USyd or UNSW Law - PLEASE HELP!!! (1 Viewer)

BHHS

HSC
Ok I got my UAI today and I did way better then I expected, pretty much enough to give me first round entry into either USyd or UNSW law, depending on which one I chose, but therein lies the problem, I really can't decide.

USyd seems to take the more more elite students as they've almost always had a higher UAI requirement, plus they also have a much longer history and prestige that is recognised internationally.

UNSW lacks the history and prestige, but appears to have better facilities and, if I believe the letter they sent today, have been ranked first in Australia in terms of teaching quality.

I am considering travel time/social life/extra curricular activities when deciding, but primarily I'm looking 10-20 years down the track, and need to know which university will give me the best foundation and opportunities to launch a successful legal career (and no I don't want to become a judge).

Is there anyone out there whose had experience in this area who can help me???

BHHS

HSC
Sydney's closer, but I've been finishing homework on public transport for the last six years, so I can probably handle the longer rides.

Prestige and facilities are only a minor determining factor at the moment, I'm really looking at teaching style and ability of each faculty and which will best prepare me for a career in law. Problem is that I haven't looked at either of them, and uac preferences are due in soon, so I'd really like someone to be able to commenton this.

ibewatto

HSC
Usyd is renowned for its networking, if you go there, and make friends with the right people it could pay off down the track. watever is closer sounds like sound advice too. both are pretty highly esteemed but on reputation alone i say Usyd.

Season

HSC
Go for the one that's closer, you may be used to doing your homework on the train but trust me its sooo much easier if you're closer. Try living closer and it just makes things easier you don't have to worry as much about timetables and whatnot you can just relax, and if you're in a bind you're more likely to have willing people to pick you up if you are closer. Plus have you had a look at your books for next year... they're a tinsy bit heavier and harder to move then your average english textbook.

If I was placed in that situation I'd go Sydney, as I've said before its prettier :) it also is surrounded by a lot of nice clubs and pubs, always a plus.

End of the day, they're both pretty awesome and both will more then adequately prepare you for a career in law.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Musk said:
USYD Law is in St James, its the boring side of town
The new Usyd law building is opening next year, new combined law students will be spending all their time on main campus.

hiddenagenda

HSC
Is it possible to transfer from unsw com to unsw law? I know there are other options but if anyone did this or knows someone who did I'd appreciate it.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
hiddenagenda said:
Is it possible to transfer from unsw com to unsw law? I know there are other options but if anyone did this or knows someone who did I'd appreciate it.
plenty of people do.

ask the law admin office on level 2 of the law building for advice.

MORE UNSW PROPAGANDA

Last edited:

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
ibewatto said:
Usyd is renowned for its networking, if you go there, and make friends with the right people it could pay off down the track. watever is closer sounds like sound advice too. both are pretty highly esteemed but on reputation alone i say Usyd.
'Networking' is contingent on the individual, not the institution they attend. If you're charismatic and generally nice to talk to, you will network usefully wherever you go. Don't choose an institution based on this.

That said, if given the choice presented, I would pick USyd. It's well known internationally, which is important to me as I intend to go overseas eventually, is well located, and from an outsiders perspective equally matches UNSW in terms of its delivery of subject matter. Browsing the respective faculty websites shows that both institutions offer an admirable number of electives.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
hfis said:
'Networking' is contingent on the individual, not the institution they attend. If you're charismatic and generally nice to talk to, you will network usefully wherever you go. Don't choose an institution based on this.
i have had the advantage of reading my friend's opinion in draft, above, and i respectfully agree. :)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
adeen8 said:
unsw social life is pretty good. If u want commerce/law go to unsw.
thanks for reviving this thread. I'm sure the OP was still holding his breath for your invaluable contribution. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)