USYD vs UNSW Business School for Cadets (1 Viewer)

xc1408

HSC
Hi everyone, I'm looking to enter into a cadetship next year and was wondering (besides the culture and campus life) whether there are other distinct differences between the USYD and UNSW business schools.

In the past I understand that UNSW has been a lot more flexible in terms of timetabling compared to USYD. However USYD recently has also become quite flexible as well...and with the new building that's set to open next year, would there be better facilities?

If previous/current cadets who attend either university could reply with their experiences that would be awesome :)

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
UNSW for better timetabling definitely. USYD is closer from work though(assuming your work is in the city), they're both pretty good universities so if it's come down to this I would base it more around travel time to home after university and basically just the vibe you get from the place. (dont worry too much about which friends go to either since you won't be seeing them much around campus at all). Consider UTS as well, alot of cadets go there just because the travel is definitely minimal and helps to stay in the city at times near your work.

xc1408

HSC
Thanks Chronost! - will look into the UTS options as well :)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Traditionally most cadets do UNSW, UTS or Macquarie because of the flexibility in timetables. I've heard USYD is a lot better now and with some firms giving you a whole day off per week, it is manageable. Best bet would be to speak to cadets in the firm you are applying for or successful with and gauge their experiences. You'll also find it's a lot easier if your peers are going to the same uni as you.

xc1408

HSC
Thanks seremify for your reply!

I was also looking through the list of majors available under the B.Commerce at UNSW & USYD and noticed differences. Would there be much of a difference between an Economics (available at USYD) and Financial Economics and Business Economics (available at UNSW)? Of those listed, which would be more suited for a career in the finance/banking industry?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Wait a sec I'm confused. Are you planning this with an accounting Cadetship in mind or the business Cadetship? Neither of the ones you mentioned are any more suitable than any other commerce or business degree majoring in finance when it comes to banking but you need to be specific as finance and banking are relatively broad and encompass a wide variety of activities. Eg capital management (balance sheet optimisation) vs process improvement vs product development vs structured finance vs portfolio reporting vs prop trading vs risk management vs funding vs IB vs investment analysis, etc.

xc1408

HSC
This is with the UBS cadetship. As for the finance areas, all that I've been told is that I have been placed in is a cross business management in equities. I probably don't have the greatest knowledge of what that specifically encompasses, but from talking with line managers, quite a few of them seemed to have studied economics/finance rather than the economics/accounting combination.

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
This is with the UBS cadetship. As for the finance areas, all that I've been told is that I have been placed in is a cross business management in equities. I probably don't have the greatest knowledge of what that specifically encompasses, but from talking with line managers, quite a few of them seemed to have studied economics/finance rather than the economics/accounting combination.
It's because in the equities division alot of the stuff they do revolves around finance,economics tends to be less practical and more about the skills you learn from it,however some of still does have practical use. Accounting is an overall good major, but less relevant to the job itself. (helps to understand companies,but you don't need specific accounting knowledge for that)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Depends on what role in equities. IIRC the cadets are in settlements or risk rather than research or front office.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)