USYD Chatter Thread 2016 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
Re: USYD Chatter Thread - Semester 1 2016

Well here is what I've noticed from my maths subjects, if this is any help:

MATH2961 wasn't recorded; the lecturers were both pretty old.
MATH2962 was recorded.
MATH2069/2969 wasn't recorded and again, the lecturer was pretty old.
MATH2065 was recorded, and I'm pretty sure all of the popular normal stream units are.
MATH2070/2970 wasn't recorded.
MATH3063 is recorded.
MATH3066 is recorded, but he writes on the whiteboard so you only get audio.
MATH3061 wasn't recorded, again the lecturers were pretty old. In fact, the lecturer for the first half of the course was so clueless about how the process worked he thought writing something on the blackboard meant it would be recorded.

So yeah, basically what I've noticed is older lecturers don't do recordings, and generally advanced lectures aren't recorded. That's just from my experience though.

RealiseNothing may be able to give you a better indication of more of the advanced subjects.

porcupinetree

not actually a porcupine
HSC

The entire edstem site (at least, my dashboard and all my units) has been changed to comic sans

gr8 april fools joke usyd

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC

I know MATH2961 lectures are recorded this year, for Ruben atleast, dunno if Daners will when we have him for 2nd half.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC

I know MATH2961 lectures are recorded this year, for Ruben atleast, dunno if Daners will when we have him for 2nd half.
Oh dear. I don't think I'd be able to cope with Ruibin Zhang recordings. In person was hard enough. :haha:

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC

What do we think of the new business school/abercrombie precinct? I think it looks pretty nice and the lecture theatres are comfy/great large spaces, but I feel eternally sorry for any students who have to run from wallace to abercrombie between classes. And I think the building is poorly designed as a place to spend time - even though they put in lots of nooks and stuff for people to study, the floor is the most uncomfortable thing ever.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC

Strangely enough I've never actually been down that way recently.

I'd check it out today, but with the weather at the moment I'd prefer to spend as little time outside as possible.

pHyRe

HSC

What do we think of the new business school/abercrombie precinct? I think it looks pretty nice and the lecture theatres are comfy/great large spaces, but I feel eternally sorry for any students who have to run from wallace to abercrombie between classes. And I think the building is poorly designed as a place to spend time - even though they put in lots of nooks and stuff for people to study, the floor is the most uncomfortable thing ever.
good stuff, probably could have used the space a bit more effectively for study space.

also every single table on level 4 is unused and has signs 'only for faculty' pretty bs imo. no ones using them, let us use it! i get reserving some stuff for faculty of course but they went a bit overboard

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC

Well here is what I've noticed from my maths subjects, if this is any help:

MATH2961 wasn't recorded; the lecturers were both pretty old.
MATH2962 was recorded.
MATH2069/2969 wasn't recorded and again, the lecturer was pretty old.
MATH2065 was recorded, and I'm pretty sure all of the popular normal stream units are.
MATH2070/2970 wasn't recorded.
MATH3063 is recorded.
MATH3066 is recorded, but he writes on the whiteboard so you only get audio.
MATH3061 wasn't recorded, again the lecturers were pretty old. In fact, the lecturer for the first half of the course was so clueless about how the process worked he thought writing something on the blackboard meant it would be recorded.

So yeah, basically what I've noticed is older lecturers don't do recordings, and generally advanced lectures aren't recorded. That's just from my experience though.

RealiseNothing may be able to give you a better indication of more of the advanced subjects.
MATH2962 wasn't recorded last year was it?

I'm pretty sure none of the advanced second year maths subjects were recorded (maybe 2962 as you said but I don't recall it being recorded?)

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC

Ah come to think of it, I'm not so sure now haha.

I have a terrible memory, 2015 was so long ago. :p

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC

Oh dear. I don't think I'd be able to cope with Ruibin Zhang recordings. In person was hard enough. :haha:
Haha, I think I've gotten used to him now, like most of what he says is understandable, but some things just don't make any sense at all, could be worse though.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC

So I'm gonna be at USyd tomorrow for sister's graduation. Come say hi :)

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

Jaden is dragging me into a SUMS thingo

perhaps.

But we'll see, I want to go see a certain friend at UNSW afterwards.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
USYD Chatter Thread - Semester 1 2016

Where and when is the SUMS event? Maybe I can gatecrash for free food ;)

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

Where and when is the SUMS event? Maybe I can gatecrash for free food ;)
I don't know. :p

Actually, I don't even know when I have to be there.

Time to set an 8 am alarm. Better safe than sorry.

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC

Which ceremony? I was at the 9:30 which had to have been the longest thing of ALL TIME. The Chancellor was there and had a little chat with everyone and posed for the stage pic with everyone so they were only getting through 2-3 grads every minute and there were over 250 of them...

Then all the grad organising people were freaking out because it was legit a 2 hr ceremony and the second one was supposed to start at 11:30 but the first ceremony was still in the hall etc. ~drama~

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC

Which ceremony? I was at the 9:30 which had to have been the longest thing of ALL TIME. The Chancellor was there and had a little chat with everyone and posed for the stage pic with everyone so they were only getting through 2-3 grads every minute and there were over 250 of them...

Then all the grad organising people were freaking out because it was legit a 2 hr ceremony and the second one was supposed to start at 11:30 but the first ceremony was still in the hall etc. ~drama~
Was there for 4pm ceremony. One of the graduates greeted the vice chancellor with a kiss on the cheek instead of a handshake lol.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC

lol the Wu Wei thing has hit the smh

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad

"I am going to teach FINC2012 in the first semester and start misleading our students," he posted.

Surely even if all the racist remarks he made doesn't lead to his dismissal, this would right? A head tutor stating in an online forum that he's going to lie to his students presumably about content in the subject, sabotaging their marks. That's so low. Perhaps he'll have to go O/S to find a job now (maybe even China lol)

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC

lol the Wu Wei thing has hit the smh
Just heard about that.

There seems to be one or two people saying that the equivalent Chinese word for "pig" is used as a pejorative term for someone who blindly follows the Communist Party. So perhaps his statements were political, rather than racist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)