you'll be earning (because that's how the size of your repayments is determined).

Don't forget, however, that the HECS rules are about to change. Students who've started their courses before next year won't be affected by the 25 per cent increase in fees (a fact the vociferous opponents of the changes haven't bothered to stress).

But from July this year, the income threshold at which you have to start making repayments jumps from $25,348 a year to $35,000 (and goes to $36,184 from July next year). And from January next year, the upfront discount drops from 25 per cent to 20 per cent.

It's obvious that this cut in the upfront discount makes paying upfront less attractive. But, for many students, so too does the jump in the repayment threshold.

Why? Because it tends to push repayments further off into the future, meaning they're more heavily discounted to reduce them to their present value. And the lower the present value, the less the likelihood that paying upfront will yield genuine savings.

From what I can gather, it's only those students whose earnings in their first 10 or 15 years as a graduate are significantly above the average for graduates who are likely to be better off paying upfront.

Ross Gittins is the Herald's Economics Editor.

yeah, that's a good article... but i'm (well my parents) are paying my HECS upfront because of the 25% discount aswell as a 46% discount we get because my dad's going to salary package my HECS fees... so I'm only really going to be paying 30% of my fees ~ which is a pretty good deal!

B

Bambul

Originally posted by Cookiez_n_Cream
yeah, that's a good article... but i'm (well my parents) are paying my HECS upfront because of the 25% discount aswell as a 46% discount we get because my dad's going to salary package my HECS fees... so I'm only really going to be paying 30% of my fees ~ which is a pretty good deal!
That is hard to pass up by. I'm going to pile on my HECS debt and then try to pay it all off soon when I get out of uni (you get 10% - currently 15%, soon to drop - discount if you make a $500 voluntary repayment). I figure you will never get a loan with an interest rate as low as 2-3% as easy as you do with HECS.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Ahh good old NPV from Accounting :p. I knew I was deferring my HECS debt for some reason.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Bambul
I'm going to pile on my HECS debt and then try to pay it all off soon when I get out of uni (you get 10% - currently 15%, soon to drop - discount if you make a $500 voluntary repayment). I figure you will never get a loan with an interest rate as low as 2-3% as easy as you do with HECS.
im the same, im going to live cheap for X long and just put all my money into paying my HECS back.

karnevil

HSC
Mmmmm I'm still really unsure about what this journalist is saying... I'm not gonna pay my HECS upfront (was considering it) until I speak to someone who can clarify it for me - maybe my economics lecturer or somethin

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Do introductory Accounting and/or Economics and u'll understand :p.

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
It all depends, what you do with your money.

I reckon is better to pay it off now if you can afford it. :x

Ribbon

Ok so I am trying to get my head around this... isn't the whole deal with this present value thing that money is worth less in the future (ie inflation ect.) and so you pay off 'less' even though the figure is the same, because the money in the future buys less? Like $1000 hecs today is 1000 * $1 choc bars today but because of inflation the same $1000 figure will only buy 666.66 choccie bars cos the same bar will be worth $1.50 in a few years time because of inflations... ie you get more for your $$ now so it is better to spend now and pay off hecs later, rather than pay hecs now and get less for your $$ later...

but isn't HECS 'interest free' with the exception that it is indexed against inflation... making the whole idea irrelevant?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Ribbon
Ok so I am trying to get my head around this... isn't the whole deal with this present value thing that money is worth less in the future (ie inflation ect.) and so you pay off 'less' even though the figure is the same, because the money in the future buys less?
No the whole idea of the article was what you place value on your money.

For example would you rather take 94c now or $1 a year from now.

Ribbon

Originally posted by Xayma
No the whole idea of the article was what you place value on your money.

For example would you rather take 94c now or $1 a year from now.
but the way you put it there is no justification for an economic argument against paying HECS upfront... like, if it is just about the value you place on your money and not the 'value of money' it is completely subjective and whose to say different people don't view thier 94c as being 90c, 94c or $1 in the future?

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
For those who don't understand, basically what Ross Gittins is saying is that the HECS payment you would have to pay upfront today is $3000 (with the 25%, or $1000, upfront discount). Now knowing you have to pay that money now, the value that you put on this $3000 is the whole $3000. However, if you were to defer your HECS payment, you would have to pay the full $4000 in the future. However, because you don't have to pay it now, the "present value" of having to pay that $4000 in the future is less (because you are impatient and the thought of having $3000 now is greater than having to pay an extra $1000 in the future). So, now if the "present value" you place on that $4000 you have to pay in five years time is greater than $3000 you would be spending now, then pay upfront:).

Man, that is quite confusing. I don't know if I explained it right, but it took me a while. If people think I am explaining it wrong, please correct me:).

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
By the way, I voted for, "No, I'd rather have the money now, and defer my payment", because if I had the money I believe that having an extra $4000 to pay off when you are earning a lot more than that per year won't make a difference. I would rather have the $4000 per year to spend when I don't have much money and value that money more now (which is what Gittins is talking about:).

Ribbon

Oh Ok I thought he was trying to present an objective economic argument, but he is actually presenting a completely subjective argument... who says everyone is impatiant and wants to spend the money now? If I had extra money that I could afford to put on HECS without losing any basic luxuries (car, non home brand food ect.) I would do it for sure...

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
who says everyone is impatiant and wants to spend the money now?
That is the whole point of his article:lol:. That is why he sums up saying:

If that present value is greater than $3000, make the upfront payment - and the difference (not the $1000 discount) is how much you save. But if the present value is less than $3000, you'd be a mug to pay upfront (assuming you've got the money). At a discount of only 25 per cent, it's just not worth your while.
In other words, he is saying that it is a personal preference:).

Ribbon

Originally posted by Merethrond
That is the whole point of his article:lol:. That is why he sums up saying:

In other words, he is saying that it is a personal preference:).
OK I get it now... but was it really nessary to crap on for ages just to decide paying HECS upfront was a matter of personal preference ?! :chainsaw:

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
OK I get it now... but was it really nessary to crap on for ages just to decide paying HECS upfront was a matter of personal preference ?! :chainsaw:
Yeah, he is going into the technical side of how we come to our personal preference I think:).

s2ophie

HSC
Originally posted by natstar
BTW how do we pay it?????
this i would like to know as well. i am only paying part of it now but don't know when i am meant to pay that part by... somebody help me!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)