USYD Econ or UTS Law (1 Viewer)

__manda95

HSC
Hi guys.

I'm in quite a bit of a hassle as my IB results were released yesterday.
Quick summary: I started my 1st year of the IB (international equivalent to the HSC) in France and finished my last year in Sydney (2 year program). Sadly, as I was warned, my predicted and essentially, final grade dropped quite a bit due to various factors outside of my control and therefore did not achieve the ATAR needed to enter Law in any university other than UWS.

I am fully eligible however for EAS disadvantage points due to having moved and suffering from illness.
USYD offers me -5 points the cutoff
UTS offers me up to 10 points additional to my ATAR
UNSW offers me up to 10 points additional to my ATAR

Although it's not certain, I may be eligible to enter LAW/Business at UTS due to my EAS points, however I'm in LOVE with USYD and would rather study there. However, law is very competitive and I'm afraid of entering any Econ/Business/Science or even Liberal Arts courses at USYD and not being able to transfer into law, thus losing my chance at studying law.
Essentially, my question is whether it's best to (in the case I am accepted) go into Law at UTS or enter USYD with either an Economics/Commerce or International Studies course and hope for the best.

Thank you!

PS: If I am .15 below a flexible entry course, will universities still consider me for entry in addition to my EAS situation?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
If you really want to do Law, then go to UTS.

Keep in mind that you can still do a JD at the conclusion of your undergraduate degree though.

__manda95

HSC
If you really want to do Law, then go to UTS.

Keep in mind that you can still do a JD at the conclusion of your undergraduate degree though.

Thank you for your reply!
My only fear with UTS is the whole "reputation" deal everyone seems to talk about. Additionally, in terms of international recognition or even study abroad.

I'm actually thinking strongly about doing a JD. However I did read that USYD JD is quite competitive, which is confusing me even more as to what I should do.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
If you want to do law, do bus/law at UTS. The business subjects (which you will be doing a lot of in first year) are pretty easy and you should be able to get a good GPA.

If after first year you are still set on USYD, transferring shouldn't be hard. Heard of plenty of people doing it, and I suspect its an easier (and safer) path than an internal transfer at one of the Go8 unis.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)