V8 Supercars 2006 (1 Viewer)

shortygb

BOSer #13412
HSC
wow! what a crazy race that was, Adelaide once again gives us alot of crashes and suprises. Good on Whincup in getting his first win, hes got some potential now with a good team behind him.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
<3 yay!

Yesterdays race was much better than todays.
The amount of drive through penalties that were handed out, well, makes me question what kind driving standard observers we have. And even some safety cars weren't necessary.
I'm not Ricks biggest fan - but he really didn't jump the start.

And why couldn't the clipsal 500 be last week, the amount of teams that have almost totalled cars from Adelaide, will struggle to get them fully race trim for the Grand Prix.

I was surprised to see Skaife help Murph out of the car, I thought Skaife was going to give one to Murph.

Poor Lowndes and Courtney, my two fav drivers crashing out in one crash :eek:

HSC
Adelaide really is the best race weekend, other than Bathurst of course.

There is alot of overtaking on the track, one of the greatest turns for spectators (turn 8) and it seems to have such a carnival atmosphere to it. I just really want to go next year.

I'm glad that we have some new faces in the top 10. Max Wilson, Whincup, Cam McConville and even Steve Johnson finally starting to deliver on his talent - even if it is 5 years too late!

Why is there such a short turn around period between Adelaide and Melbourne? I know that they mentioned it sometime during yesterdays telecast but why was Shanghai dropped and Winton added back on? Wasn't it something to do with a change of schedule? Cape? :confused:

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
China is off the calender because the organisers and AVESCO could not decide on an appropriate date that would suit them both, the time that AVESCO wanted the China round, clashed with their major food and wine festival. Brad Jones will be happy that Winton is back though.
Knowing AVESCO they'll have it back on the calender for next year. Although, I really don't like the fact that its going to Bahrain and China.

Theres such a quick turn around between Adelaide and Melbourne, thanks to the Commonwealth Games. I still think Adelaide should have been the weekend before.

What do we think of reverse grid races, for the second of the three races? If Ingall is driving conservatively again to get his championship, I think he'll come unstuck during reverse grids. He tends to just sit behind cars and wait for strategy, while Lowndes, Skaife, Kelly, Murph etc barge their way through.

Anyone going to any rounds / races this year?

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
You already know how much I don't like the track in Bahrain (yes, they are using the F1 track), and I dislike the Chinese track as well, quite frankly, Hermann Tilke's designs are becoming boring and repetitive, a long straight with a hairpin.

Fair enough, Australia's race circuits aren't the best in the world, but atleast every second one is not designed or modified by Hermann Tilke. And the tracks that we do have, suit V8 supercars, I don't mind them going to New Zealand, but these teams do not have gigantic sized (F1) budgets and can not afford to go overseas 3 or 4 times a year.

Now, because of how close Adelaide and the Aus GP is, we have lost one of the best drivers in the field, Murph. And other teams are dragging cars out from 2002!

ohdato

HSC
Melbourne use to be at the start of March as well, use to be Melbourne then off to Adelaide 1-2 weeks after cant remember.

Turn 8 would have to be the biggest prang maker in Australian history...
To see Courtney drifting it was a laugh. That kid should of stuck it out in Europe (easy enough to say).

Lowndes will have it this year. I miss the old days of
him in the VT he killed it back in the day.

bizadfar

HSC
Yes, miss the domination of Lowndes too! Ever since Skaife started winning, it was becoming just as bad as F1 and Schumacher.

That race was pretty good, and especially turn 8. Who was on the radio, when they said something like this "You fucking....." Couldn't make out the rest, but you could definately make out those two words. Was it Skaife or Murhpy?

But after you watch some porsche cup and DTMs go around, V8 looks so much tougher.

I remember once, when there were VTs around, Lowndes was driving a VS HRT car in Surfers.

bahrain is a good track. Turn 4, look how wide it is, just begging for action.
Turns 5-6-7 combo. Turn 9 and 10 combo, easy to lock-up, and also sweeping turn 13.

Last edited:

shortygb

BOSer #13412
HSC
I dont agree with them going outside Australia and New Zealand, well for comeptition points at least. If AVESCO (i think its called V8 Supercars Australia now) wants to promote v8s overseas, then make it not for points.The great expenses of going overseas will disadvantage the smaller teams, plus i thought they wanted to keep costs of running a v8 team down, spending thousands on travelling costs isnt exactly cost effective.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Lowndes already has the championship, he just needs to finish. I can't wait until the enduros, triple 8 are going to pair up Lowndes and Whincup! What an almost unstoppable combination.

I don't think going overseas for no champion points isn't a good idea either, the teams used to have a cow about going to the F1 gp and then the Champ cars on the gold coast and getting no championship points for either. And since they added the Gold Coast race to the championship, its made racing more exciting, but drivers will always be drivers when they put their helmets on :p

Bahrain and China will loose their flavour of the month soon. There aren't enough bums on seats in either of the 2 countries. They don't understand V8 supercar racing, they won't watch all 13 rounds, they don't live and breathe v8 supercars, Tony just wants the money. Plus, the series does get heaps of air time in Europe and other parts of the world.

And about turn 8 at Adelaide, don't remove it, turn 8 is what makes Adelaide, Adelaide. Its like removing Eau Rouge from Spa - Francorchamps.
I'm pretty sure it was Skaife who said "You fucking .... "

Last edited:

ohdato

HSC
bizadfar said:
I remember once, when there were VTs around, Lowndes was driving a VS HRT car in Surfers.
That was 99 after he has his big crash at Cadler, still went on to win that series. That was a hot looking VS.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Argonaut said:
... Cape, it's been ONE race so far, he doesn't have it in the bag. Besides, weren't you complaining about how all the teams that had a bad weekend had to really pull the stops out to make the AGP this week?
Even Lowndes was the one, before Adelaide who came out and said that he can win the championship. Triple 8 has the car speed on everyone (except maybe murph in NZ). Triple 8's cars weren't really badly damaged to say Murphs, Courtneys and Skaifes cars, I noticed today when they showed Albert Park, that Skaifes car wasn't there.

Argonaut said:
Hey, the JGTC - which James Courtney drove in up until this year - go to Sepang and it's one of the most popular events on the calendar, so why can't it work for us? You've written Bahrain and Shanghai off before they ever had a chance to shine (the Chinese LOVED last year's Shanghai round, even if they didn't use the full F1 track, which I suspect will also happen at Bahrain)
I have never watched the JGTC, wouldn't even know what tracks they race on. The only thing that I know about it is the weight penalty you get for winning a race. Plus Sepang is miles better than Shanghai. And like I said, they will use the F1 track for the V8s, there is no possible way of shortening Bahrain.

Argonaut said:
"Not enough bums on seats" she says, even though China has a population of somewhere in the 1.1 billion? Bahrain is also one of the most accessible and populated Arab nations, so stop whinging. you can't do anyhting about it anyway.
100,000 people turned out to watch the race in Shanghai, says something, doesn't it. And I don't know if you watched the Bahrain F1 race, but most of the grandstands were empty!

Argonaut said:
Doesn't matter if he said it, he'll get away with it. Fucking Skaife. Fucking Murphy and Fucking Rick Kelly.
Fucking Holdens.
They always get away with everything, they are cheaters after all :D

Sorry Kylie, but I agree, Rick is a dangerous kid. Remember a certain Rick Kelly brake testing on the streets of the Gold Coast?
Oh and Kylie, why the hell are they going from Adelaide to Phillip Island? Its Adelaide to Albert Park, dilly dag!

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Argonaut said:
Cape, there's a difference between saying you can win the championship and actually winning the damn thing!
I'm well aware of that, thanks Argonaut.

But you can't deny that Lowndes did have a great end of the season last year, and the fact that Ingall won the championship, by finishing an average of 7th throughout the year.

I think the championship will be between triple 8, HRT and HSV. Theres too much orange in the grid this season.

bizadfar

HSC
ohdato said:
That was 99 after he has his big crash at Cadler, still went on to win that series. That was a hot looking VS.
Yea he also crashed it there, but not really major.

Cape, so what? Consistancy is the key to winning, something that your favourite F1 team had over years and years lol.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Yes, consistency is the way to win the championship. Ingall demonstrated it perfectly last year.
He won 1 round, 2 races, yet by driving around inside the top 10 all season, he wins the championship.

Argonaut = the next Hermann Tilke. But no, you can't have a race there! Armidale is in whoop whoop land :p
But I hope AVESCO or whatever the hell they are called get their act together and create a Sydney street race.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
Adelaide was pretty good. I don't watch much sport/motorsport and I left for a short break WHEN the major crashes happened but lucky they showed highlights afterwards. That was mad. I wish there was a third competitor... ahem Toyota cough... :p but yay for Ford! They race was pretty interesting watching the cars overtaking and being overtaken quite regularly unlike previous races I've watched, that being not many. When is WRC? Is F1 interesting cause I've never really been interested in F1? I'll check it out this weekend anyways. Oh and Shanghai wasn't that interesting.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Argonaut said:
Armidale is not "whoop whoop land"

And I don't know if I should be insulted or complimented by being likened to Tilke. The man's useless, though I've seen a concept sketch of an F1 track for Norway and I like. Plus, I like Sepang and Sakhir.
Its like 600km away from me, therefore its in whoop whoop land.

Tilke has designed some good tracks ... *thinks* .... *thinks* .... oh! Sepang!

transcendent said:
Adelaide was pretty good. I don't watch much sport/motorsport and I left for a short break WHEN the major crashes happened but lucky they showed highlights afterwards. That was mad. I wish there was a third competitor... ahem Toyota cough... but yay for Ford! They race was pretty interesting watching the cars overtaking and being overtaken quite regularly unlike previous races I've watched, that being not many. When is WRC? Is F1 interesting cause I've never really been interested in F1? I'll check it out this weekend anyways. Oh and Shanghai wasn't that interesting.
They were trying to introduce toyota and mitsubishi back in 2002 or 2003, but it was not popular with the fans.

F1 is currently boring as bat shit - although I'll still watch every race, the stretched faced blue team (renault) is always winning. But Albert Park is a good track to watch F1 on.

richz

FFS, holden all the way, Ford sux.

Watch out for skaifey, todd kelly, rick kelly, murph, garth tander, jason richards, stevey richards, and every other holden driver pwn Fords arse. Whincup is dropkick hu cant drive, he wont win anything else.

HOLDENS 2 DOMINATE THE REST OF THE SEASON. GO THE RED LION. ROARR!!!!!!

holden have 7/10 spots for the top ten shootout this weekend. Watch skaifey win this :D

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Funny, Holden had 8 in the top 10 after the shootout at the Clipsal 500, and Ford dominated the weekend.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)