URGENT! Prac dot point help!! (1 Viewer)

fashionista

Tastes like chicken
HSC
N/A
i was going through the syllabus and there is a whole thing of dot points (like four..ok now that i've counted them only three) that i have never done and i would so appreciate it beyond belief if someone could possibly provide me with the results for these pracs?Please?

The Acidic Environment
Section 4
  • choose equipment and perform a first-hand investigation to identify the pH of a range of salt solutions
  • perform a first-hand investigation to determine the concentration of a domestic acidic substance using computer based technologies
  • analyse information from secondary sources to assess the use of neutralisation reactions as a safety measure or to minimise damage in accidents or chemical spills
Thank u in advance!!

helper

HSC
N/A
1. Use a datalogger with pH probe to measure the pH. Remember to calibrate the probe, wash probe with water and then solution in between solutions. Mix solutions.
If comparing solutions remember to control things like concentration temp etc.

2. USe datalogger with pH probe to measure pH.
Titrate the domestic solution against NaOH. Use the pH probe to detect the end point. Use equation to check stoichiometry and then calculate concentration like with any other titration.

3. Look at the MSDS for the acid/base you are using. Following risk procedures. In general you want to neutralise the spill with a weak base/acid so that you do not end up with a spill of the opposite type of material. For acids it is generally recommended a weak carbonate like sodium carbonate or sodium bicarbonate. Add until neutralised.
For bases add a weak dilute acid like citric, acetic . Sulfuric and Hydrochloric may be used if diluted.
Not reccomended for eyes normally due to heat produced. In some cases an apporpriate strength commercial eye wash may be available.

Tommy_Lamp

Coco
HSC
helper pretty much covered it. For the 3rd one, if you look in your conq. chemistry book there is a whole section on it, if you dont have a conq. chem book, the one you do have should have something on neutralisation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)