Urgent help needed for Nuclear Chemistry Dotpoint (1 Viewer)

Angelina88

HSC
Nuclear Chemistry Dotpoint:

"Process information from secondary sources to describe recent discoveries of elements"

What im not sure about is what exactly the "describe" component of the question is asking...are we describing the acutal process of discovery? or the description of the recent elements that have been discovered?

If someone could please clear this up for me, would really appreciate it if u do it soon...i need this for tomorrow...i asked my teacher a few days ago and got this vague response about memorising the transuranic substances :confused:

thanx guys

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I would presume the dotpoint is referring to transuranic elements, which are the most recently discovered elements. It might be helpful to know at least 1 or 2 of these transuanic elements in a bit of detail. But basically it's just asking for a general description of the discovery of these elements.

Last edited:

ponting007

HSC
are you sure it isnt the dot point about transuranic elements in the second column not the third column dot point you are referring to....because if there is a question on that.....thats really gay....i was looking at maybe a question on equipemtn to detect radiation and i was going to use a geiger muller counter

UzurOger

Almost Sexy Bastard
HSC
this is what the other more inferior Board of Studies has to say

The nineteen transuranic elements with the atomic numbers above 95 (Z between 96 and 116, leaving out undiscovered 113 and 115) require high-energy particle accelerators to be produced. Use an Internet search engine and recent references to find out how particle accelerators are used to discover new transuranic elements. To process the sources you find, assess their reliability by comparing the information provided. Look for consistency of information.

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
the following is just some notes that I had on such a dot point. it's probably not enough but its to help you get off to a start nevertheless :)

5.3.1 Process information from secondary sources to describe recent discoveries of elements

• Element 110 (ununnilium) was first isolated by bombarding a nuclei of lead with a smaller nuclei of nickel. The nickel nuclei are accelerated by an ion accelerator and fuse with the target lead nuclei. Only a few atoms of ununnilium were produced and because they have a very short half-life none have been preserved. The experiment has yet to be replicated and so further samples have not been isolated.

• A recent discovery is of Ununbium which was on February 9, 1996 at 10:37 pm, at the Gesellschaft fur Schwerionenforschung in Darmstadt, Germany a team of scientists discovered their sixth element. This element has the atomic number 112.

• Another recent discovery was of ununquadium which was discovered in 1999 at Russia's Joint Institute for Nuclear Research in Dubna. It was made by shooting atoms of calcium-48 into a target of plutonium-244; atoms of element 114 (with a nuclear weight of 289) were detected through their decay into element 112. 114 and 112 have lifetimes of 30 seconds and 280 milliseconds, respectively.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)