UTS Women in Engineering and IT Scholarship vs UNSW Computer Science (1 Viewer)

arbitrary

HSC
Hi, current interstate Year 12 student here. I've been looking to apply for universities in Sydney for Computer Science/Software Engineering and am weighing up between plain ol' UNSW Computer Science (I know I can try for UNSW Co-Op, but I doubt I'll get in) and the UTS WiEIT.

It's pretty much unanimous that UNSW is the best in Australia for this field, but at the same time (given the state of the job market) I'm not sure whether the UNSW name value outweighs the practical experience from internships, WiEIT networking opportunities and scholarship money. On the other hand, some of the UTS content is apparently outdated and doesn't cover as much as UNSW courses do.

Would any current university students be willing to weigh in on this? Thank you!

liamkk112

HSC
Hi, current interstate Year 12 student here. I've been looking to apply for universities in Sydney for Computer Science/Software Engineering and am weighing up between plain ol' UNSW Computer Science (I know I can try for UNSW Co-Op, but I doubt I'll get in) and the UTS WiEIT.

It's pretty much unanimous that UNSW is the best in Australia for this field, but at the same time (given the state of the job market) I'm not sure whether the UNSW name value outweighs the practical experience from internships, WiEIT networking opportunities and scholarship money. On the other hand, some of the UTS content is apparently outdated and doesn't cover as much as UNSW courses do.

Would any current university students be willing to weigh in on this? Thank you!
uts compsci is fine, that being said it is a much less theoretical approach to computer science than unsw, which is definetly much heavier in content and workload. content isn't really outdated and they change the courses fairly frequently, for example a couple years ago they only taught java in programming 1 but given the increased popularity of python they also teach that alongside java now. i will say uts treats u like u have absolutely zero knowledge in the semester 1 subjects and build everything from scratch, as a result it can be a bit slower than unsw to begin with. for example in discrete math we've done proofs and logic and this week sets, whereas at unsw they've gone over number theory, set theory, functions and relations and have barely explained proof in full, they pretty much just assume u already know how to write a proof as in all those topics u are required to write proofs. i will say that if you haven't done mx2, unsw discrete math is probably really hard, yet if you have done mx2 then these first weeks of uts discrete math are pretty much free. however neither approach is wrong and both have their benefits (at uts students who did adv/mx1 will be able to build their skills from scratch, at unsw they would be left behind but those who did mx2 would be able to extend their knowledge faster than at uts), and if i didn't do mx2 in school then i probably would much rather do uts discrete math lol.

another thing to consider is that majority of industry roles in tech usually want you to have developed your own projects and have work experience, and degree is just the bare minimum (or they don't even care), and depending on the job the interview might pretty much be all they care about. sometimes there's multiple interview rounds, each where they present coding problems and they want u to explain ur process and solve the problems, but again this is variable to the job. but basically the large majority employers in tech really couldn't care less about if uts, rmit, uq, or unsw is on your transcript, they pretty much just care about your experience and skills. so if you can get better internship opportunities at uts then go for it over unsw i'd say. i'd just choose whichever uni offers the more comfortable environment and opportunities, if u get a scholarship at uts but not at unsw then pick uts, it won't stop you from getting a good job at the end.

liamkk112

HSC
also im curious why u dont want to go to uni in your own state? unless if u live regional or something

arbitrary

HSC
Thanks for the replies, everyone.
UNSW has women in engineering scholarships too?
The job market for CS grads is apparently a bloodbath, so I do want to prioritise getting guaranteed industry placements, even if it is as UTS over UNSW :'] But yes, I'll look into the UNSW WiE scholarships!
uts compsci is fine, that being said it is a much less theoretical approach to computer science than unsw, which is definetly much heavier in content and workload. content isn't really outdated and they change the courses fairly frequently, for example a couple years ago they only taught java in programming 1 but given the increased popularity of python they also teach that alongside java now. i will say uts treats u like u have absolutely zero knowledge in the semester 1 subjects and build everything from scratch, as a result it can be a bit slower than unsw to begin with. for example in discrete math we've done proofs and logic and this week sets, whereas at unsw they've gone over number theory, set theory, functions and relations and have barely explained proof in full, they pretty much just assume u already know how to write a proof as in all those topics u are required to write proofs. i will say that if you haven't done mx2, unsw discrete math is probably really hard, yet if you have done mx2 then these first weeks of uts discrete math are pretty much free. however neither approach is wrong and both have their benefits (at uts students who did adv/mx1 will be able to build their skills from scratch, at unsw they would be left behind but those who did mx2 would be able to extend their knowledge faster than at uts), and if i didn't do mx2 in school then i probably would much rather do uts discrete math lol.

another thing to consider is that majority of industry roles in tech usually want you to have developed your own projects and have work experience, and degree is just the bare minimum (or they don't even care), and depending on the job the interview might pretty much be all they care about. sometimes there's multiple interview rounds, each where they present coding problems and they want u to explain ur process and solve the problems, but again this is variable to the job. but basically the large majority employers in tech really couldn't care less about if uts, rmit, uq, or unsw is on your transcript, they pretty much just care about your experience and skills. so if you can get better internship opportunities at uts then go for it over unsw i'd say. i'd just choose whichever uni offers the more comfortable environment and opportunities, if u get a scholarship at uts but not at unsw then pick uts, it won't stop you from getting a good job at the end.
Thank you so much! That's really detailed, I appreciate it.
I have a couple of simple projects, I'm hoping to expand on that soon. Plus, I have been working on small coding problems, hindered by the fact I'm still learning DSA hah.

To your second question, I am South Australian and the opportunities, and the tech industry here is tiny. Our two largest universities are also merging in 2026 - an incredibly divisive decision - and this would be in the middle of my degree :/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)