UTS, UOW or TAFE for Graphic Design? (1 Viewer)

imaqueencard

HSC
Hi guys, which school do you think is the best for studying graphic design in NSW? I'm living in wollongong and i planned to do visual communication design in UOW. But yesterday I talked to my teacher abt this and she said if i want to do graphic design/visual communication, it's much better to go study in sydney or TAFE rather than UOW because UOW can't provide good things in term of graphic design. I'm an international student and also I have just been in Australia for nearly 1y, so much language barriers so Im not confident at getting high ATAR to go to UTS, but now i think i should consider abt UTS. The question is if ATAR isnt a matter, where i should choose to do visual communication/ graphic design? UTS, TAFE or UOW? Thanksss

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I recall you previously mentioned that you want to become an art teacher. As you are already aware, NESA requires you to study an accredited degree if you wish to teach in NSW, a list of which can be accessed here. To my knowledge, the specific university/institution is not a main factor. Based on this, it seems that you have a number of potential options:
  1. Study a Diploma of Graphic Design at TAFE - This is an 8-month course that will provide you with relevant knowledge and skills. This will enable you to focus on the practical side of graphic design given the nature of the course. Once you complete it, you can study a Bachelor of Education at university to satisfy the accreditation requirement. The main advantage of this path is that it is the shortest.
  2. Study a Diploma of Graphic Design at TAFE, then a Bachelor's degree in graphic design - Your TAFE qualification can serve as credit, reducing the duration of the Bachelor's degree. You can also study a Bachelor of Education concurrently (as is the case of UNSW), or simply enrol in a single Bachelor of Education after you complete the graphic design degree. You can also progress towards an accredited teaching degree at Master's level, as is the case of WSU.
  3. Study at university rather than at TAFE - This avoids the need to study at different institutions. Additionally, if you aspire to teach art, perhaps the mostly theoretical format of university degrees is appropriate, since a significant part of teaching as a profession involves communicating theoretical knowledge.
I hope this helps! 😄

imaqueencard

HSC
I recall you previously mentioned that you want to become an art teacher. As you are already aware, NESA requires you to study an accredited degree if you wish to teach in NSW, a list of which can be accessed here. To my knowledge, the specific university/institution is not a main factor. Based on this, it seems that you have a number of potential options:
  1. Study a Diploma of Graphic Design at TAFE - This is an 8-month course that will provide you with relevant knowledge and skills. This will enable you to focus on the practical side of graphic design given the nature of the course. Once you complete it, you can study a Bachelor of Education at university to satisfy the accreditation requirement. The main advantage of this path is that it is the shortest.
  2. Study a Diploma of Graphic Design at TAFE, then a Bachelor's degree in graphic design - Your TAFE qualification can serve as credit, reducing the duration of the Bachelor's degree. You can also study a Bachelor of Education concurrently (as is the case of UNSW), or simply enrol in a single Bachelor of Education after you complete the graphic design degree. You can also progress towards an accredited teaching degree at Master's level, as is the case of WSU.
  3. Study at university rather than at TAFE - This avoids the need to study at different institutions. Additionally, if you aspire to teach art, perhaps the mostly theoretical format of university degrees is appropriate, since a significant part of teaching as a profession involves communicating theoretical knowledge.
I hope this helps! 😄
Thank you so much!!! I think I have to reconsider abt being an art teacher or graphic designer. Hope it's not too late because im doing HSC now

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)