UTS or Macquarie University - Which one would you choose and why for Business? (1 Viewer)

robbie13

HSC
Hey guys,

I'm currently in a dilemma in choosing between both Universities mentioned in the title that I have been given offers from over the first round offers in the December to January time period. I definitely do have a passion for business, as well as to broaden my knowledge of all business functions, strategies and skills which will lead me on to hopefully be successful as an entrepreneur in the field of business if all goes to plan.

Yes, Macquarie has a better social life, is much newer University, nice people and is well recognised, but what interests me about UTS even though it is less of a campus life is that I love being around the Sydney CBD and I love the potential that UTS can bring me further down the track in my Undergraduate course.

All feedback will be greatly appreciated and here's hoping it will help me with my final decision. Whether you are a current student at either University or know a bit about both I will definitely take all comments into consideration.

Course of interest is the Bachelor of Business at UTS and Bachelor of Business Administration at Macquarie. Anyone doing these at the moment??

Thanks in advance :)

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
I don't think you can go wrong either way tbh. Anyway most people will say it's close but Macq > UTS for business/commerce. Anyway, what makes you think Macquarie is a much newer uni?

robbie13

HSC
Brent, Macquarie Uni is know for it's innovation and excellence, as well as it's newly developed revolutionary designed buildings. To me it's a hub of innovation, but what interests me more is how modern it looks with state of the art facilities.

It would be good to hear more responses on this question guys :(

is a roflcopter
HSC
you shouldnt pick a university based on how the building looks? or state of the art facilities?
i was visiting wharton last year and it looks like a piece of shit
also most commerce classes involve just a projector from a laptop and some handouts. stone age facilities.

i say UTS

Sathius005

HSC
Uni Grad
UTS is a top five per cent business school in the world. According to the Australian Financial Review UTS is forecasted to be part of the top five business schools in Australia by 2020. The forecasted 2020 rankings for Australian Business schools in Australia are:
1. University of Melbourne
2. University of New South Wales
3. University of Sydney
4. Monash University
5. University of Technology Sydney
6. University of Queensland
7. University of Western Australia
8. Macquarie University

robbie13

HSC
I don't intend on choosing the university based on looks and revolutionary facilities but I would like some enjoyment and campus feel while studying my business degree. So far it's all mixed opinions, I would like a better review of both universities from current students or people who have done the course.

It really is a tough decision!

Thanks.

Last edited:

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Brent, Macquarie Uni is know for it's innovation and excellence, as well as it's newly developed revolutionary designed buildings. To me it's a hub of innovation, but what interests me more is how modern it looks with state of the art facilities.

It would be good to hear more responses on this question guys :(
UTS has new buildings coming soon too though, including one for business faculty. It is supposed to be finished by the end of the year but wouldn't be surprised if it's not in use until spring semester 2014 or even later lol - guess you cant make a decision based on that.

I don't intend on choosing the university based on looks and revolutionary facilities but I would like some enjoyment and campus feel while studying my business degree. So far it's all mixed opinions, I would like a better review of both universities from current students or people who have done the course.

It really is a tough decision!

Thanks.
It's going to be hard to get an unbiased review tbh, especially considering it's rare to find people who have transferred from one to the other.

is a roflcopter
HSC
i dont think UTS is in the top 5% of business schools in the world - what does that even mean, schools are ranked but not by percent. i dont think UTS is in the top 200

Sathius005

HSC
Uni Grad
I highly suggest you get involved in student politics and join Young Labor or the Young Liberals at UTS. UMELBOURNE, UNSW, USYD, Monash University and UTS are among the best universities for student politics. Student politics improves your personality, communication and motivation. The former PM John Howard said that the UTS Liberals are 'one of the most elite student politics organisations in Australia.' Student politics is a great character building exercise.

is a roflcopter
HSC
ok...off topic but ok

Student politics - biggest resume booster ever i love it. join the left though, they are the only ones that actually win office at uni

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
i dont think UTS is in the top 5% of business schools in the world - what does that even mean, schools are ranked but not by percent. i dont think UTS is in the top 200
I think it's a reference to the fact that UTS is AACSB accredited and less than 5% of business schools in the world are. You cant extrapolate that UTS is in the top 5% of business schools in the world from that though.

is a roflcopter
HSC
oh i see

yeah not sure about that, im looking at the website - says "More than 650 member institutions hold AACSB Accreditation. "

thats a lot of schools and also seems macquarie is on the list too..

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Whilst I have heard the Macquarie course content is better in Accounting, for purposes of like and like, I don't think a Bachelor of Business Administration from Macquarie is the same as the Bachelor of Business at UTS. Bachelor of Business Administration sounds more like an entrepreneurship course on how to run your own business whereas the UTS Business course is more akin to Commerce where you are performing a non-core business function either in a company or as an outsourced supplier/firm (e.g. accounting, marketing, finance, etc).

This is just from my initial read of Macquarie's website: http://courses.mq.edu.au/international/undergraduate/degree/bachelor-of-business-administration

robbie13

HSC
No you're exactly right that Bachelor of Business and Bachelor of Business Administration are two different courses but they share many similarities. The major studies at UTS for Bachelor of Business are Accounting, economics, financial services, human resource management, international business, management, marketing and marketing communication. Whereas the major studies for Bachelor of Business Administration are Accounting, business communication, business law, economics, finance, human resources, management marketing, management strategy, organisational behaviour and statistics.

As you can see the above degree is very broadly based and is more for people like me who are interested in having a career as an entrepreneur or business manager. Whereas the other provides an understanding of the key important aspects of business.

Some people say that UTS is best for engineering, IT and Science etc. I guess being around a business park at Macquarie does help.

I'll be happy with either way I go :)

Any other thoughts on both universities?

inJust

HSC
TBH I would go to UTS based solely on travel.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
No you're exactly right that Bachelor of Business and Bachelor of Business Administration are two different courses but they share many similarities. The major studies at UTS for Bachelor of Business are Accounting, economics, financial services, human resource management, international business, management, marketing and marketing communication. Whereas the major studies for Bachelor of Business Administration are Accounting, business communication, business law, economics, finance, human resources, management marketing, management strategy, organisational behaviour and statistics.

As you can see the above degree is very broadly based and is more for people like me who are interested in having a career as an entrepreneur or business manager. Whereas the other provides an understanding of the key important aspects of business.

Some people say that UTS is best for engineering, IT and Science etc. I guess being around a business park at Macquarie does help.

I'll be happy with either way I go :)

Any other thoughts on both universities?
Well one thing to keep in mind then is what kind of career path do you want to go down, what are the expected post grad qualifications (e.g. Chartered Accountant for accounting), and then see whether or not the degree you are choosing is eligible as a prerequisite to enrol. In this case, UTS B Business is ok (as long as you do the accounting major) but the Macquarie course isn't recognised as being sufficient.

robbie13

HSC
I'm leaning towards international business as my major if I go through with the UTS offer, however I'm not too sure on majoring in economics because I didn't study economics throughout school I did Business Studies and Commerce however I'm sure they are all pretty similar. I guess I will have to listen to some more reviews and opinions of both, as well as do some more further research.

Any Accountants here?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)