UWS percentile cutoff? (1 Viewer)

pollygram

HSC
Hey guys I failed my umat exam. I think I'll end up getting 50% for both sections 1 and 2. But I'm confident I'll do very well in section 3. But UWS only counts half of section 3 so it's not going to change much.
What is the minimum percentile you need to get in an interview? Also, based on what I think I'll get, what percentile would I end up getting?
Thanks and hope everyone else did well :)

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
tbh I felt the same way (think most people did) but with regards to UWS med, my mate at UNSW med said at the LEAST 90th percentile to even be considered, 95th for a high chance at interview

pollygram

HSC
tbh I felt the same way (think most people did) but with regards to UWS med, my mate at UNSW med said at the LEAST 90th percentile to even be considered, 95th for a high chance at interview
:( there goes a waste of a year.

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
:( there goes a waste of a year.
are you considering doing a first year adv science course, then umat again? because a friend of mine is doing that this year, he talked about a 'second year' entry from first year uni (based on GPA + UMAT)

Dylanamali

HSC
UWS med weights UMAT differently to all other uni's..
weighting it 1:1:0.5, that is section 3 is weighted half of section 1 and 2.
I believe that I weighted mark of around 145-150 is need to obtain an interview for GWS students.

Dylanamali

HSC
yes..
technically if you SMASHED either section 1 or section 2 then you could have failed and done horrible in s3.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
as far as I know, UWS doesn't require 50/50/50 unlike UNCLE.
last year it was 57/50/50

Their cutoff is technically 50/50/50, but then they rank you on section one scores, and I think 57 was needed for an interview last year.

Johno23

HSC
N/A

Their cutoff is technically 50/50/50, but then they rank you on section one scores, and I think 57 was needed for an interview last year.
58 was needed for interviews last year but there were individuals who got 58 who did not get invited for interviews. There are high 58's and low 58's which ACER will pass on to the universities.

Johno23

HSC
N/A

This is off topic but you seemed to be pretty happy with S3 this year. What was your s3 score on last years paper?

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
58 was needed for interviews last year but there were individuals who got 58 who did not get invited for interviews. There are high 58's and low 58's which ACER will pass on to the universities.
I dunno. Just saying what I was told.

I got ~62/48/59 (also, this answers your above question, but also read below)

So no interview for me. :cry:

I just need section 2 above 50 this year considering I think section 1 and 3 were easier (but they scale so they'll probs give shitter results. :( ).

BELOW: I though section three was easier, but since it was I could do every question, which means I wasn't skipping and guessing, so I ran out of time and then guessed like 20 questions anyways. ~whoops~

So I don't think I went super well, but I do think it was easier.

Johno23

HSC
N/A
I dunno. Just saying what I was told.

I got ~62/48/59 (also, this answers your above question, but also read below)

So no interview for me. :cry:

I just need section 2 above 50 this year considering I think section 1 and 3 were easier (but they scale so they'll probs give shitter results. :( ).

BELOW: I though section three was easier, but since it was I could do every question, which means I wasn't skipping and guessing, so I ran out of time and then guessed like 20 questions anyways. ~whoops~

So I don't think I went super well, but I do think it was easier.
Not trying to sound condescending but i don't think you can really comment on section 3's easiness if you guessed the last 20Q's. I must say the last set of 10Q's in s3 were the hardest i had ever seen.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Not trying to sound condescending but i don't think you can really comment on section 3's easiness if you guessed the last 20Q's. I must say the last set of 10Q's in s3 were the hardest i had ever seen.
I didn't guess the last 20.

I skipped the middle 20 and then came back because I'm the worst at "find the middle"

My UMAT style is:
Section 1 - Do 24 questions then go from 48 backwards to 25 (not exactly backwards, but in terms of passages and shit)
Section 2 - Same as section one pretty much. First half then work backwards. Except skip things that have 1 or two questions to a passage and then come back.
Section 3 - First section of stuff (next in the series, pick the middle, whatever (usually leave pick the middle for last). Last section of stuff. Then second section, second last section, etc. until it's done. And I found the last 10 really easy.

So yeah…

Johno23

HSC
N/A
Before the time finished, how many questions did you end up guessing in s3 because of time constraints?

Last edited:

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Before the time finished, how many questions did you end up guessing in s3 because of time constraints?
Honestly? Like 5.

I managed to do most of the questions I had left in the last 10 minutes, and the ones I cbf spending time on I could get down to 2 answers.

justmitch

HSC
in terms of section 1 and 3 i think i got around (65% and 80%).. they felt easier to me than section 2. if i get below 50% in section 2 does that mean my umat percentile will b irrelevant as i have failed a section??

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
in terms of section 1 and 3 i think i got around (65% and 80%).. they felt easier to me than section 2. if i get below 50% in section 2 does that mean my umat percentile will b irrelevant as i have failed a section??
depends on the Uni.

UWS and UNSW don't care as long as you meet their score cutoffs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)