Vet Science (1 Viewer)

izi

HSC
hey mambomeg did erin (ezmay?) manage to get into vet?

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Originally posted by ditzy_llama
Congrats everyone that got in!! Im considering doing vet science after i finish high school (got two years to go) ... can you guys keep me updated on how it all goes and whether it lives up to ur expectations etc ... and if there was any subjects u did for ur hsc that were a complete waste of time for vet sci?? Because I heard from a vet student at melbourne uni that physics and maths werent really that necessary ...
hmm well in 2 years time, theyre going to have vet sci offered at CSU ;) i know because its being offered for me as the first year.. i dont think i'd like to go that far though..

ohh and you need to sit the STAT test for Vet sci ? :cold:

izi

HSC
Originally posted by kimmeh
ohh and you need to sit the STAT test for Vet sci ? :cold:
only if you are transferring

ditzy_llama

Kimmeh are u serious about the vet science at csu?? Thats absolutely awesome that's like an hour from me ... might be able to bludge of the parents for a bit longer than anticipated lol! How did you find all this out?

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
Hey Izi, i think erin kinda gave up on getting into vet, i think she realised she couldnt really be bothered, a lot of ppl in animal sci who originally wanted to transfer sort of gave up.

To anyone wishing to transfer, i would reccommmend doing lots of work experience, especially joining WIRES (they really like that), you need at least in the 90th percentile in the stat test (yes its out of 200 but they also give u a rank, like the UAI) and a distinction average. I had about 4 weeks of work experience at small animal and mixed / rural practices, plus WIRES, RSPCA, Animal welfare league work, NPWS reptile keepers licence, plus they ask you to add whatever else, so i told them all the pets i had, and that i work in a boarding kennel and stuff like that. I think thats what got me in, the work experience.

Yes Vet science is being offerred at CSU wagga wagga starting next year i think, but there are issues there, the AVA is up in arms because they dont think that it will be able to maintain the high standards set by all the other uni's that offer vet. I think they will have like 45 places in first year, i saw an article on it in "the land" paper. It would be difficult being a new graduate from there because the uni wouldnt have had time to build up its reputation and such, so employers would be less willing to hire you. I dunno if they are gonna make the course specifically for rural students or if they'll make u agree to work in the country for so many years after graduating.

Ne hoo, i am officially enrolled and much looking forward to starting, my timetable kicks ass on last years! The enrollment people were kinda surprised at my enthusiasm, the photo lady laughed at me! hee hee.
Looking forward to all the kegs etc as well, ag didnt have that many, i mean we had a few, but nothing like what this sounds like. And i will be proudly out on the soccer field representing vet and kicking the med students asses! yay!.
I think its cool that they buddy u up with second years, like peer support at school!
Izi - question - safety boots - do they have to be steel capped or are just redbacks etc ok? just need to know coz i already have some.

thats all
oh i'm so glad this thread got up and happening! yay, fuels my enthusiasm!

izi

HSC
make sure they are steel capped coz you might end up with a crushed foot after working with horses

yeah, buddies are cool. its good to know someone from a higher year coz they give very valuable advice and warnings!

im so glad there are people on BOS doing vet! i was alone for a whole year with a bunch of commerce/law/arts/etc... people (not that i have anything against them. i was just lonely and couldnt discuss anything with anyone)

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Originally posted by izi
only if you are transferring
ohhh pokay.. thanks izi ;)
Originally posted by ditzy_llama
Kimmeh are u serious about the vet science at csu?? Thats absolutely awesome that's like an hour from me ... might be able to bludge of the parents for a bit longer than anticipated lol! How did you find all this out?
yah it is ;) i cant remeber where i saw it though. i was thinking about it and what the uai would be for it.. probably near to match USYD's-possibly higher because they might have "better facilities"
Originally posted by Mambomeg
Yes Vet science is being offerred at CSU wagga wagga starting next year i think, but there are issues there, the AVA is up in arms because they dont think that it will be able to maintain the high standards set by all the other uni's that offer vet. I think they will have like 45 places in first year, i saw an article on it in "the land" paper. It would be difficult being a new graduate from there because the uni wouldnt have had time to build up its reputation and such, so employers would be less willing to hire you. I dunno if they are gonna make the course specifically for rural students or if they'll make u agree to work in the country for so many years after graduating.
CSU i think are looking more of rural practices.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
yeah but the problem would be that ppl would do vet at CSU and then just move into the cities, coz thats where the majority of vets want to work, and the AVA doesnt want vet overload or anything. You cant just learn rural practice, you have to be able to do small animals and stuff aswell, and while u can focus particulary on rural stuff, it wont help u much when u are competing with city vets for jobs in the cities.
The main problem they are having is ensuring that the standards of teaching and examination etc are equal to that of other uni's, like a final year exam at CSU has to be as hard as one at USd or Unimelb or Murdoch.

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
but you'd expect them to do some work experience in rural areas, right?
plus vets in the city dont make alot, do they?
hmm yeah standards need to be kept the same as USYD, if not, better, otherwise they'd have a bad rep.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
yeah but vets at Sydney have to do rural work experience too. I dunno how its gonna work, i dont really understand why they think Aus needs another vet faculty anyways, i mean its not like theres a shortage of vets, and we dont want vet overload coz it would cause employment issues and stuff.

Ahh, continuing romantic images of james herriot - suddenly brought back to reality when i was dacked by a dog at work today, i am having a secret love affair with a dalmation named milo, he humps me every time i go near him. he's pretty cute though!

ditzy_llama

i can understand why they want a rural vet school, because their are major shortages in rural vets! The cities have heaps but apparently there is going to be a crisis in agriculture and stuff if they dont attract more vets to the rural areas coz the majority of graduates go to the cities and work with kittens and poodles lol!! I think its great that they are starting one at csu, if they keep the standards the same as the city unis,

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
yeah but the problem is that most of the vets from CSU will prob end up in the cities and the problem wont be solved. Why dont the have rural schemes like for medicine where u get in for lower marks if u agree to work in a rural area for so many years? That would be so much better.
I want to work in a rural area, but not fully in whoop whoop, like out of a major centre like dubbo or somewhere. Then its just like living in the suburbs of a city anyway, except u have the night duty and stuff.

izi

HSC
ive read that they teach mostly large animal medicine in the course, but there is still a small animal component so those vets can still go to the cities to work. so if the reason that they want to start this course is out of desperation for large animal vets, they should teach large animal medicine only so that those vets are restricted to the farms. coz there are people out there that want to be large animal vets only, so it would work out.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
but thats not entirely practical, coz theyd be useless if they couldnt treat working dogs and stuff, its kind of an all in one deal. They should just offer better incentives for country vets, i mean its not the ideal lifestyle, getting up at all hours to go deliver calves and stuff. Its worse than for doctors even, but vets get no incentives like doctors do. Vets are totally unappreciated by society i think, but that doesnt stop me from wanting to be one.

izi

HSC
some country vets get incentives. i saw some ads for country vets in aus vet journal offering incentives. but thats probably nothing compared to doctors. i do agree that vets are not that well appreciated compared to doctors, but who gives a f@#$ (read my sig)
im sure csu will sort it all out and do whats best

anyways, is anyone here a WIRES carer? i really want to become one now coz we just moved into a house (finally! after living in flats for the past 12 years). is it too much of a responsibility, does it interfere with studying??

trinity

Originally posted by izi
anyways, is anyone here a WIRES carer? i really want to become one now coz we just moved into a house (finally! after living in flats for the past 12 years). is it too much of a responsibility, does it interfere with studying??
yeh me too! how does it work? is it a constant thing, or on and off?

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
yes i am a WIRES carer ( i have my finger in many pots) you have to do a basic training course over a weekend or over 2 saturdays, and then you are allowed to do rescues, and care for birds, lizards, and all that sort of stuff. If u want to care for possums you have to do another course, and the same for snakes, macropods and flying foxes.
I've been a member for almost a year (you can only be a carer when u are 18) and i've had, maybe 20 animals in my care, mostly birds, but the occasional overnight possum and a few lizards (haha, most had just dropped their tails in fright and people rang up wanting them to get vet attention)

Rescues are usually pretty easy, people usually have the animals in cages or boxes already, and some are dropped off at vets and you just pick them up from there and they've already been treated and stuff, so thats cool. When they need vet attention, most vets are cool bout it, like you dont have to pay or anything.

It never rains, it pours, so in one week i might get 5 call outs and then i'll have nothing for a month, so it doesnt interupt with your studies, the call centre has a list of when u are available and the (generally) dont call u if you are put down as unavailable, like for work and stuff.

Generally birds and stuff dont require that much care, like you feed them once or twice or however often a day,and leave them alone the rest of the time so you dont stress them out. A lot of rescues end up being euthanased, i mean if an animal is weak enought to be caught by humans its in pretty bad shape, but we get lots of orphans (possums usually), fledglings that cant quite fly yet, concussed birds etc, escaped pets (lorikets, cockatiels, cockatoos), lorikeets with runners, cockies with beak and feather disease, all that sort of stuff.

There are always people to help you when u have no idea what you are doing, the animal coordinators are really helpful (my insectivore and nectivore coordinator Rebecca is a fifth year vet student at Usyd) and you meet other new members at the training course who you can buddy up with. There are monthly meetings too, but i have to admit, i cant often go coz i am working nights usually, but you get newsletters and meeting minutes and stuff.
There are also fundraising events and stuff you can help at if u want, raising public awareness and stuff like that.

You can do as much or as little as you like, if you are going away on holidays, just tell them, and they wont call you, if u want time off for exams and stuff, they fully understand, almost everyone is a volunteer so you're all in the same boat.
Everyone is very friendly, helpful and flexible, usually its the stay at home mums and retirees that do most of the long term caring, like for possums and roos and stuff, but every little bit helps, its better for a brd etc to be euthanased than to be pecked to death by mynah birds, so ever when an animal dies, its still a successful rescue, saving them from unnessecary pain and stuff.

If u have an aviary, they will love u, but if u dont, it doesnt matter, i dont, and whenever an animal has been ready for release t just goes to someone with an aviary, all the animals get passed around, buddied up with others etc to be successfully released.

Anyway, hope i've helped, yay! join, its good fun, so interesting and u learn so much, i love it. The number if you want to enquire or join is 8977 3333 ( in syd) They'll tell you when the next training course is. any q's, just ask, i am very talkative (you may have noticed!)

trinity

That sounds really cool...but then what happens if ur looking after an animal and you have to go to uni for the day?

oh and also how do most vetsci ppl get to uni- walking from redfern (cos it's on the opposite side of the campus) or that bus that goes right to the gate on parramatta rd?

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
well then u go to uni, most animals dont need round the clock care, and the ones that do would go to someone who can provide that, like a retiree or stay at home mum - (by the way, we did sign a form saying we wouldnt bring animals into uni, so you couldnt just rock up with a joey in your backpack) Sometimes you just rescue animals and deliver them to other ppl if u cant care for them, ppl are alwasy swapping animals, taking on extra's, etc, if u need to get rid of one in a hurry there is always someone to take it from u, like if u have to go on hols or to a funeral or whatever, its very flexible.

I walk from redfern, mainly because i need the exercise, and i can meet up with ppl on the way, but if i am feeling lazy then i get the bus - but i dont like central station, and there is still a hike from the bustop at central to the trains, and at central you have to walk past hungry jacks - not a good thing at the end of the day!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)