USYD vs UTS vs UWS Nursing? (1 Viewer)

deerless

HSC
I understand that all the courses are recognised by the NMBA and at the end of the day, you still become a nurse. But in terms of teaching quality, facilities, clinical placements, learning environment, cohort, employability, etc... which one's the best?

Please share your or your friends' experiences.

Anamagus

HSC
I'm thinking of becoming a nurse as well, and I'm pretty conflicted as well. So I've been doing a bit of research and I stumbled across this site. I'm not too sure about the UWS nursing program because they don't have too much info online. It appears that UTS is the best in terms of employability. Additionally Usyd only offers 800 hours of placement, whereas UTS offers 1000 hours. If you're sure you want to do straight nursing then UTS seems like the place to go. But then again, Usyd offers combined Masters of Nursing (which is a higher qualification than the bachelors that UWS and UTS offers) with Arts/Science/Health Science

futuremidwife

HSC
Uni Grad
USYD nursing tbh. The reputation is great. It's a higher qualification. It's taught to a higher standard as well. Plus, you get to study another degree alongside it.

I'm doing the arts/m nursing this year @USYD!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deerless

HSC
USYD also offers a bachelor's degree for nursing called Nursing (Advanced Studies). Does it make you more employable as a nurse if you do a Master of Nursing instead of that?

futuremidwife

HSC
Uni Grad
USYD also offers a bachelor's degree for nursing called Nursing (Advanced Studies). Does it make you more employable as a nurse if you do a Master of Nursing instead of that?
It gives you a higher qualification, which yes would mean higher employability + higher pay. You'll enter the workforce with a postgraduate qualification, and that is favoured well more than the undergraduate one. This is from my understanding.

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
No difference, once you become a registered nurse it's all the same, I guess it might look better on paper at the beginning, but then again UTS provides more work experience (and boasts a lot of the bigger and more intense hospitals), but then again not everyone wants to work at a hospital as a nurse.

deerless

HSC
Thank you for your opinions although they seem to conflict.
From what I understand, the combined nursing degree from USyd gives you two degrees (for an extra $12000 if you do B Health Sciences or B Sciences). It seems like the program's greatest strength is that it gives you flexibility and knowledge in another/similar field rather than making a graduate more employable. Doesn't UTS's extra 200 hrs in clinical placement make their graduates more job ready or at least give them an edge compared to those who have only done 800?
Also does anyone know of UWS' Nursing (Advanced) program and how it fares against the other unis?

futuremidwife

HSC
Uni Grad
I think you will get biased opinions on here (see: my response lol). I think all three nursing programs are great, you will leave with the same qualifications, it's not like law or commerce where the university you go to matters.

I would've chosen the UWS Adv Nursing tbh due to convenience, but I also wanted to study religion hence why I chose arts/nursing.

To conclude, I think they're equally the same.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
is nursing not one of those basically guaranteed employment industries with huge shortages nationally?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)