UWS Open Day (1 Viewer)

L

LaraB

melsc said:
*I know I am sad*

Me and my friends went into some Whitlam Library *is that the law library?* anyway there were so many law books, I was soooo excited so I took some pics with my camera phone :rolleyes: It probably is the law library since I noticed there was only law books in there...
lol nah mel

parra doesn't have any subject specific libraries..

just that the law books - they take up a lot of space coz each volume of say, The All English Reports has like 20/30 books in it..

a lot's available online hough now so a lot of the books are older years

there certainly arent only law books.....

the front and back aisles are all non law... the middle several are law but there are heaps of non law books around.. there's probly just as many business related ones:)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
ohhhh so that's what all those tents were.
Melsc, UWS's law library.... is tiny. Especially at Parramatta (there's a decent sized one at campbelltown) but even that one has absolutely nothing on usyd/unsw.

We do have good online access however, which is what most people use anyway.

L

LaraB

klh said:
Every degree has electives, its just people like to follow the teaching schedule, but you can take your electives whenever you want, its your choice, so say if you want to trasnfer and your in any other degree besides the one you want to be in, just enrol by handing in a prgram variation form and your done diddly done. so you can do intro to law and say you get the transfer, you dont waste your time as you get academic credit.
not every degree has electives :) - combined degrees say, i'm doing B Business/B Laws you dont have electives for any of the non law degree...

so say you wanted to transfer from single degree to single degree eg B Tourism into a course like B Arts or somethin, that system works

but say you wanted to transfer from a double degree to double degree, say, B Laws/B Business(HRM & IR) to say..... B Laws/B Arts, you can transfer the law stuff but since you dont have any electives for the other half, its unlikely you'll have alraedy done Arts units so it won't work

keep in mind though say you're doing a business course you do Intro to Bus Law which seems quite smilar to Intro to Law so you may not be allowed to do Intro to Law at the same time and the Intro to Bus Law may or may not et you academic credit, i'm not sure bout that one... but yeah its somethin worth checkin if you'r elookin into that:)

L

LaraB

Not-That-Bright said:
Melsc, UWS's law library.... is tiny. Especially at Parramatta (there's a decent sized one at campbelltown) but even that one has absolutely nothing on usyd/unsw.

jus so people aren't confused - Parra UWS DOES NOT have a 'law library'... there are law books in the library but tehre isn't a 'law library' as such

campbelltown does have one though..not sure how big it is or anything coz neva een there..

yes you do use mostly online stuff but you do use hard copies - its part of the criteria for your 1st year assignments - that you use a variety of mediums to look for sources so yeah :) but i mean, yeah its not as big as unsw, but i don't know anyone who's yet needed to go elsewhere... there' more than enough in the library combined with LexisNexis, AGIS, AUstLii, Parliamentary Library etc etc etc online :)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:

Yeh I have seen the UNSW one and it is massive :eek: but really it is much easier to look them up online anyway

klh

HSC
LaraB said:
jus so people aren't confused - Parra UWS DOES NOT have a 'law library'... there are law books in the library but tehre isn't a 'law library' as such

campbelltown does have one though..not sure how big it is or anything coz neva een there..

yes you do use mostly online stuff but you do use hard copies - its part of the criteria for your 1st year assignments - that you use a variety of mediums to look for sources so yeah :) but i mean, yeah its not as big as unsw, but i don't know anyone who's yet needed to go elsewhere... there' more than enough in the library combined with LexisNexis, AGIS, AUstLii, Parliamentary Library etc etc etc online :)
yes, thanks for your correction. BUt for double degrees, the alternative would be to simply drop all those subjects and take on the ones that you like and hope to god that you will gain the neccesary grades for the trasnfer or just do the law ones, so basically pick the law subjects in the semester your starting in [e.g. if you start in autumn, pick the units for 1st yr aut and 2nd yr aut] so your whole semester is comprised of law subjects.
about not knowing your arts subs if you do LLB/BBUS, well you can talk to the course coordinater about arts and theyll tell you.

EDIT: it seems that ive quoted th ewrong post...forgiveness plaease as i dunno hoe to change it.

Last edited:

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
melsc said:
Yes books don't have a "find" function
Yes they do! Just look at the index. If the key word isn't in the index, I don't bother looking at the book.

Jonathan A

HSC
melsc said:
Yeh I have seen the UNSW one and it is massive :eek: but really it is much easier to look them up online anyway

I have been and used the law library facilities at USyd and UNSW. Apart from UWS have a self-borrowing function and saving time, those libraries really don't offer much more than UWS does. What makes the libaries look bigger is they are in the law buildings which are big.

Jonathan A

HSC
LaraB said:

Actually Parra does have a law library - it is mainly for staff or researching students. It is located in the Law School building - it's very nice as well!

L

LaraB

Jonathan A said:
Actually Parra does have a law library - it is mainly for staff or researching students. It is located in the Law School building - it's very nice as well!
yeah i meant like..it doesn't have one that anyone just rocks up and uses... not like the one at campbelltown called the "law library" lol.. coz it comes up when you search the library catalogue but the parra little one doesn.t

i dont see many people other than staff using the law school building library... :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)