Urgent: Misadventure/Medical Emergency (1 Viewer)

Spoken12

HSC
Hi all,

Spent the night and most of this morning in hospital, horribly ill with a vile virus infection. Long story short the hospital/doctor has written me notes/medial certificates etc etc (evidence) stating I am unfit to sit the exam tomorrow, as for economics on Thursday we'll play it by ear.

We've been in touch with the deputy principal of the school and it should all be fine, in terms of getting an estimate.

My question is how is the estimate derived? From my internal marks all year? What people around my rank get? All of the above?

In English I'm ranked =5/48 with two people and an average of 85%, also got that on the trial.
In Economics I'm ranked 1/20 with an average of 92% but a lower mark of 83% on the trial.

Any idea what the go is in terms of how my estimate(s) will be derived?

micwes12

HSC
Usually I think they estimate it on what people around your mark get.

In trials the girl who was getting first in Modern had to leave midway through with a migraine, and because she was coming first they gave her the top mark for the exam as her mark. Make sense?

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
This is quite tricky, because the estimate derived from your internal marks cannot be close to the external mark.

It will probably derived from your school rank or how well your cohort performs to the other schools and etc.

Selador

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Your assessment mark will be used for your examination mark.

So essentially your internal mark will become your HSC mark.

Spoken12

HSC
It's such a shame because I've done well all year so the estimate(s) will probably be lower than what I would have gotten fully fit. :( Especially economics.

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
It's such a shame because I've done well all year so the estimate(s) will probably be lower than what I would have gotten fully fit. :( Especially economics.
Sorry, well you can't really do much about it. You have to ensure that your body is on 100% readiness and sick-free status when the HSC is approaching, it's very unfortunate for this to happen to you.

But, I am quite sure the BOS or your school will compensate you well for the hard efforts :p

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
"if your appeal is upheld you will receive your examination mark or your assessment mark for the examination, whichever is the greater."

Spoken12

HSC
Sorry, well you can't really do much about it. You have to ensure that your body is on 100% readiness and sick-free status when the HSC is approaching, it's very unfortunate for this to happen to you.

But, I am quite sure the BOS or your school will compensate you well for the hard efforts :p
Yeah I know. Such is life. No point complaining. Just have to fully recover and make sure after I'm recovered I study hard and do well in my other/last three exams.

Selador

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Its not an estimate or anything.

Your internal mark would be the same whether you complete the exam or not.

They just use that internal mark for your overall mark. (If the exam mark is not higher)

Spoken12

HSC
"if your appeal is upheld you will receive your examination mark or your assessment mark for the examination, whichever is the greater."
How is my "assessment mark for the examination" derived? Considering I won't be sitting it that's going to be the "higher mark".

Selador

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The assessment mark is just your internal mark. It's calculated how it would normally be done so (Only they remove you from the moderating process of you cohort first)

If it is higher than the mark you would have gotten for the exam (in your case zero), then the assessment mark becomes your examination mark too.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
What happens is that when they are moderating the cohort you are removed from the process. Then they look at your rank and the relative gaps between you and the ones above and below you and slot you in accordingly.

It won't be the raw internal mark sent into the BOS necessarily that you get but a mark that reflects your internal position so if you were coming 5th and only 1 mark behind 4th you will remain 1 mark behind 4th - and you hope that 4th and above do really well.

Spoken12

HSC
Oh okay, and for Economics considering I'm coming first, do I get a few marks more than what 2nd gets (the difference is around 3 I think)?

BOSBOY

HSC
N/A
Let's assume you were on raw 88 and the next person on raw 85.

Also assume the highest exam mark for your class is 92.

So by interpolation, 85 -> 92 and 100 -> 100.

Where do you fit in?

Your mark will be 92 + (88-85)/(100-85) x (100-92) = 93.6 ~ 94. So your moderated assessment will be 94.

Under illness/misadventure your "examination mark" will also be 94.

So your overall HSC mark will be 94.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)