URGENT! Should I change schools halfway through prelim year (year 11)? (1 Viewer)

shiminay

HSC
N/A
I'm currently in Year 11 and not enjoying my time in my current school and I'm actually originally from Western Australia (not NSW). My parents have given me an option to move to Perth to continue on with my studies. So I'll have to change from HSC to WACE. If I do move I will most probably move in semester 2. I was wondering if I do move would it be a massive mistake? Will it affect my studies majorly? I know a couple of people who left after term 1 for Melbourne so they will be taking VCEs. And this girl in my class is moving to Brisbane after term 3 so she'll have to change to whatever the Queensland system is.

I understand that prelim year is quite important because it'll reflect and prepare you for year 12. But I absolutely hate my current school and it's not exactly the best school either. The school in Perth that I'll be moving to is one of the top 5 schools so it'll be a massive opportunity for me. The school I'm in is absolutely horrid, teachers aren't very good, bullying happens a lot in my school and my principal is an absolute nutter. Parents and even some of the teachers are emailing the company of my school to get the principal changed! So you can see how messed up it is.

Basically I was wondering if it's a mistake to change schools halfway through year 11? I really want to change so badly, but if I'm making a massive mistake and screwing up my year 12 by doing so then I'm not sure if it's a risk I'm willing to take.

Has anyone or if you know someone who has changed halfway through year 11? If so, did it work out? Was there major challenges? Did you make the right decision?

Please give me some opinions and advice since whatever I do will affect my future!

Last edited:

Kurosaki

True Fail Kid
HSC
Company of a school wtf? You make it sound like some evil global corporation is running your school or something.....:p.
In all honesty, your environment doesn't seem all that great, so yeah.....go for it if you feel you'll perform better in W.A

shiminay

HSC
N/A
Company of a school wtf? You make it sound like some evil global corporation is running your school or something.....:p.
In all honesty, your environment doesn't seem all that great, so yeah.....go for it if you feel you'll perform better in W.A
Haha well the company of the school are the only people who can get rid of my principal! He made a speech the other day bagging out teachers and saying how they're "nothing special" about 5 of my teachers walked out during his speech! It won't affect my year 12 majorly would it if I changed halfway through preliminary year? Especially since I have to change from HSC to WACE?

SuchSmallHands

HSC
I have no idea how the WA system works, but the only way I could see it really affecting you is if it's similar to the ACT (where prelim results count toward your final mark) or if you're radically changing subjects.

shiminay

HSC
N/A
I have no idea how the WA system works, but the only way I could see it really affecting you is if it's similar to the ACT (where prelim results count toward your final mark) or if you're radically changing subjects.
I don't think year 11 count towards WACE! so changing courses halfway through preliminary year shouldn't be an issue?

hit patel

HSC
Uni Grad
Massive mistake.... According to me.... Any education system will take you time to get used to.... and since its sem 2 of year 11 you wont be used to the type of education system and will affect your hsc ultimately. I do have experience as I came to Australia from overseas during primary school and it took me atleast 1 year to get used to the education system here. All I can suggest that you should change schools not States. Make Ur parents understand what I said to you.:bosman:

SuchSmallHands

HSC
I don't think year 11 count towards WACE! so changing courses halfway through preliminary year shouldn't be an issue?
I wouldn't be worried if I were you, no. The curriculum might be different, but it wouldn't be like you study the history of fine arts in chemistry there (unless they also have a year 12 elective about the chemistry of art... bad example :) ). I think you'd be fine, they still speak the same language, study similar topics in their subjects and are trying to get into universities to study the same degrees. My friend did the same only with Queensland last year and she's doing really well.

shiminay

HSC
N/A
Massive mistake.... According to me.... Any education system will take you time to get used to.... and since its sem 2 of year 11 you wont be used to the type of education system and will affect your hsc ultimately. I do have experience as I came to Australia from overseas during primary school and it took me atleast 1 year to get used to the education system here. All I can suggest that you should change schools not States. Make Ur parents understand what I said to you.:bosman:
Problem is I can't study in NSW unless I board (it's a really complicated story but just bare with me) and the boarding fees are ridiculous, so my parents have told me to either stick with the school I am at now or move to WA.

shiminay

HSC
N/A
I wouldn't be worried if I were you, no. The curriculum might be different, but it wouldn't be like you study the history of fine arts in chemistry there (unless they also have a year 12 elective about the chemistry of art... bad example :) ). I think you'd be fine, they still speak the same language, study similar topics in their subjects and are trying to get into universities to study the same degrees. My friend did the same only with Queensland last year and she's doing really well.
That is true. Did your friend change courses halfway through the year?

SuchSmallHands

HSC
A little bit later than you, it was pretty much the end of year eleven (term three, that is) by the time she left

hit patel

HSC
Uni Grad
Orite from my perspective and what I would do if I were in your position is board. Never Mind about the boarding fees because thats your parents job. 3 months ago I had the same thoughts, like if I join tutoring then it will be too much fees. Ok listen to me donot worry about money think about your life. Choose between your life or money. If you spend right now then you might get a good education and earn that much in around 1 year. But if you dont after move to WACE then those money would be then not much of use for all of your life? I hope you get what I mean here.

Choose:1) Good Life and a good career
2) Parents Money which you would be able to earn back in 1 year or so with a good career.

And reply back with what option you think is right.

shiminay

HSC
N/A
Orite from my perspective and what I would do if I were in your position is board. Never Mind about the boarding fees because thats your parents job. 3 months ago I had the same thoughts, like if I join tutoring then it will be too much fees. Ok listen to me donot worry about money think about your life. Choose between your life or money. If you spend right now then you might get a good education and earn that much in around 1 year. But if you dont after move to WACE then those money would be then not much of use for all of your life? I hope you get what I mean here.

Choose:1) Good Life and a good career
2) Parents Money which you would be able to earn back in 1 year or so with a good career.

And reply back with what option you think is right.
I don't think I'm following. Are you saying I should board in NSW? or board in WACE? I've already talked to my parents about boarding in NSW and the fees are $40,000 my parents aren't willing to pay that amount. They said to either stick with the school that I am at now or move to WA and take WACE, I won't be boarding in WA so the fees will only be $20,000.

shiminay

HSC
N/A
A little bit later than you, it was pretty much the end of year eleven (term three, that is) by the time she left
Oh so she started year 12 with a brand new course? Is she doing ok? Do you mind asking her for a quick feedback on the change? It'll mean a lot thanks :)

hit patel

HSC
Uni Grad
I don't think I'm following. Are you saying I should board in NSW? or board in WACE? I've already talked to my parents about boarding in NSW and the fees are $40,000 my parents aren't willing to pay that amount. They said to either stick with the school that I am at now or move to WA and take WACE, I won't be boarding in WA so the fees will only be $20,000.
Whatever you think is good for your studies.....

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Oh so she started year 12 with a brand new course? Is she doing ok? Do you mind asking her for a quick feedback on the change? It'll mean a lot thanks :)
Yep, I asked her and she sent me this:

'It was weird at first because some of the subjects are much more specific, I'm doing graphic design for instance when I used to just do D&T and art. But I liked the specification after a little bit. I could hone in on the areas I'm really interested and set myself well for uni. Other than the names of the general subjects like the sciences, maths and english which changed a bit, I didn't find the content all that different. Most of what they covered in year 11 I did in year 11 too, though there were some things that I'm relearning at the minute because I covered them earlier in nsw. The 'ATAR' equivalent threw me a bit at first, I'm aiming for a score of 3 which sounds really stupid, but it wasn't difficult to adjust too it took like two seconds to get it explained to me. For about a week it was challenging. I had to get my head around what I had missed in their course which was hard at first. But it paid off later when class work was really just revision for me because I covered it all earlier. I was worried at first, but now I see how stupid that was. It wasn't the huge change I built up to be. Education is education. Unis accommodate people from a variety of states. We're all preparing for the same degrees so obviously were all learning very similar content, it's just the timing that changes around a bit. If you stick with similar subjects it won't be a huge change.'

Hope that helps! :)

tsdylan

HSC
To be honest from my perspective is how are you doing now in school? like its environment. If you are tight with your friends and teachers it would be hard to move to another school and have to go through all that and make new relationships. Because at the end of the day its your relationships that will motivate and help you in your HSC. haha hope that helped :)

coldrain

Hello friends
HSC
If your current school is that shit then just transfer LOL

Ce1ine

HSC
Or... you could go to a better school in NSW but home stay? My friend's family has moved to Singapore and instead of boarding, she home-stays and its much much cheaper than boarding,

shiminay

HSC
N/A
My parents would never agree to home stay! but thank's for the advice :) I think I might go, it's a really good school and it's a really good opportunity! Plus the subjects are suited for me since I'm not exactly a Mathematic student but General Maths is too easy for me, but for WACE there's an in-between level, same applies for english!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)