VERY GOOD CHEMISTRY QUESTION!!!!! please help (1 Viewer)

samwell

HSC
This rxn can give an answer-
i.e: HCl + H2O<=>H3O+ + Cl-
When temp increases two things may actualli happen:
1. The water evaporated and the equillibria shifts to the left in order to reduce the effects of the lost h20 and do the ph increases.
2. The eqn shifts to the left as temp increases bcoz the eqn is an exothermic to reduce the disturbance caused. Therefore the ph increases.
In the procedure you could control the temperature and pressure in order to increase validity and reluiability. You could also set up a control experiment to compare the results of the changed conditions and the control. {good qsn}

HSC
In the above HCl water equation (im starting to forget alot of my chem so correct me if im wrong:)) water loss (due to evaporation) wouldn't be as bigger factor compared to using an organic acid, say, acetic acid.

HCl its a strong acid meaning it will ionise basically completely in solution. Acetic acid is a weak acid meaning it will only partially dissociate (partly ionise) in solution.

This means (assuming the solutions are of the same molarity) that there would be less water molecules in a HCl solution and more water molecules in an Acetic acid solution. Since pH is the measurement of the concentration of H+ ions in solution temperature variation will have a more drastic (<---Keyword!!!) affect on a weaker acid than a stronger acid.

I hope that helped :), just wanted to clarify.

Cheers!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)