USyd Students - the VSU Era - What will you do? (1 Viewer)

As a student of the University of Sydney, in 2007 will you…

• Continue to support the student organisations in full (pay all fees)

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • Continue to support the student organisations in part (pay some of the fees)

Votes: 25 42.4%
  • Not support any of the student organisations.

Votes: 22 37.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Liberal Scum said:
America and Britain are also upfront full fee, and have better unis than Australia. What's your point?
Where the hell did you get that idea from. Britain Universities aren't full fee, nor are they (from this year) upfront. All EU citizens pay up to £3000 which is repayed in a similar HECS style scheme in Britain for all public universities (which is more or less all of them including Cambridge and Oxford), which terminates itself after 20 years.

Also alot of American universities have low instate tuition costs through the large public university system (they spend a greater percentage of the GDP towards public tertiary education than Australia does).

Last edited:

melbournian

mexian expat
HSC
While I won't be at uni next year, I will be the following year (I'm deffering). I'll be definantly joining the SRC and Sports Union and most likely the union too.

Adam

HSC
Pay for wankers to polute my uni with their union election crap?

No.

Libbster

HSC
there's no way i'll join, i'm not paying $500 or so dollars to get 50c off a freaking muffin or insert food item of chocie at the so called "union food outlets" which are shit anyway, for the src to use my money on protests that no one cares about and the only people who attend are the same communists that go to every protest, and to pay for sport facilities that i rarely use.

i heart my vsu

gerhard

HSC
does anyone know the actual price next year?

im pretty sure its going to be no where near $500

my guess is like 40 for src, 100 for union and dont care for susport

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
It wouldn't have been decided yet. The Union board is going to decide on the membership structure in the coming weeks.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
This passed by in a conversation between my mother and I today. We were talking about coffee, and union discounts on coffee, and where I drink coffee at uni lol Anyway, I told her about VSU and told her she didn't have to pay $500 next year (my folks pay for my uni education). She asked me, "do you use the union?" I said, "apart from getting 50c cheaper coffee, not really". She said, "ok, i won't pay it then."

And it was settled. To be honest, I don't know much, but I seriously doubt VSU is going to kill uni life. Make food from home kids, much cheaper!

Plus, my parents struggle, so having an extra $500 (+ $200 for my bro at MQ) in their pockets is like gold to them.

lengy

HSC
For some it's trendy to be left, at least in university. :rolleyes: I probably wont pay, unless I'm planning to take part in some university short courses which are really cool but I either don't have the time or can't be bothered. Fortunately I found one that fit my schedule this semester and it was relatively cheap as well. I wouldn't mind the fees so much if it wasn't for all the silly protests.

Calculon

HSC
N/A
Who else thinks it's brilliant that the university have seen fit to strip research and education parts of the university in favour of funding the student organisations?

Generator

HSC
N/A
lengy/everyone said:
I wouldn't mind the fees so much if it wasn't for all the silly protests.
'All' the 'silly protests'? What, maybe two protests a semester? (if that?) Just how silly can a protest be when it's about the funding of our tertiary institutions or the state of our student organisations?

As much as the SRC is to blame, it would be great if everyone could take the time to open their eyes and actually consider what the student associations offer in their entirety before they decide whether or not they will support said associations. No doubt many would still consider their money to be better off in their bank account than with the associations, but at least such a decision would be informed and somewhat defensible (not that they have to defend it if they so choose, of course).

Last edited:

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Nolanistic said:
Hey university is about unfucking the world! COME ON MAN HOW IS MARXISM RELEVANT TO GOLDFISH COME TO OUR MEETING!

Seriously though, this is why Australian University Education is going down the shitter... fast. :(
That and the lack of good income for them in the first place. The government mandating that they can only have such a percentage be full fee places, and then underfunding them is just stupid. If they are going to underfund them actually allow them to get money from local students instead of just trying to get more international students.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
At the expense or out of the spare change the University makes ($90 million per annum from memory)

Over 3 years - University earns $270million+ and in those three years they're taking $10 million out per year to give to student unions for everything BUT political expenses. ie. to keep Manning open, to have Snowball/Beachball events, to have O-Week, to have some services on campus like emergency loans etc.

Is that really that bad?

Calculon

HSC
N/A
ujuphleg said:
At the expense or out of the spare change the University makes ($90 million per annum from memory)

Over 3 years - University earns $270million+ and in those three years they're taking $10 million out per year to give to student unions for everything BUT political expenses. ie. to keep Manning open, to have Snowball/Beachball events, to have O-Week, to have some services on campus like emergency loans etc.

Is that really that bad?
SRC will now funnel all student subscription money into political activity. Like what happened in Victoria under VSR.

EDIT: I know Susan's gonna murder me for this, but how delicious would the irony be if this funding of the student orgs was what pushed political economy over the edge.

Last edited:

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
The SRC will be receiving full funding from the university next year (taking money originally intended for reducing class sizes and improving the quality of our education). In other words, we have no choice about supporting the SRC - we can't even conscientiously object.

walrusbear

HSC
this SRC is the bane of us all!

you people are whinging for the sake of it
on this board, the SRC seems to amount to little more than a handful of irritating activists and the union - some lacklustre food

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Calculon said:
SRC will now funnel all student subscription money into political activity. Like what happened in Victoria under VSR.

EDIT: I know Susan's gonna murder me for this, but how delicious would the irony be if this funding of the student orgs was what pushed political economy over the edge.
Why would I? Whilst I may not agree you are (within the rules of this forum) entitled to free speech and as far as I can see your comment didn't violate any of these.

It would be ironic if that was what would push ECOP over the edge, but I feel compelled to say that, of all the departments in the University, that would be one which would be very difficult to get rid of - there will be A HELL OF A LOT of resistance if push came to shove ie. probably another occupation of Merewether etc.

gerhard

HSC
from honi soit, about the agreement with the uni.

Nick Wood said:
...Its great to know that Honi Soit, essential welfare services and activism will continue next year

Calculon

HSC
N/A
Of course it will, as I said anyone who signs up to the SRC will be directly funding protests, because the rest has been covered by the university.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)