Vietnam war questoin? (1 Viewer)

321caleb

HSC
Hello :) History yearlies are coming soon and the study guide said to know this please help me

Australias involvement in the Vietnam war. Was it right or wrong? Reasons for and against

thankss

maths94

HSC
Hello :) History yearlies are coming soon and the study guide said to know this please help me

Australias involvement in the Vietnam war. Was it right or wrong? Reasons for and against

thankss

i do not really like history but il take a crack at your question. The south vietnamese (democratic) were fighting north vietnam (communism}. there was a civil war which outbroke...naming it Vietnam war. <--just brief intro

The south vietnamese did not really want Australia;s help or any1's help in that fact. What Australia did was send ''government officials'' to south vietnam. these officials then talked to the south vietnam army saying how you guuys would benefit from Australias help. Australias main aim was to stop communism. So that was seen to how they got involved.

Was it right:

- Yes, it stopped communism.

Was it wrong:

- It wasnt our war to fight in.

- Conscription making many people angry especially mothers and the group save our sons.

- Overall the people of Australia did not want to enter another war..

hope that helped.

maths94

HSC
despite the fact the communists won lol....wasn't exactly 'stopping communism', thats what it intended to do, but the outcome just highlighted the irrational belief in the domino theory....essentially just a proxy war...[/QUOTE]

yess truee...the australian government said in its Advertising posters....if south vietnam goes( goes to communism) will Australia be next ... so we must stop the communist state of North Vietnam NOW b4 it gets to australia

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
despite the fact the communists won lol....wasn't exactly 'stopping communism', thats what it intended to do, but the outcome just highlighted the irrational belief in the domino theory....essentially just a proxy war...
Yeah, if i got this question i'd argue that it was "wrong" too. I'd say that it was a proxy war used by the different idealogies to compete against each other militarily.

Learning about the cold war in modern really does highlight how stupid Domino Theory was XD

Sngbrd06

HSC

thankss
Well it was both right and wrong, I guess.

Right, because it was stopping the threat of communism - which relates to the Foreign Policy: domino theory, powerful allies, support, forward defence, etc.

Wrong, because it wasn't Australia's war to fight, many believe it should have just been a civil war... until the Americans got involved.

Also wrong in regards to conscription, implemented by Menzies in 1964. Australian men were given no choice and if refused to go to war, were sent to jail (unless they were studying for a degree or were a conscientious objector)

That's just a brief summary from my notes, but it's pretty much all in the textbook.

Amogh

HSC
N/A
i do not really like history but il take a crack at your question. The south vietnamese (democratic) were fighting north vietnam (communism}. there was a civil war which outbroke...naming it Vietnam war.
i believe it was essentially a fight against capitalism, though then, capitalism was closely linked with democratic societies.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Reasons for Australia's involvement in the Vietnam War were Australia's alliance commitments such as ANZUS and SEATO, the belief in the principle of forward defence, the fear of communism broken down into the areas of Menzies idea of "kicking the communism can" and his policy on anti-communism, belief in the domino theory and Harold Holt's "all the way with LBJ
and support for USA policy of containment.

Groups that supported the war were the Australian Liberal Country Party (something along those lines) and the RSL.

Reasons against Australia's involvement are it wasn't our war to begin with, Australia only joined the war to prove it's self as a valuable alliance to the United States, conscription or national service (unless under the grounds of moral objector) and the war lost support from the Australian people. It was a fail campaign to start off with, Douglas McArthur (commander of the UN) believed persisting with the war will not stop the threat of communism nor could Australia fight in the jungle (Guerilla Warfare).

Groups that were against the war were the Australia Labour Party, trade unions, Save Our Sons and etc.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
capitalism....? i say this had a factor because cold war was essentially capitalism vs communism, but i think this opposition occurs on the proxy scale - ultimately the vietnamese were fighting for their chosen political system...

but i dont do any histories, this is just my opinion....
+1

The Vietnam War was seen by the United States and Australia as an agressive push of communism down South East Asia. However this notion was incorrect, it was designed to unite the country.

The Cold War was tension between the two powerhouses - the United States and the USSR (Soviet). It was ultimately a conflict between the capitalist world and the communist world.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)