UTS vs UNSW Business vs Commerce? (1 Viewer)

emmatheron

HSC
uts has only business degrees whilst UNSW has both business and commerce.
looking through the individual units completed, uts bus. and unsw comm. seem virtually the same. Which is better and what are the differences?

HSC
N/A
uts business as the title suggests is for individuals who want to manage their small business or open up them small to medium sized ones, where as usyd/unsw commerce degrees are for commercial businesses in the corporate world.

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
UNSW is a better uni in general, but I also think that UNSW is meant to have something like the best Commerce degree/faculty in Australia.

emmatheron

HSC
the unsw faculty is called the faculty of business.
the degree involves macroeconomics - ie a wholistic approach to the economy and businesses not just SMEs

akqjt

HSC
Everyone above me is a fucking moron, don't listen to them.

The degrees/majors are the same in essence. Obviously things will be differently taught etc as you would also find when comparing USYD/UNSW commerce, but UTS business is practically the same as UNSW/USYD commerce.

UNSW is considered to be a 'superior' university so it's 'better' to go there. Although as I continue through my university years I have come to realise the prestige of your university doesn't mean much in most cases. I will say though that UTS business courses are generally a lot easier than UNSW courses, as I have compared my work (UNSW comm) with my friends at UTS doing business. Their exams also sound a lot easier.

Hope I've helped. Also, don't listen to the people above.

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
The degrees/majors are the same in essence. Obviously things will be differently taught etc as you would also find when comparing USYD/UNSW commerce, but UTS business is practically the same as UNSW/USYD commerce.

UNSW is considered to be a 'superior' university so it's 'better' to go there. Although as I continue through my university years I have come to realise the prestige of your university doesn't mean much in most cases. I will say though that UTS business courses are generally a lot easier than UNSW courses, as I have compared my work (UNSW comm) with my friends at UTS doing business.

Hope I've helped. Also, don't listen to the people above.
What the fuck?? If you are saying that UNSW is a 'superior' uni, how can you think they are essentially the same? OP, if you get into both, choose UNSW because there is a reason it is meant to have the best Commerce degree - because it is the best.

Their exams also sound a lot easier.
Haha, and you think we are the fucking morons...do you even realise what you are saying?

Garygaz

HSC
Don't go to UNSW and do commerce unless you're asian, srsly. I'm doing it atm and hating it, gonna transfer out to either macquarie or UTS next semester for a social life.

akqjt

HSC
What the fuck?? If you are saying that UNSW is a 'superior' uni, how can you think they are essentially the same? OP, if you get into both, choose UNSW because there is a reason it is meant to have the best Commerce degree - because it is the best.

Haha, and you think we are the fucking morons...do you even realise what you are saying?
Thousands of HSC students do 4u mathematics (as in both UTS and UNSW business/commerce are the same thing) but the quality of teaching of 2u mathematics will be better at James Ruse, as opposed to Blacktown HS. I hope that makes sense, I apologise if I insulted you. Don't assume I am saying that James Ruse = UNSW and that Blacktown HS = UTS, it's just an example.

While I may not be able to comment with 100% authority, I do see my friend's work, and how hard they work to achieve their marks. I can only conclude that UNSW tests harder, at least in the areas of accounting and finance.

Garygaz

HSC
Thousands of HSC students do 4u mathematics (as in both UTS and UNSW business/commerce are the same thing) but the quality of teaching of 2u mathematics will be better at James Ruse, as opposed to Blacktown HS. I hope that makes sense, I apologise if I insulted you. Don't assume I am saying that James Ruse = UNSW and that Blacktown HS = UTS, it's just an example.

While I may not be able to comment with 100% authority, I do see my friend's work, and how hard they work to achieve their marks. I can only conclude that UNSW tests harder, at least in the areas of accounting and finance.
Yeah you're right. I have seen the assignments and tests they sit at UTS and they are easier.

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
Oh, no I understood what you were saying, but the OP said something about what we thought was the better option for a degree. Yes, B Business is similar to B Comm, but UNSW is (probably) better than UTS in that regard.

And as for the 'easier tests', it just seemed like a stupid belief to factor in when deciding what uni to attend. Its not like your going to be disadvantaged with a harder test.

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
Oh, no I understood what you were saying, but the OP said something about what we thought was the better option for a degree. Yes, B Business is similar to B Comm, but UNSW is (probably) better than UTS in that regard.

And as for the 'easier tests', it just seemed like a stupid belief to factor in when deciding what uni to attend. Its not like your going to be disadvantaged with a harder test.

I dont know... I would argue that there's some benefit in doing the same amount of study and getting passes/credits at one uni and credits/distinctions at another.

If you're not overly fussed about your education and just want to get through nicely, e.g. if you've already got a job or good work experience etc. then the fact UTS is a lot easier is a big positive.

I remember consolidation accounting for instance.. UTS spends almost whole course on content that UNSW covers in 4 weeks.

I have a friend who has HD'd two subjects at UTS by copying peoples assignments and MC answers. In one case he was even offered to apply to be a tutor at UTS and he doesn't even have the slightest clue what the course is even on. I wish I was joking - but i'll leave that up to the UTS academics.

Last edited:
HSC
I dont know... I would argue that there's some benefit in doing the same amount of study and getting passes/credits at one uni and credits/distinctions at another.

If you're not overly fussed about your education and just want to get through nicely, e.g. if you've already got a job or good work experience etc. then the fact UTS is a lot easier is a big positive.

I remember consolidation accounting for instance.. UTS spends almost whole course on content that UNSW covers in 4 weeks.

I have a friend who has HD'd two subjects at UTS by copying peoples assignments and MC answers. In one case he was even offered to apply to be a tutor at UTS and he doesn't even have the slightest clue what the course is even on. I wish I was joking - but i'll leave that up to the UTS academics.
incredibly biased.

pfft you are delusional if you think similar things don't happen at unsw considering you are a cadet im sure you have lots of the "notes" which you are criticisng at uts.

all unis are the same, i can post heaps of people ranting about unsw there was a post by someone who has been on the forums that unsw has gone for mc type q's, people who have assignments/past papers etc. As well as things I have seen first hand from friends at unsw.

Funny you use accounting as a base, considering from what I've heard about UNSW's accounting major and the lack of practicality. 4 weeks learning consolidation argument- that hardly helps your cause since its one of the worst done areas in the FIN module in the CA. Not surprising if you say its done in 4 weeks at unsw.

I just think you need to get off the UNSW wandbagon and get rid of all the bias in your posts, i remember you posting that a manager at ur firm said that they don't care if you go to UTS or UNSW.

It comes down to experience, marks, extra curriculars. If you need to spend less time to get a few more marks at UTS, and get more exposure to do other things because of having free time it is win win.

Not saying UTS is better, but UNSW has many faults also which you seem to brush aside when you post

Last edited:

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
incredibly biased.

pfft you are delusional if you think similar things don't happen at unsw considering you are a cadet im sure you have lots of the "notes" which you are criticisng at uts.

all unis are the same, i can post heaps of people ranting about unsw there was a post by someone who has been on the forums that unsw has gone for mc type q's, people who have assignments/past papers etc. As well as things I have seen first hand from friends at unsw.

Funny you use accounting as a base, considering from what I've heard about UNSW's accounting major and the lack of practicality. 4 weeks learning consolidation argument- that hardly helps your cause since its one of the worst done areas in the FIN module in the CA. Not surprising if you say its done in 4 weeks at unsw.

I just think you need to get off the UNSW wandbagon and get rid of all the bias in your posts, i remember you posting that a manager at ur firm said that they don't care if you go to UTS or UNSW.

It comes down to experience, marks, extra curriculars. If you need to spend less time to get a few more marks at UTS, and get more exposure to do other things because of having free time it is win win.

Not saying UTS is better, but UNSW has many faults also which you seem to brush aside when you post
Sorry mate, reality is end of the day UTS is an easier university. I was promoting that in UTS's favor in this instance.

I know people who have switched both ways. The UNSW people did much better at UTS and the UTS people did much worse at UNSW.

"All unis are the same" ? How is that even possible. Get real.

The four weeks consolidation example does help my cause because it illustrates that UNSW is harder.

Now I've clearly hit some sort of nerve, because that's all I said: UNSW is harder. I recommended it to people working that want an easier uni experience.

I didn't make any other statements or claims, so you can spare me your strawman reasoning.

Edit: Straw man - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
HSC
Sorry mate, reality is end of the day UTS is an easier university. I was promoting that in UTS's favor in this instance.

I know people who have switched both ways. The UNSW people did much better at UTS and the UTS people did much worse at UNSW.

"All unis are the same" ? How is that even possible. Get real.

The four weeks consolidation example does help my cause because it illustrates that UNSW is harder.

Now I've clearly hit some sort of nerve, because that's all I said: UNSW is harder. I recommended it to people working that want an easier uni experience.

I didn't make any other statements or claims, so you can spare me your strawman reasoning.

Edit: Straw man - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
you made the claim about past exam papers and regurgitation when the same applies at unsw there was someone who ranted a while and how unsw is converting more mcq style q's. If you are suggesting this is not the case at UNSW in Commerce that's untrue and I'm sure you've advantaged via friends from work through past assignments for example.

I agree UNSW is harder, has a better brand overall but if you are doing a generic commerce degree the advantage provided is very little if anything at all. Honours, law big difference but this talk about a generic commerce degree provides very little extra value if the prestige factor is the primary consideration. Extra curriculars and work experience are the main factors and marks.

And no nerve but its annoying as the same points you posted happen at UNSW also and virtually all other unis at the undergrad level about past papers etc.

I personally think UNSW teaches finance better, though not accounting.

Garygaz

HSC
I agree UNSW is harder, has a better brand overall but if you are doing a generic commerce degree the advantage provided is very little if anything at all. Honours, law big difference but this talk about a generic commerce degree provides very little extra value if the prestige factor is the primary consideration. Extra curriculars and work experience are the main factors and marks.
You're saying UTS has the same prestige as UNSW for commerce? :rofl:

HSC
You're saying UTS has the same prestige as UNSW for commerce? :rofl:
obviously reading isn't one of your strong points, considering you quoted me saying unsw has more prestige. the point is when there's over 1k people doing commerce, the whole prestige factor gets thrown out the window if you are doing a single degree and the only way you are going for top tier companies will be via marks, extra curriculars and your work experience.

Hence why it makes very little difference the prestige factor as the other factors will get you the interview, if you do a law degree or honours different story....

Garygaz

HSC
obviously reading isn't one of your strong points, considering you quoted me saying unsw has more prestige. the point is when there's over 1k people doing commerce, the whole prestige factor gets thrown out the window if you are doing a single degree and the only way you are going for top tier companies will be via marks, extra curriculars and your work experience.

Hence why it makes very little difference the prestige factor as the other factors will get you the interview, if you do a law degree or honours different story....
Nah, I have a family friend who went to England to work in finance and for one of the jobs he applied for the university he went to had to be a part of the G8 uni's if it wasn't a European uni. So yah, prestige does matter.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Nah, I have a family friend who went to England to work in finance and for one of the jobs he applied for the university he went to had to be a part of the G8 uni's if it wasn't a European uni. So yah, prestige does matter.
Exception to the rule, rather than the norm, I'd say.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)