UWSconnect (1 Viewer)

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Jonathan A will know :p

I have no idea, the day they had uws connect stuff at uni I couldn't wait to do home cause I was tired, lol.

Jonathan A

HSC
Didn't notice this thread lol.

UWSConnect is a new student organisation. Before 2004, the university only had a prostgrad union and student organisation on each campus .e.g. Bankstown Students Assoc, Parra and Penrith Students Assoc, etc...

Many of these, especially BSA were run badly. BSA was on the verge of insolvency and was still trading its outlets. They also did not gives students diaries (costed too much according to them), however still managed to spend money on printing pamphlets on why they couldn't print diaries and heaps more pamphlets printing garbage against the university and most biggest problem, student fees contributed to this.

The University decided to limit funds going to the union :uhhuh: and the uni wanted to work with a more of an organised group of people that cared for students. So it supported UWSConnect Ltd to run sports and commercial services (two main committees) on each campus.

UWSConnect is a corporation, it has liabilities like any other company and its leaders are official corporate directors who can be fined and imprisoned if anything goes wrong under their directorship (unlikely). Directors are elected by students, you are like shareholders to point you choose the executive on your campus.

Your student services fees go to UWSConnect and the replacement UWSSA (amalgamation of old student unions that deal with welfare). UWSConnect is a not-for-profit organisation or "A Company Limited by Guarantee and Not Having Share Capital" so profits / dividends are not sent off to another company or external shareholder, they are re-invested back into UWSConnect to provide you with services.

We organise and run sports facilities including the Uni Games, Harbour Cruise, Balls, all your unishops, cafeterias and bars. We are working closely with the university to provide a good outcome and use of land. Our aim is pretty much to have all the good stuff other unis have ;)

I am the Chairman of the Parramatta Services Committee, my job is to work with the campus coordinator and student director in chairing meetings where we can submit ideas and concerns of students, my job is to address what students want.

klh

HSC
ive asked you once before, but ill ask again since you didnt reply to it. [becoz i edited a post so you mustve missed it]
how do you get involved?

Jonathan A

HSC
srp123au said:
how does it work? how do you get invovled in it?

As for involvement, our committees are looking for more members, and we will be advising students soon of this.

Jonathan A

HSC
klh said:
ive asked you once before, but ill ask again since you didnt reply to it. [becoz i edited a post so you mustve missed it]
how do you get involved?

See my post above lol.

The UWSConnect elections did not see any challenges in the positions for committees, so there are vacancies which are still to be clarified with directors. In terms of services and programs, they are open to all students.

klh

HSC
also, what times are needed to spend to help the commitees...i mean i want personal time to study during stuvac and stuff.

Jonathan A

HSC
klh said:
also, what times are needed to spend to help the commitees...i mean i want personal time to study during stuvac and stuff.

Meetings are monthly usually. They don't interfere with stuvac.

klh

HSC
this is going to go on and on but im curious...
what goes on??? is there like big arguments and then students declare war etc... well im sure you guys are all civilised i guess since i read your stance about them left wing poeple. but like do you discuss everything? i want to rais e the issue of uws admin but im not sure if its part of uws connect...

Jonathan A

HSC
klh said:
this is going to go on and on but im curious...
what goes on??? is there like big arguments and then students declare war etc... well im sure you guys are all civilised i guess since i read your stance about them left wing poeple. but like do you discuss everything? i want to rais e the issue of uws admin but im not sure if its part of uws connect...

Admin issues need to be addressed with admin, UWSConnect does not argue (wastes time and money). See previously, former student unions did the arguing and ran facilities and look what happened to them? We have crap all and its a working progress now. If you wanna be banner-holder so to speak, UWSSA is more your organisation to get involved in.

Jonathan A

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
can i join to push my right-wing political agenda somehow?

Being commercial, we are apolitical. We do not push any agendas other than progressing the services of the campus. But feel free to bring them up.

klh

HSC
thanks Jonathan for the info.
umm..i dunno if you have heard but uws's office of the dean of students [ods] are stopping soem of their services, something about stopping their counselling and learning skills becasue of budget cuts. is this true? and how are you guys dealing with it?

Jonathan A

HSC
klh said:
thanks Jonathan for the info.
umm..i dunno if you have heard but uws's office of the dean of students [ods] are stopping soem of their services, something about stopping their counselling and learning skills becasue of budget cuts. is this true? and how are you guys dealing with it?

Has nothing to do with us. This is a welfare issue and the UWSSA would have a response. To the best of my knowledge, the LSU and Counselling will continue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)