Visual Arts? Is it worth it? (1 Viewer)

sundirtwater

HSC
heyy...

this is a first for me
but
i was wondering if i should do va in yrs 11+ 12
my teacher really wants me to do it
and i put it down in my intial selection....
i just want to know you guy's thoughts, if you think it would be worth it or can it become completley time consuming?

cheers
x

Shan4curry

HSC
It is mainly time consuming (in terms of practical work) outside of school, not inside. If you decide to continue it in Year 12, you will have to commit yourself to creating a Major Work. That itself requires time and patience.

Also remember it's a balance of theory and prac. work. You'll still have a Visual Arts HSC exam even though it's a creative subject. Thing is, essay writing about artworks involves some extent of Bs'ing, because you are the critic, therefore your views are incorporated into your responses. It's kind of flexible...but that's just my view.

slowdanceee

HSC
ahh same here. i put it down for initial selection but i still don't know if i should do VA or not :\ my theory is pretty weak though.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
I would say only do it if your practical is very strong, many people choose it as a bludge/easy subject but the problem is that there are so many very talented arists doing VisArts that if your not up to a high standard, you'll just get crucified.

Dont worry about the theory side of it, its such bullshit anyone who can string a couple of sentences together can get a band 6 ie:
"The harsh, heavy brushstrokes compliment the deep red colour, providing insight to the artists emotional state when they blah blah fucking blah"

gloworm14

HSC
N/A
if you enjoy art then go for it
the theory side has alot of room for you to bs, but the most time consuming thing would be the major body of work, but if you do bits and pieces of it throughout the year then you will be fine.
Tip: if you decide to choose it, dont wait till the last minute to do the body of work. it is supposed to be a progressive thing and you should represent all your progress in your diary throughout the year.

slowdanceee

HSC
-may-cat- said:
many people choose it as a bludge/easy subject but the problem is that there are so many very talented arists doing VisArts that if your not up to a high standard, you'll just get crucified.
yeah a lot of people in my VA class now picked it because they thought it was a bludge.. but they got proved wrong this yearrrr.

Shan4curry

HSC
slowdanceee said:
yeah a lot of people in my VA class now picked it because they thought it was a bludge.. but they got proved wrong this yearrrr.
Hehehe, practical is no bludge. Theory's like what everyone else has said, a load of BSing. =D I'm good at that. XD
Hahaha, I still remember back during the first week of Year 11 when about 5-10 people dropped. Yes, within that week. ;P

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
It depends if you want to do any other subjects with major works. If not you should be fine (most people are fine with one major work). Some do more but it is extremly stressful.

It really just comes down to how much you want to do it and how well you think you will do in it.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
What other sunjects did you choose to go with it. I found VA rewarding and fun, and theory is really just bs. If you can say red = pain, love, hatred anger your done, but the hardest theory part is remebering names of paintings in the final essays thats it really.

sundirtwater

HSC
yeah no thanks heaps everyone...
i haven't chosen any other subjects with major works:D

i might just give it a shot and if i hate it i'll just change and no real harm done!?!?!

should be good.
looking forward to doing some extreme b'sing!!!!
hahahaha
;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)