UTS new building (1 Viewer)

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
http://www.uts.edu.au/future-students/business/course-experience/internships
http://www.business.uts.edu.au/student/current/internship/UTS-Business-Internship-Program-2013.pdf
At the orientation day, we were told that this new incentive would take place from next year (supposedly from 2014), catch was that we needed to maintain a Credit average and needed to complete a certain number of units (72 credit points). This means you can only do it at the end of the 2nd year of your degree (48 credit points per year for a full-time student).
Yes, I am looking forward to it and feel very excited. Since I do Business/IT, I could technically do two internships! But I will ditch the I.T. internship and maybe try the new business program.

Last edited:

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
Just note that UTS is a fairly new university and has only been around for 32 years (established in 1981), whereas USYD has been around for 163 years (established in 1850) and UNSW has been around for 64 years (est. in 1949). UTS' ability to compete with such well-established universities is a huge milestone! Overtime, it might slowly catch up with these universities. But it will take time as brent012 said.

Last edited:
HSC
Yea that's good, hopefully i can get a cadet ship in order to have that extra edge over USYD/UNSW kids, particularly most of my friends who are going their haha

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
http://www.uts.edu.au/future-students/business/course-experience/internships
http://www.business.uts.edu.au/student/current/internship/UTS-Business-Internship-Program-2013.pdf
At the orientation day, we were told that this new incentive would take place from next year (supposedly from 2014), catch was that we needed to maintain a Credit average and needed to complete a certain number of units (72 credit points). This means you can only do it at the end of the 2nd year of your degree (48 credit points per year for a full-time student).
Yes, I am looking forward to it and feel very excited. Since I do Business/IT, I could technically do two internships! But I will ditch the I.T. internship and maybe try the new business program.
Thanks for the info man

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
But I will ditch the I.T. internship and maybe try the new business program.
Can you do that? I know with B Eng B Bus it is not compulsory to do the Diploma of Eng Prac, is it the same with B Bus B Sc IT?

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
@Drifting95 nws and all the best with your HSC results this year! Also, you may be interested in Law/Business at UTS. A lot of my friends scored atars ~94-96 and made it in :)
@Brent012, yes you're right. Doing internships is optional for my course. However, if I wanted to do one of them, then it would take an additional year to finish my course. So I'd rather do one (probs try the new business program), and not consider the I.T. internship. This would take ~4.5 years to finish my course. If I wanted to do both the internships for I.T and Business, then probs ~5-6 years all up. I've been told that once you finish your internship program for business, most likely you'll end up getting a job there! I'll have to wait and see...

Last edited:

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
@Drifting95 nws and all the best with your HSC results this year! Also, you may be interested in Law/Business at UTS. A lot of my friends scored atars ~94-96 and made it in :)
@Brent012, yes you're right. Doing internships is optional for my course. However, if I wanted to do one of them, then it would take an additional year to finish my course. So I'd rather do one (probs try the new business program), and not consider the I.T. internship. This would take ~4.5 years to finish my course. If I wanted to do both the internships for I.T and Business, then probs ~5-6 years all up. I've been told that once you finish your internship program for business, most likely you'll end up getting a job there! I'll have to wait and see...
How did they get in with those atars, bonus points or EAS? I have EAS "disadvantaged schools" available to me, would this offer me 5 or 10 points at UTS.

I'm wouldn't be able to do it anyway though, planning to do a cadetship and they only want people who do a single degree.

will_

HSC
Uni Grad
Personally, I'm more excited about UTS getting this 'new' building. What a brilliant work of art.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhuyspvi1g1qe7ljfo1_r1_1280.jpg (At the corner of Mary-Ann and Harris for those wondering)

Currently owned by TAFE, but will be transferred to UTS likely in 2015.

Source: http://www.smh.com.au/national/tert...to-alleviate-overcrowding-20121205-2avvr.html
pretty cool, i heard rumours of such a move (ie the sale of uts kuringai) but didnt know what was really happening to it.

that tafe building uts is getting, i cannot personally imagine its location based on that picture but the uts city campus will have lots of buildings once the 3 new buildings are opened, along with the new tafe ones. I wonder what is going to happen to the current building 5 (business building). will they extend the library or will they keep it solely for law or something else.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
pretty cool, i heard rumours of such a move (ie the sale of uts kuringai) but didnt know what was really happening to it.

that tafe building uts is getting, i cannot personally imagine its location based on that picture but the uts city campus will have lots of buildings once the 3 new buildings are opened, along with the new tafe ones. I wonder what is going to happen to the current building 5 (business building). will they extend the library or will they keep it solely for law or something else.
I'd say haymarket campus will stay as is, not sure for what. Same deal with Building 10. It's currently for the faculty of IT (which has been merged with the faculty of engineering for awhile), it seems the new engineering building will be shared with the IT side of the faculty too so i'm not sure of the point of building 10 anymore.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Do you think you guys are disadvantaged to UNSW/USYD students?
Personally, only that I (and a lot of my friends) have to cop a lot of shit about the tower building, but that's not really a disadvantage so much as a childish "ha-ha your building looks like a penis" from people at other unis. If people actually avoid going to UTS because of such an immature reason I think we can safely say we dodged a bullet there hahaha. In terms of quality of teaching I can't really make a judgement, but my friends doing commerce at UNSW/USYD/Macq often come to me for help with subjects like Accounting and Economics because I can consistently assist them get the right answers (and I only did legal studies in HSC). However they can rarely help me when I have questions, and I have a few buddies already transferring to UTS from around the place in the 2nd semester because they hate it at their respective unis. Of course, there's no guarantee they'll like it any better at UTS but I think it's a very personal thing whether you feel disadvantaged in comparison with other unis.

KidDang

HSC
Uni Grad
Uts bought Kuring-gai for $1? wow what a bargain

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)