Views of History (1 Viewer)

kevash

YAY proposal handed in! now onto historical theories.

does anyone know where its possible to to get a summary of postmodernism, post-structure, the annales school etc.

i'm sooo sick of reading History and the Historians by Warren.

Cheers

Last edited:

J3sska

oh my god so am i, i kinda keep barring it off caus he is so boring, i just skim and read bits i hav to at this stage. very yuk indeedy

~dEjA vOuX~

Home Brand
HSC
I hate that book too! I try to scab as many sheets off the teacher as I can...they are so much more interesting!

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Yes, definitely. I say we buy some planes and then bomb a) Mr. Warren, b) the publishers and c) all the other historians for being too lazy to write a similar, yet better book than this.

Tenille

the one & only
HSC
Originally posted by ~dEjA vOuX~
me! pick me! :D
YES!, you can come

im sure we could all write a better book, come on it will be totally fun!!!

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
we have the warren book but we dont use it much (more as "extra reading") we have this huuuuge book of photocopies of seven thousand reading or something...add it to the burning list :D

Nerissa

We haven't started the 'What is History' topic yet, as we're doing our case study Appeasement - will start the former next term. Perhaps that's why I am so confused...Would someone mind explaining to me what this book 'History and the Historians' is? And where do I get it (preferably, where do I borrow it?) Sarah168 - what's the name of the 7000 page book? Or is it just a compilation? And where can I get it?
AAHHH!! Soooo stressed. Teacher too laid back. Any help would be greatly appreciated - also with my thread about my project. Huggles,
Nerissa

B1

haha warren is soo funny... he is talking about Jenkins and keeps adding comments in brackets-like Jenkins says.... (i think) and he seems overy fond of the word "indeed" every 5 sentences. anyway who talks about objective history, subjectively. warren does. contradictory man.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
nerissa: its a compilation book made by my teacher and u cant buy it anywhere unfortunately

its strange that u did the case study before u understood historioraphy by doing the readings...its better to do it the other way around

MicK_eT

Terry mate!
do u guys have a new book now?
hmm... and how ocme no one seems to be doin elizabeth this yr?....
do u still have that horrible source book thing with all the articles in it....

MicK_eT

Terry mate!
also.. um in the history and the historians that i had when i did it.. it had an explanation.. and summary of what each of those thingos meant... annales school of thought is good to use... i dont think many ppl refer to them in th exams... and it helps witht he whole diff perspec of history.. being the whole lookin at total hist and all.. watever.. i dunno...

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
dont worry, im doing elizabeth as well for the case study, she;s the 2nd or 3rd most popular oveall, the JFK is the most popular

Plebeian

Is this 7000-page thing the Book of Readings? ie excerpts from different works by historians. I thought that was given out by the Board of Studies, but maybe not.

Nerissa, History and the Historians is sort of a short overview book of historiography, going pretty much chronologically through different schools of historical thought. It is actually a briefer version of "The Past and Its Presenters", also by Warren. A quick search for History and the Historians on the USyd catalogue: you could borrow it from the Fisher Library (due back 13/4) or from the Conservatorium of Music.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
it isnt just exerpts from historians works. there is some of that but that would only make up about 30% of the whole book. it analyses the historical cintructions and stuff too

nessie_lee

Povo Uni Student!
Knights territory.... and I'm a Doggies supporter!
HSC
we have that book of readings from the board of studies, but that's it.... which is cool, coz by the sounds of it, this warren book is a bore! sheets are cool.... you're not as overwhelmed by the whole thing.. did anyone have a half yearly for ext?

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
i didnt have a half yearly but i had an in class essay and got 24/25. woo hoo! it was about perspectives and points of view in the construction of history.

Emma8701

Sarah168 we have 2 do the same thing next week...did u have 2 refer your answer 2 three historians? if so which three did u use?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)