uRGENT HELP NEEDED 4 English! All help is appreciated! (1 Viewer)

StaceyK293920

HSC
English Task - AOS Personal Journeys

You've written one story of a personal journey as a recount. Now I'd like you to write it as a story, focusing on the following aspects:
  • Use of imagery - showing, rather than telling (5-D cinema!)
  • Selectivity - isolating important moments
You can rewrite the same story you wrote for last week's task, or you can write a completely new story (real or fictional).

You will be assessed on how well you:
  • Express understanding of the concept of personal journeys
  • Organise, develop, and express ideas using language appropriate to audience, purpose and context.
Well the task I wrote for the personal journey before was 'Year 10 & The School Certificate', because I had no other personal journey to think of. I don't even know how to begin with this task. How would I begin with the Personal Journey being the School Certificate, and continuing to write about it? ALL HELP IS SRSLY APPRECIATED! I HAVE NO IDEA AT ALL ATM, AND I DON'T GET THE ASPECTS! THX.

eliseliselise

HSC
well why don't you write some enthralling coming of age [bildungsroman... nod nod] story regarding a particularly unfathomable occurence during the mathematics paper where your pocket calculator ran out of batteries or something along those lines. you should stuff it with about 5843675864860 metaphors and 1049235783479960 similies and describe the surroundings vividly etc etc. my teacher lady last year told me that it's not so much the story line they're looking for-- its the way you tell it!! she also said that u dont really need much dialogue. at all. keep it to a minimum.

good luck stacey!!!

Red Balloon

HSC
N/A
The first thing you need to consider in creative writing is your topic choice. While technically you can't be marked lower for your topic, something markers look for is creativity. If a topic is the first one you thought of, chances are, 70% of the class is thinking along the same lines. It's difficult for your work to stand out if you are writing about the exact same thing as everyone else. It's also important that you pick a topic that you can actually write about it with purpose, and write enough to meet the requirements. When we were working on creative writing for the HSC we were told not to pick any of the following topics: school, holidays, family turmoil, death/suicide, peer pressure, fights with friends, etc.
They're pretty weak topics. And your character probably shouldn't die.

As for the requirements:
If you write about the school certificate, how are you going to use imagery effectively? It will be difficult. For prelims we had a text called Sky-High, about this girl having a nostalgia moment basically. It was really well written, especially her use of imagery: she used the clothesline in her backyard as an anchor point around which the rest of the story revolved. Then she used the clothes on the line as a feature to link the past and the present together. Look for clever things like that to use in your story.

Organise: plan your story's purpose before you start. You need to show an understanding of your AOS by exploring your ideas. You might be comparing two different ways of thinking, anything really. But it is important that you use the protagonist to do this, and show character depth and plot development. Once you have your idea, it would be a good idea to plan the major sequence of events, then fill in the gaps (your selectivity.)

Don't put padding in. If a sentence doesn't add anything, take it out. Markers notice these things.

Good luck. Maybe you could post your story up once you're done writing it.

Last edited:

StaceyK293920

HSC
Thanks a lot guyss! Really appreciate this. I will post my story up asap when I get started. More ideas are greatly appreciated. And thanks again ;).

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Red Balloon said:
When we were working on creative writing for the HSC we were told not to pick any of the following topics: school, holidays, family turmoil, death/suicide, peer pressure, fights with friends, etc.
They're pretty weak topics. And your character probably shouldn't die.

As for the requirements:
If you write about the school certificate, how are you going to use imagery effectively? It will be difficult.
I agree that you shouldn't write about the school certificate with the task because it would be really hard to use imagery, but I'd give it a shot e.g. for the school certificate I would write as an example 'As i stared down towards the paper, the room was quiet. The smell of burning graphite filled the air as other students wrote as hard as they could. There was a dead silence though, as the officers from the BOS walked up and down the aisles, behaving like securitymen trying to hold down the students like prisoners. Beads of sweat accumulated on my forehead while i stared intently at the question'. Though how would you write for the overall year of the year 10 school certificate, not just the external exams on November, but before it, like the trials? You would have to come up with more ideas...Come on fellow bos'ers help this person out in need of desperate help. ;)

What topics would you recommend for the completion of this task? The task sounds hard... Good luck.

Last edited:

bored of sc

HSC
Maybe you should write a story about someone overcoming a terrible physical adversity, for example, being stuck somewhere. You could describe the surroundings and their physical and mental struggles that make up their journey. I know its a little chiche but oh well...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)