Use of Sin City... (1 Viewer)

Tom BMGS

HSC
I was just wondering what you guys thought of using Sin City as the inspiration for the creative story assessment we have to do. I know it's not strictly a crime fiction novel, but Hardigan is so hard-boiled you'd swear he'd been in for 20 minutes. And I could also use "Jacky-boy" as my corrupt cop.
What do you guys think?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Tom BMGS said:
I was just wondering what you guys thought of using Sin City as the inspiration for the creative story assessment we have to do. I know it's not strictly a crime fiction novel, but Hardigan is so hard-boiled you'd swear he'd been in for 20 minutes. And I could also use "Jacky-boy" as my corrupt cop.
What do you guys think?
Of course you can! This module is about studying the genre of crime fiction and we learn as much about genre and conventions by studying what is unconventional as when we study what is conventional.

The anti-hero is also a very potent archetype to use and Sin City has a plethora of those to look over.

I personally would be wary of using the exam same names though as it typifies your story as 'someone elses', which can bring in a whole trail of ickiness depending on how the other person interprets the original text. Of course if you are specifically asked to write a story in the world of one of your prescribed that is a different matter, but I'm sure you get the picture.

Porcia

HSC
of course u can use sin city as inspiration - i did for mine as well if that helps? haha, anyway, i did a script medium to translate the setting more effectively, but if u are doing the novel or short story medium; do, do, describe the setting effectively... the setting is what makes sin city come alive.

Tom BMGS

HSC
My intro...

Basin City was the kind of place where if you turn down the right back alley, anything is possible. It was a city of great light and terrible darkness, where lies were power and money meant everything. It was a lousy parking lot in a lousy part of a lousy town, and the smells of the homeless that mingled with exhaust fumes and the Chinese joint across the road had a new companion: death.

Opinions?

Last edited:

B35tY

HSC
Sorry i'm a bit confused. Are you trying to copy Sin City or copy its style? Personally i'd recommend the latter. That intro had a lot of semi-identical (paradox i know) phrases "a lousy (something) in a lousy part of a lousy town"... "If you turn down the right back alley, anything is possible" etc. I would recommend the style, as it is an interesting mix of film-noir/hard boiled and modern crime fiction (as shown through the lack of censorship etc), but perhaps you should try to break away from being EXACTLY the same.

For the record, i'm doing Sin City as a related for a speech we have to do, but i'm focussing more on Marv than Hartigan. Don't really know why. Since it needs padding out, i might talk about them both.

The script idea is a good one too. Like Porcia said, its great for the setting, which is pivotal to the 'feel' of Sin City.

Porcia

HSC
plus the script gives the dialogue its full rigour. yeah, i agree with b35ty there - i am also confused... it seems that you are doing two things at once: to use the story/location/content of sin city as a basis for yours, and the other thing is the hardboiled style. i recommend that you come up with your own setting, (although it can be reminiscent of Sin city's own) and give it the flavour of neonoir/hardboiled that characterises sin city. however if you want to keep on doing what your doing (which is fine-u dont need our reassurance), i recommend that you get into the dialogue as soon as you can. dialogue which embodies the antihero archetype.

jayneypoops

HSC
i'm really just posting a comment so i can get back to the home page =)... but while i'm here.......

i used Sin City as related text, but rather than stating how it adheres to the Film Noir/Hard Boiled crime fiction conventions, i showed how it subverts the archetypal conventions.. you can just say how Marv or Hardigan are the modern day Phillip Marlowe and how the setting is so ultimately typical to the genre. I think it's an awesome related text to use because it's a modern day adaptation to the Hard Boiled genre. =)

MichaelRoberts

HSC
politik said:
Great idea. Just make sure you don't let slip to anyone else you're doing Sin City, as people usually tend to copy.
Oh Well Our class was skeptical when Tom mentioned it, in the least. Our teacher was a little apprehensive as well.

What Ive been told use Crime that is easily defined as such, and whilst I havent seen Sin City, It's part of the syllabus to define Crime Fiction, and in doing so you need to decide whether you fit it into the genre.

We've also been told to avoid 'mainstream' texts to a certain extent. I was going to use CSI as a example for the diversification of the genre (as far as Forensics go) but Ive been advised to choose something different (I'm using [SIZE=-1]Kathy Reichs)

By all means use shows like CSI (Im using it to talk about the increasing popularity, but it's not being used as a whole related text) , and popular movies - Sin City, but beware at who your audience is (in this case HSC markers) and the higher level of sophistication that E1 demands.
[/SIZE]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)