USYD/UNSW Law Transfer (1 Viewer)

volocity

HSC
Hey guys, so i just got my atar of 94.5 and obviously this isn't high enough to get accepted into UNSW/USYD law so I'm planning to transfer after my first year. Out of the two uni's, i'd really like to go to usyd so i'm mainly looking at courses there but i'd be happy with unsw if need be. I'm trying to figure out what courses i should do to get a HD averages as the uni would probably be taking my GPA 100% into account. I was thinking of bachelor of arts but are HD averages achievable in the course? What are some WAM boosters for it? My sister did bachelor of health science and did really well so she could transfer into her actual degree. Although, i feel like doing Health Science would be a little out of the blue for me since my sister was aiming for something in the sciencey field while i'm not. Tbh i don't really mind what i do first year but i just need to make sure i make the right decision and pick something where if i put in effort, HDs can be easily done. I'm aware it's extremely competitive so i'm a little worried about what to do. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

jaydizzlegear

HSC
I would suggest going to Sydney and doing Arts. You might have to work hard for a hd average, but you can get a few D's and a few Hd's and you will still have a really good chance. This is what I wish I did, but instead I chose to do law at another uni. BIG MISTAKE. Law is very hard to get HD's in. So put in a year of hard work, and you have a good chance of getting in to USYD law. UNSW law is way harder to get into with an external transfer, but the best way to ensure you can get into a law degree at one of these unis is to go to UNSW, do Arts or Comm and then internal transfer, which means you need at least 75 WAM, which is very achievable. Much easier than a GPA of 6.

babylonne

HSC
Like the above poster suggested, you should do arts but at UNSW, not USYD. This is because UNSW has an internal transfer program but USYD does not. So you can go to UNSW and apply for an internal transfer that will take into account only your WAM (they have 100 places for UNSW students) while also applying for an external transfer to USYD where you will get judged on an equal basis to students already in USYD anyway.

On the topic of WAM boosters, there is no such thing as a WAM booster. Subject assessments can change every year, meaning one course that was considered easy one year won't be the next year. Also, you might be really good at a subject that everyone considers hard. This year I was offered a UNSW internal transfer to Law after doing 2-3 subjects this year that are considered 'WAM killers' by everyone else.

Good luck!

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
I would suggest going to Sydney and doing Arts. You might have to work hard for a hd average, but you can get a few D's and a few Hd's and you will still have a really good chance. This is what I wish I did, but instead I chose to do law at another uni. BIG MISTAKE. Law is very hard to get HD's in. So put in a year of hard work, and you have a good chance of getting in to USYD law. UNSW law is way harder to get into with an external transfer, but the best way to ensure you can get into a law degree at one of these unis is to go to UNSW, do Arts or Comm and then internal transfer, which means you need at least 75 WAM, which is very achievable. Much easier than a GPA of 6.
Whatever your source is - its probably bullshit. A mate of mine from usyd applied to usyd comm/law and unsw comm/law with 75ish wam rejected from usyd, got into unsw law last year (did not end up accepting because he likes his university).

babylonne

HSC
I think the reason why jaydizzlegear posted that was because at least 100 places are guaranteed to only UNSW students, meaning that there are less places for students from external universities. So although it's not impossible, it's more competitive, I'd assume. On that note, USYD is still really competitive as well.

To OP, I forgot to mention but here's a breakdown of how you'll be assessed:
UNSW Internal Transfer: WAM only
USYD/UNSW External Transfer: WAM or 50% WAM and 50% ATAR

And make sure that you do a course that you'll be happy with if you don't get into Law or have back up options! I was in your shoes last year so PM if you have more questions.

jaydizzlegear

HSC
Whatever your source is - its probably bullshit. A mate of mine from usyd applied to usyd comm/law and unsw comm/law with 75ish wam rejected from usyd, got into unsw law last year (did not end up accepting because he likes his university).
May I ask what his atar was?

such_such

HSC
Many of my mates with wam 80ish internal transferred in UNSW to law. They did commerce/economics which are your other options besides arts. It's not hard (easy for some) to maintain D or HD averages, given you put work into it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)